Ameer's Fumble

EZ-E

Funny that this was such a crucial play but they didn't show replays of it. I think they showed close in shots of Ameer on replay a time or two. But they didn't say or show anything of the ref whistling the play dead, did they? You'd think that would be important for an announcer to mention that if it happened, wouldn't you?

What the viewer sees and what the replay officials see are two completely different things. The television broadcasters have screens in their booth allowing them to pull up their own replays, slow down replays, show different angles, etc. There was one opposite-side-angle shot that was shown once by the broadcast crew, but I bet the replay officials looked long and hard at the shot multiple times and were unable to come away with indisputable evidence. The call was a fumble on the field. Whether that was the right call to make is irrelevant by the time it goes to replay, because all that matters then is collecting indisputable evidence to uphold the call or overturn it.

Yeah, we all know that. I was talking about the announcers. It seems like they would've mentioned this--the play apparently being whistled dead. I guess I just didn't think they did a very good job at calling the game is all.

Funny that this was such a crucial play but they didn't show replays of it. I think they showed close in shots of Ameer on replay a time or two. But they didn't say or show anything of the ref whistling the play dead, did they? You'd think that would be important for an announcer to mention that if it happened, wouldn't you?

What the viewer sees and what the replay officials see are two completely different things. The television broadcasters have screens in their booth allowing them to pull up their own replays, slow down replays, show different angles, etc. There was one opposite-side-angle shot that was shown once by the broadcast crew, but I bet the replay officials looked long and hard at the shot multiple times and were unable to come away with indisputable evidence. The call was a fumble on the field. Whether that was the right call to make is irrelevant by the time it goes to replay, because all that matters then is collecting indisputable evidence to uphold the call or overturn it.

Yeah, we all know that. I was talking about the announcers. It seems like they would've mentioned this--the play apparently being whistled dead. I guess I just didn't think they did a very good job at calling the game is all.

I do believe Palmer said something about the play being called dead and why it would possibly be over turned, even though it was a fumble. I could be wrong on the announcer who stated this, but it was one of the three. Needless to say, I was very impressed with the announcers and wouldn't mind them every game.

The big problem was how the offense couldn't get over this play. It stuck in their craw, they said after the game. It took them out of sync. They needed to be ready for the next possession. It's the next play that counts. This is a problem. Overcome adversity.

And Sirles got hurt.

meh that play sucked but I really think everyone is focusing too much on it. It didnt have as much of an impact on the game as the illegal pick play UGA ran, or the fact that time after time we couldn't make a stop on third and long. UGA's 3rd down conversion rate was the difference in the game IMO

You are correct, he did blow it dead. I have it DVR'd and you can clearly see it on the one of two camera angles they allowed us to see.

Are you saying you actually heard the whistle? I've watched the play several times and didn't hear a whistle, nor did I see any players react as though they heard the play whistled dead.

First rule in a fumble pile is you hold onto the ball until the ref physically reaches you and asks for the ball.

They never showed a replay from the opposite side (the side where you could actually see his knee).

I can't remember the other play, but it happened on another close call. Inadequate cameras or something.

That other play was when the Georgia player was falling into the endzone on the long TD score. They had no goal line camera angle, only from behind. That one was fairly easy to think the ball was across the line before his knee was down but still surprising that in this day and age they couldn't splurge for a few more cameras. I do understand though that play was way ahead of the LOS so they hadn't got caught up to the play yet. The fumble was extremely close from the 2 bad angles they showed. My gut feeling based on what I saw was that his knee was down before the ball came loose. There is no excuse for them not having an opposite side camera angle on that play. WTH are they doing? trying to cover the Cap One bowl with 2 or 3 cameras and a shoestring budget? I blame ESPN for that deal.

They never showed a replay from the opposite side (the side where you could actually see his knee).

I can't remember the other play, but it happened on another close call. Inadequate cameras or something.

That other play was when the Georgia player was falling into the endzone on the long TD score. They had no goal line camera angle, only from behind. That one was fairly easy to think the ball was across the line before his knee was down but still surprising that in this day and age they couldn't splurge for a few more cameras. I do understand though that play was way ahead of the LOS so they hadn't got caught up to the play yet. The fumble was extremely close from the 2 bad angles they showed. My gut feeling based on what I saw was that his knee was down before the ball came loose. There is no excuse for them not having an opposite side camera angle on that play. WTH are they doing? trying to cover the Cap One bowl with 2 or 3 cameras and a shoestring budget? I blame ESPN for that deal.

Great memory, that was the play. I didn't question the ruling at all, I was just dumbfounded they didn't have more cameras. It was funny too, you could see a cameraman in the perfect position (he was probably local).

Can't believe on 3rd and 1 they didn't have a view from the other side of the field on the fumble.

E-ZE... yes the back judge did run in ruling him down and when he did run in, the whistles were already blowing! When i watched it live, i was furious and yelling at the TV because the play was blown dead right after Ameer went down and before everybody dog-piled on top for the ball. That was only one of many bad calls in that game!