The Fighting Erstads vs CSU Bakersfield

The freshmen did pretty well in relief. Pierce didn't walk anybody, so maybe he was just too amped for the opener and that's why he was elevating the ball a little bit :dunno

he had a couple hit batters... and a couple wild pitches that either moved or scored runners... gotta shore those things up

The freshmen did pretty well in relief. Pierce didn't walk anybody, so maybe he was just too amped for the opener and that's why he was elevating the ball a little bit :dunno

he had a couple hit batters... and a couple wild pitches that either moved or scored runners... gotta shore those things up

To his credit, Pierce didn't throw any WPs. I try to pump sunshine wherever I can find it :waste

Boxscore

Although I was disappointed with Pierce today, I think the pitching staff will get things figured out. Its hard to go and win against teams that have been able to practice outdoors all year around. However I think we made many mental mistakes, have to fix BB, HBP, WP. I think if we just dont kill ourselves we will be alright. I thought going 2-2 this weekend would be a great start to the season and we still have a chance to do that. Split the series tomorrow and beat USC. This was in no way a bad loss, we seemed a bit tight at the plate and the timing isnt there early in the season so to scratch across 4 runs really isnt bad. try to stay the course and be at .500 heading into BIG 10 play and then win the conference. I think we will be ok, i have faith in our coaches and the kids will continue to play hard.

im not sure what or why anyone thought our pitching would be a strong point. like last year our o won many games... looks like it will have to be much of the same this year

Exactly. If we're going to be winning games we are going to have to do it with the offense. It's one game, the offense can definitely come around and the pitching will hopefully improve, but I don't see it being a strong point at all. Coming into this weekend I expected a 1-3 weekend, and if we get that, we'll still be right on pace to what I expected. The non-con schedule is made to make us ready for Big Ten play. Winning the conference is our ticket to the tourney, not an at large. We should not be banking on an at large as long as the Big Ten stays as it is in baseball. Obviously if we play amazing, have a great record, and get upset, we'll get an at large, but that's not the focus of this team. Play great competition, find out our strengths and weaknesses, and capitalize on them in conference play and hopefully into the post season.

Keep calm and stay the course. We'll be okay.

There are some positives I thought for a first game. The defense was solid...no errors. They didn't walk a lot of guys. Offense was okay.

Negatives they hit too many batters and had 2 wild pitches. Two games today, I hope we get a split than win Sunday. That would give us a plus in our RPI then. Hope our starters give us some nice innings today.

these first few series are obviously strong talented teams. what gets me is how young the bakersfield program is and the success that they are having. they obviously have alot of talent in cali. more than anything i hope these guys take these early season roadtrips and learn valuable lessons and gain experience. still a pretty young team we have.