Bama: Best program ever?

As far as best program ever? It's hard to argue with a nation-leading 15? National championships. But jsut to throw this out there. What if we got the Sagarin involved and went and "found" us some titles in 20's in such. Seems to be the hot idea right now. I'm sure we could dig up enough to push us over 10.

According to this Wikipedia page, we have 11 "national championships." This counts every "championship" handed out by every major and minor selector. They have a chart breaking down who won which "championship" each year. It's interesting to see, and it's funny when you realize that teams like Michigan claim "championships" from some pretty weak selectors from way back in the day, but whatever.

Nebraska lays claim to five championships. We have trophies for all 11, but you'll never see the other six on display anywhere. Great programs don't have to rely on such things.

Thanks for looking that up Knapp. I knew there had to be something of the sort.

I feel more impressed with Alabama's but it could be just because it is the more recent run.

In the three years for each:

Alabama beat more ranked opponents

Nebraska didn't lose at all.

Both teams had impressive performances in Bowl Games in their second and third years but shaky or less dominating wins in their first NC year.

I happen to think Bama's is the better of the two dynasties just because I respect the competition that they have faced more than the teams Nebraska faced. I think that It's much tougher to build a dynasty in a conference like the SEC where four other teams had won National Championships in the past decade or so (Auburn, LSU, Tennessee and Florida) than it is in the Big 8 where the only real consistent competition came from OU and only occasionally from Colorado.

We won our 1st with our backup qb. We may not have played as many ranked teams, but those games were not close either. But, like I said, I'm willing to conceded that they are currently equal, as long as it is acknoledged. ESPN did so this morning (it may have been a replay of last night's show), but this is a "what have you done for me lately" business. I mean, if Saban goes 8-4 the next two years, he'll be on the hot seat.

I feel more impressed with Alabama's but it could be just because it is the more recent run.

Both teams had impressive performances in Bowl Games in their second and third years but shaky or less dominating wins in their first NC year.

I happen to think Bama's is the better of the two dynasties just because I respect the competition that they have faced more than the teams Nebraska faced. I think that It's much tougher to build a dynasty in a conference like the SEC where four other teams had won National Championships in the past decade or so (Auburn, LSU, Tennessee and Florida) than it is in the Big 8 where the only real consistent competition came from OU and only occasionally from Colorado.

We won our 1st with our backup qb. We may not have played as many ranked teams, but those games were not close either. But, like I said, I'm willing to conceded that they are currently equal, as long as it is acknoledged. ESPN did so this morning (it may have been a replay of last night's show), but this is a "what have you done for me lately" business. I mean, if Saban goes 8-4 the next two years, he'll be on the hot seat.

That's part of what I was getting at in the beginning of my post. Much of the "awe factor" of a team is forgotten with time.

If Nebraska or any other team were to recreate that same run they had in the 90's starting next year maybe I'd be less impressed with the Tide.

That's part of what I was getting at in the beginning of my post. Much of the "awe factor" of a team is forgotten with time.

If Nebraska or any other team were to recreate that same run they had in the 90's starting next year maybe I'd be less impressed with the Tide.

I dont know buck. I'd probably still be jsut as impressed. Obviously Saban is a very humble, and complete workaholic.

I was born in Mobile Alabama and current live in Lincoln. I'm a fan of both programs. I get why they are compairing these two runs as they are pretty impressive. But the winner should go to Nebraska.

1. Nebraska went undefeated other then in 96

2. Nebraska won their conference championship each year during the run

3. Nebraska only has the asterix with 97 cause Michigan also went undefeated. Both teams played in seperate bowls and won

4. Alabama can not say any they also achieved any of the above

5. Alabama shouldn't of been in the national championship in 2011 as they couldn't win their own conference

6. Alabama only made it to the 2012 championship because of Ohio States bowl ban

I know some of yall are going to say well Nebraska played Miami in the national championship in 2001 and we didn't win the Texas Little 12 championship. Yes I know that, but I didn't agree with us being in that bowl game either. I just can't see how you can be claimed the champion of all of college football. When in the same year can't lay claim to champion of your own conference.

• Fire 2

I did some number crunching to see if my belief "that Bama has faced 'tougher' opponents" is true. Much of that depends on how one chooses to define "tough" but part of that definition might include a team's win percentage.

Combined Opponent Win Percentage

Alabama First Year - 60.12%

Nebraska First Year - 52.17%

Alabama Second Year - 58.82%

Nebraska Second Year - 57.14%

Alabama Third Year - 57.93%

Nebraska Third Year - 50.99%

You may respect their competition more, but it's not like they came out unscathed. They lost to that competition. Nebraska went undefeated and nobody can say that Nebraska would've lost to those teams too... you just can't say that.

• Fire 2

I was born in Mobile Alabama and current live in Lincoln. I'm a fan of both programs. I get why they are compairing these two runs as they are pretty impressive. But the winner should go to Nebraska.

1. Nebraska went undefeated other then in 96

2. Nebraska won their conference championship each year during the run

3. Nebraska only has the asterix with 97 cause Michigan also went undefeated. Both teams played in seperate bowls and won

4. Alabama can not say any they also achieved any of the above

5. Alabama shouldn't of been in the national championship in 2011 as they couldn't win their own conference

6. Alabama only made it to the 2012 championship because of Ohio States bowl ban

I know some of yall are going to say well Nebraska played Miami in the national championship in 2001 and we didn't win the Texas Little 12 championship. Yes I know that, but I didn't agree with us being in that bowl game either. I just can't see how you can be claimed the champion of all of college football. When in the same year can't lay claim to champion of your own conference.

Interesting. Musberger said our 97 title had an asterisk. Maybe he didnt acknowledge Bama's asterisk(s) because frankly, there are too many to list. :D

I did some number crunching to see if my belief "that Bama has faced 'tougher' opponents" is true. Much of that depends on how one chooses to define "tough" but part of that definition might include a team's win percentage.

Combined Opponent Win Percentage

Alabama First Year - 60.12%

Nebraska First Year - 52.17%

Alabama Second Year - 58.82%

Nebraska Second Year - 57.14%

Alabama Third Year - 57.93%

Nebraska Third Year - 50.99%

So, on average, Alabama played opponents with 5.5% more wins? That's what, two or three more wins over a three-year span?

I like to take this more than 3 years. Lets go 5, since they want to say that Bama has had 3 Titles in 5 years.

Alabama Rolltide

--------------------------------

08- 12-2 Non Conf Champs & No BCS

09- 14-0 Conf Champs & National Title

10- 10-3

11- 12-1 NO Conf Title & National Title

12- 13-1 Conf Champs & National Title

61-7, 2 Conference Championships, 3 National Titles, Capital One Bowl Winner

Our Beloved Huskers

--------------------------------------------

93- 11-1 Conference Champs & NCG Appearence

94- 13-0 Conference Champs & NCG Title

95- 12-0 Conference Champs & NCG Title

96- 11-2 Orangle Bowl Win

97- 13-0 Conference Champs & NCG Title

60-3, 4 Conference Championships, 4 National Title Appearences, 3 National Titles, Orangle Bowl Winner

This is one time where you can't make numbers work in your favor. It is exactly how you see it.

Even if you go back 3 years:

Alabama: 35-5, One Conference Championship, Lose BCS Game, 2 National Titles

Nebraska: 36-2, TWO Conference Championships, Orange Bowl Victory, 2 National Titles.

Just because you win a Back-Back Championship, doesn't mean you are the best program ever, especially when you didn't deserve to be in it in 2011. At least we can say we deserved to be there and earned our stripes and it wasn't given to us. In my opinion, 'Bama can sit back in the #2 spot.

There's something to be said for having to win the NC, versus being voted into the title. We all saw how difficult winning conference championships are in the Big12 when you actually have to play for them. If it was decided as the B1G had been in the past, with OSU ineligible we would have been named the B1G Champions and played in the Rose Bowl. But, since we had to win it, we found ourselves on the other side of the country.

Alabama has had to win these games. Not saying we wouldn't have - but the hoopla that today surrounds the conference championships we never played in, and the national championship game we never played in...changes the dynamics. What they've done is very impressive.