Bama: Best program ever?

if you are talking in the history of college football??pretty tough to argue, they have a lot of natl champiosnhips...if they go 5 champs in 6 years or more, yeah for sure...

what is scary is saban probaby will never retire...and they could put another bunch on the pile...

it was at this point TO retired and its been a rough ride since.

Our first win was almost 20 years ago. Bama's last win was last night. They are remembered, we are forgotten.

IMO, we are, hands down, the better run. Look out our ranked wins, margin of victory etc......

This is what I would really like to see compared. Unfortunately, outside of Nebraska media types, I don't think the folks at ESPN (or other national sports media outlets) will spend the time researching this stuff

It's fun discussion. I have no problem equaling the two. My whole anger in all this is I just wish espn the talking morons would just notate that this has been done before, the we did goin undefeated all three years, and we did with a bunch of walk-ons as well. Yes, the argument is also there that Bama is doing it in a more competitive environment College Football. Obviously if Bama wins it again next year, discussion is over.

Interesting question: What if Osborne coaches another 10 years. Then, I say ESPN is now talking about Saban trying to catch Tom's 8 or 9 titles. I know that sounds out there, but hey, once the train's rollin.......

SCROLL ALL THE WAY DOWN AND VOTE ON THE LAST POLL TOO.

I guarantee not everyone who voted on the first question made a vote for the last question. vote vote vote.

Did we share in 97? yes, but we were also undefeated... which is something that can only be said about one of the recent bama teams. Plus Bama had more than one close game. FOH.

As far as best program ever? It's hard to argue with a nation-leading 15? National championships. But jsut to throw this out there. What if we got the Sagarin involved and went and "found" us some titles in 20's in such. Seems to be the hot idea right now. I'm sure we could dig up enough to push us over 10.

Alabama will win this vote because most of the folks on ESPN these days weren't alive during our 90s run. And that's fine - they've had a hell of a four-year run, and they're one hell of an impressive team. It's nice to be in such company.

Now, if they win again next year.... that's gonna suck, because Nebraska's argument suddenly gets a little worse. All I can say is, it's nice to watch a great team play to their potential, and that's what the Tide did last night. It was a hell of a show.

As far as best program ever? It's hard to argue with a nation-leading 15? National championships. But jsut to throw this out there. What if we got the Sagarin involved and went and "found" us some titles in 20's in such. Seems to be the hot idea right now. I'm sure we could dig up enough to push us over 10.

According to this Wikipedia page, we have 11 "national championships." This counts every "championship" handed out by every major and minor selector. They have a chart breaking down who won which "championship" each year. It's interesting to see, and it's funny when you realize that teams like Michigan claim "championships" from some pretty weak selectors from way back in the day, but whatever.

Nebraska lays claim to five championships. We have trophies for all 11, but you'll never see the other six on display anywhere. Great programs don't have to rely on such things.

• Fire 5

I feel more impressed with Alabama's but it could be just because it is the more recent run.

In the three years for each:

Alabama beat more ranked opponents

Nebraska didn't lose at all.

Both teams had impressive performances in Bowl Games in their second and third years but shaky or less dominating wins in their first NC year.

I happen to think Bama's is the better of the two dynasties just because I respect the competition that they have faced more than the teams Nebraska faced. I think that It's much tougher to build a dynasty in a conference like the SEC where four other teams had won National Championships in the past decade or so (Auburn, LSU, Tennessee and Florida) than it is in the Big 8 where the only real consistent competition came from OU and only occasionally from Colorado.