3 point stance, NU's D needs fixed

C N Red

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/tag/_/name/3-point-stance

3. It is inconceivable that Nebraska went 10-4 and scored a minimum of 30 points in each of those four losses. It is unfathomable that the school that made black shirts famous gave up five touchdown passes to Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray. It is mind-boggling that the Huskers gave up 70 points to Wisconsin and 63 to Ohio State. It’s also pretty easy to figure out Job No. 1 for head coach Bo Pelini over the next eight months. If he can fix his defense, Nebraska -- and maybe the Big Ten -- will return to power.

Seriously, does anyone doubt Bo can fix the D again? He did it once. Then he fixed the offense. Now he has to fix the D again, something he's already done here, twice. Why is there so little confidence that he can do it again?

Because this is Nebraska. We are entitled to somebody who doesn't have to fix things multiple times. That and patience doesn't exist.

Seriously, does anyone doubt Bo can fix the D again? He did it once. Then he fixed the offense. Now he has to fix the D again, something he's already done here, twice. Why is there so little confidence that he can do it again?

Because this is Nebraska. We are entitled to somebody who doesn't have to fix things multiple times. That and patience doesn't exist.

Ah yes. The "entitlement" concept. Awesomeness sir. Well done.

• Fire 3

nah, he cant fix the defense. He needs to go, and we need to start over with a whole new offense, its just not good enough... We are Nebraska

:sarcasm

haha beat me to it.

1. He has to fix it with his players - hasn't done that yet. This is the first time he's been anywhere long enough for people to see what a program made up entirely of his recruits looks like, and while I think there are various positives (strong character, good academic standing, few off-the-field issues, explosive offense), the defense was horrendous this year.

2. He needs to do it in time to take advantage of a championship level offense (which we had this year, and which we should have again next year), and a vulnerable 2013 schedule.

I'm sure he can. I don't think he'll be able to do it in one offseason with a bunch of guys who have played little or no D1 football. And I have no good reason to believe he'll be able to keep it going at a high level for an extended period of time (over the course of several seasons).

I have my doubts about the system. I really can't figure out why it has looked so good at times then so terrible at others. The facts are that the Nebraska defense gave up multiple record performances this season. The fact that it is Bo's fifth season I'm sure had peoples expectations set pretty high. The fact that you see no reasons for people to have doubts is strange because honestly the entire rest of the country sees some real problems here with this defense. You can't tell me everyone sees it but you?

Now saying there is a problem doesn't have to mean your a bad fan or that your anti-Bo Pelini. It just means your acknowledging the clear fact that there are some ral problems defensively right now. No big deal. I agree with you it can be fixed. The problem is Bo nor anyone else for that matter seems to have an answer. Bo has repeatedly been quoted as saying he doesn't know how to fix it. I'd rather not hear the head coach say that but it is what it is.

I know this, I refuse to simply blame these players and the talent here. I also won't outright blame the coaches. We were out coached multiple times,we were also outplayed. If the talent is on the sideline it is the coaches responsibility to get it on the field. If Bos scheme can work, he is going to have to prove it again. No doubt it has worked in the past but the past isn't doing anything for the players awaiting the start of next season.

Plenty of us here have noted a very talented crew of young players moving through the ranks here. Their time is now. I believe there is talent and it is the responsibility of these coaches to prepare them and teach them. Utilize what you have to produce the finest product you can. In my opinion there are no more excuses, next seasons schedule really provides us an opportunity to be in the conversation at the end. The season is over , the time for talk is over. Let the hard work begin.

• Fire 1

You don't see the contradiction in your statement? ".....fix the D again, something he's already done here, twice" I take to mean he had to fix Solich's D, then Callahan's. Now he has to fix Pelini's D?

Your contradiction is spot on though. Thats why there are some that think the program is headed in the correct direction under Bo and others that aren't so sure.

This year was another year like the rest. We beat no one, won nothing, and lost 4 games. Next year will be like last sentence but replace 4 with 3 on losses. Recruiting recruiting recruiting. Flood the Juco ranks for some animals

i feel like bo is building a power house, he seems to run a tight ship keeping kids outta trouble etc. it will take some time with younger assistants, and younger head coach. i think if he were to be a bit less stubborn on his defensive line scheme we might have won yesterday and perhaps ucla, i wont make excuses for osu or wiscy. Anyway, if he gets out of his own way and simplifies the d line scheme, we would have a good offense and decent defense.=no more blowouts, some ccg wins, and a shot for the mnc. every now and then. It is on Bo to do this, (if what i am saying is the answer idk..lol) i hope its that easy

Because the D was bad at run D in 2010, was bad in general 2011 and even worse in 2012 with 3 of the worst 8 defensive performances in NU's history. There is nothing that indicated Bo will reverse this trend. It is more likely that OCs have figured out Bo.