Bama: Best program ever?

I happen to think Bama's is the better of the two dynasties just because I respect the competition that they have faced more than the teams Nebraska faced.

The only reason we're having this discussion is because of Alabama's supposedly stronger competition - The only reason they had a chance to accomplish this feat was because people currently have such a hard-on for the SEC that they rematched Alabama and LSU in 2011 despite the fact that LSU had already beaten them.

It's utterly ridiculous that people are even arguing about this. Nebraska was undefeated in each of its national championship seasons, Alabama had two losses. Nebraska only lost 2 games over the span of four years, Alabama lost 5. In 2011, the year of Alabama's second national championship, they didn't even win their own division, much less their own conference. In 2012, the only reason Alabama made it to the national title game was because Ohio State was banned.

On top of that, Nebraska was a bad clipping call or a field goal away from another national championship in 1993, and they were arguably a flu bug away from playing for the national championship in 1996.

At this point in time, Nebraska's run was objectively better.

• Fire 2

This ALABAMA team did not go undfeated and is lucky to not have 3-4 losses they barely scraped by mediocre versions of lsu and Florida whom got destroyed in their bowl games and lost to a&m and had to have a blown call in their favor to barely get in the championship game. Nebraska scored 31 on the Georgia d compared to bamas 28 why is everyone buttering this team up? Mccarron is an ok qb and not great wiI l be fortunate to even be an nfl back up quarterback if he's lucky.

Alabama beat 7 teams that finished in the Top 10 in their 3 championship years:

Virginia Tech (34-24)

Florida (32-13)

Texas (37-21)

Arkansas (38-14)

LSU (6-9) (21-0)

Georgia (32-28)

Notre Dame (42-14)

Combined score: (266-152) vs. all Top 10 opponents, including (24-29) loss to Texas A&M

Alabama beat 11 teams that finished ranked in the Top 25 during their 3 championship years:

Virginia Tech (34-24)

Ole Miss (22-3)

LSU (24-15)

Florida (32-13)

Texas (37-21)

Arkansas (38-14)

LSU (6-9) (21-0)

Michigan (41-14)

LSU (21-17)

Georgia (32-28)

Notre Dame (42-14)

Combined score: (374-201) vs. all Top 10 opponents, including (24-29) loss to Texas A&M

Nebraska beat 8 teams that finished in the Top 10 during their 3 championship seasons

Colorado (24-7)

Miami (24-17)

Kansas State (49-25)

Colorado (44-21)

Kansas (41-3)

Florida (62-24)

Kansas State (56-26)

Tennessee (42-17)

Combined score: (342-140)

Nebraska beat 12 teams that finished in the Top 25 during their 3 championship seasons

Kansas State (17-6)

Colorado (24-7)

Miami (24-17)

Kansas State (49-25)

Colorado (44-21)

Kansas (41-3)

Florida (62-24)

Washington (27-14)

Kansas State (56-26)

Missouri (45-38)

Texas A&M (54-15)

Tennessee (42-17)

Combined score: (485-213)

Seems obvious to me.

• Fire 2

It's amazing how quickly people have forgotten just how good those Nebraska teams were. Modern-day Alabama is not on the same level. If you were to combine Oregon's offense and Alabama's defense - THAT was what Nebraska was like. The only reason Nebraska's defensive stats aren't as impressive as Alabama's is because the offense was so dominant that the reserves usually played most of the second half. Just looking at that Florida game - the Blackshirts gave up 10 points to an offense that was being called the greatest of all time, and then scored 9 of their own.

I'm going to say Nebraska................I respect Alabama and what they've done, but we were undefeated in all of our N.C. and won our conference during those years. Alabama didn't even win their own conference in 2011 and weren't even in the game. End of discussion IMO............................how about a Alabama vs. Nebraska N.C. next year to settle it? :lol:

It's fun discussion. I have no problem equaling the two. My whole anger in all this is I just wish espn the talking morons would just notate that this has been done before, the we did goin undefeated all three years, and we did with a bunch of walk-ons as well. Yes, the argument is also there that Bama is doing it in a more competitive environment College Football. Obviously if Bama wins it again next year, discussion is over.

Interesting question: What if Osborne coaches another 10 years. Then, I say ESPN is now talking about Saban trying to catch Tom's 8 or 9 titles. I know that sounds out there, but hey, once the train's rollin.......

It was not done "with a bunch of walk ons." IDK at what point that program became so overrated by Nebraska fans, but this takes the cake. The last year of the Big 8 (1995) it had 4 teams in the top 11 in the final rankings. NU #1, CU #2, KSU #7, and KU #11. That is every bit as competitifve ifnot moreso than what Alabama went through.

The Big 8 was doing fine and didn't need the 4 SWC teams added to the league for obivous reasons. And of course I'm still bitter about Texass not allowing the NU vs OU rilvary to keep on being played.

It's amazing how quickly people have forgotten just how good those Nebraska teams were. Modern-day Alabama is not on the same level. If you were to combine Oregon's offense and Alabama's defense - THAT was what Nebraska was like. The only reason Nebraska's defensive stats aren't as impressive as Alabama's is because the offense was so dominant that the reserves usually played most of the second half. Just looking at that Florida game - the Blackshirts gave up 10 points to an offense that was being called the greatest of all time, and then scored 9 of their own.

That is because the kids that we are somewhat trying to recruit were just being born during those years. Nebraska hasn't been on a national level since then and until we can at least play in a BCS Bowl, NU will still be irrevelant.

I feel more impressed with Alabama's but it could be just because it is the more recent run.

In the three years for each:

Alabama beat more ranked opponents

Nebraska didn't lose at all.

Both teams had impressive performances in Bowl Games in their second and third years but shaky or less dominating wins in their first NC year.

I happen to think Bama's is the better of the two dynasties just because I respect the competition that they have faced more than the teams Nebraska faced. I think that It's much tougher to build a dynasty in a conference like the SEC where four other teams had won National Championships in the past decade or so (Auburn, LSU, Tennessee and Florida) than it is in the Big 8 where the only real consistent competition came from OU and only occasionally from Colorado.

You may respect their competition more, but it's not like they came out unscathed. They lost to that competition. Nebraska went undefeated and nobody can say that Nebraska would've lost to those teams too... you just can't say that.

I can just say that. Manziel and a bunch of young Aggies would demolish the 1994 Nebraska football team if they played today. It wouldn't even be close. :P

But really you do make a good point. There is something to be said for NU not losing a single game during that period, and while they went undefeated they also, in my opinion, didn't play as good a competition as Alabama has but NU won those games like they should have...by a lot but then again Alabama's points for/against average is damn good too. I guess it comes down to how you want to measure it.

There is not definitive way to determine which had/has the better dynasty. The answer to that question is going to vary from person to person. I'm comfortable just letting them stand how they are, saying that both were amazing sets of teams and sitting back to see how Alabama plays the next few years out.

Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning, Danny Wuerfel (heisman winner), Kordell Stewart, Rasaan Salaam, Michael Westbrook, Chad May etc.... but you're right, Bama played waaaaaay better competition. *sarcasm*

I feel more impressed with Alabama's but it could be just because it is the more recent run.

In the three years for each:

Alabama beat more ranked opponents

Nebraska didn't lose at all.

Both teams had impressive performances in Bowl Games in their second and third years but shaky or less dominating wins in their first NC year.

I happen to think Bama's is the better of the two dynasties just because I respect the competition that they have faced more than the teams Nebraska faced. I think that It's much tougher to build a dynasty in a conference like the SEC where four other teams had won National Championships in the past decade or so (Auburn, LSU, Tennessee and Florida) than it is in the Big 8 where the only real consistent competition came from OU and only occasionally from Colorado.

You may respect their competition more, but it's not like they came out unscathed. They lost to that competition. Nebraska went undefeated and nobody can say that Nebraska would've lost to those teams too... you just can't say that.

I can just say that. Manziel and a bunch of young Aggies would demolish the 1994 Nebraska football team if they played today. It wouldn't even be close. :P

But really you do make a good point. There is something to be said for NU not losing a single game during that period, and while they went undefeated they also, in my opinion, didn't play as good a competition as Alabama has but NU won those games like they should have...by a lot but then again Alabama's points for/against average is damn good too. I guess it comes down to how you want to measure it.

There is not definitive way to determine which had/has the better dynasty. The answer to that question is going to vary from person to person. I'm comfortable just letting them stand how they are, saying that both were amazing sets of teams and sitting back to see how Alabama plays the next few years out.

Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning, Danny Wuerfel (heisman winner), etc.... but you're right, Bama played waaaaaaaaaaaay better competition. *sarcasm*

Peyton Manning doesn't hold a candle to Garrett Gilbert, Jordan Jefferson, and Everett Golson.