We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists

While I agree with the points and the spirits of the article, especially being young and narcissistic myself, I think today's youth is also, in general, much more passionate than the generations before. Passion can be bad if it's towards bad things, but there are a lot of great things young people are devoting themselves to as well.

Every generation thinks that.

Do you think the generation that finally fought the Revolutionary war against the British thought they were more passionate than the people before them when they decided to have the Boston Tea Party?

Do you think the generation that finally rose up against each other in the Civil War for what they were passionate than the generations before them?

Do you think the generation that went off to Europe to fight against the Evils of Hitler thought they were more passionate than the ones before them?

Do you think the generations of the 60s who rallied against the Vietnam war and injustices in society thought they were more passionate than the ones before them?

It's part of youth. It is both good and bad. People tend to mellow on these things as they get older and that causes the youth of that era to think they are more passionate than the generations before them.

• Fire 1

lol all media

this.

and old people have been calling the next generation worthless since the beginning of time

And all those old people throughout history agree a firm ass-whoopin' ought to remedy the problem.

And when the government said we couldn't give those "ass-whoopins" anymore or you could go to jail, all hell broke loose and this is where we are today.

Except, all hell hasn't broke loose. The idea that the younger generation is worse than we were is a myth that has been circulating for thousands of years.

The difference is we live in an age where we can get on YouTube and see first-hand how sh**ty and cruel children can be.

I believe that all hell has broken loose with a lot of the youth today. For instance, growing up as a kid in the 60's and 70's, I don't remember ever hearing on tv or the radio, that there was a shooting involving kids. If we fought it was with our hands. I used to drive to high school with my shotgun hanging in my back window of the truck, so after school me and a couple of buddies could go hunting. It was most definitely a safer time.

There is way to much lack of respect for others in youth today.

While I agree with the points and the spirits of the article, especially being young and narcissistic myself, I think today's youth is also, in general, much more passionate than the generations before. Passion can be bad if it's towards bad things, but there are a lot of great things young people are devoting themselves to as well.

Every generation thinks that.

Do you think the generation that finally fought the Revolutionary war against the British thought they were more passionate than the people before them when they decided to have the Boston Tea Party?

Do you think the generation that finally rose up against each other in the Civil War for what they were passionate than the generations before them?

Do you think the generation that went off to Europe to fight against the Evils of Hitler thought they were more passionate than the ones before them?

Do you think the generations of the 60s who rallied against the Vietnam war and injustices in society thought they were more passionate than the ones before them?

It's part of youth. It is both good and bad. People tend to mellow on these things as they get older and that causes the youth of that era to think they are more passionate than the generations before them.

Personally, I think my generation is full of sh#t.

thinking your "special" is not being confident. We teach our kids that everyone is a winner and the result is self deception and entitlement

The really concerning part is what goes through their minds when they enter the real world and life decides to kick 'em in the teeth time and time again. Then how do they respond? I can sit here say with a clear conscious that I will never have to worry that my kids will fail to respond to some adversity. If my kid ever gets a trophy for losing, it will go right in the trash. You lost. Too bad.

Eventually you learn. When I graduated from HS in 94, I thought the world would be handed to me on a silver platter, just put life on auto pilot and by the time I'm 30 life will be easy. I was internally arrogant, I thought I was smarter, better, deeper, better versed in all subjects, and just all around a genius at everything, than those around me, in fact I was an idiot.

As I failed, I blamed others, screamed it wasn't fair, not my fault etc. It wasn't until my early 20's that I stopped blaming others, a few more to start taking blame, and even more to stop being envious of what others had. My journey is far from unique, I think most 18 year old's tend to be optimistic, arrogant, narcissistic, and self absorbed, some learn quickly and adapt, other (like me) need a few blows to the head to start thinking right. This study is probably accurate, but in the end most of these kids will be fine.

For the record, my parents were not to blame for my attitude. They held me responsible for my grades, punished me for acting out in class etc. I was just a stubborn little s%^t.

Good for you. Seriously. But there are some/many that do not learn. They just continue to be a drain and know only how to point fingers but will never point the thumb.

I believe that all hell has broken loose with a lot of the youth today. For instance, growing up as a kid in the 60's and 70's, I don't remember ever hearing on tv or the radio, that there was a shooting involving kids. If we fought it was with our hands. I used to drive to high school with my shotgun hanging in my back window of the truck, so after school me and a couple of buddies could go hunting. It was most definitely a safer time.

There is way to much lack of respect for others in youth today.

March 30, 1960 Alice, Texas Donna Dvorak, 14, brought a .22 target pistol to Dubose Junior High School, and fatally shot Bobby Whitford, 15, in their 9th grade science class. Dvorak believed Whitford posed a threat to one of her girlfriends.

October 17, 1961: Denver, Colorado Tennyson Beard, 14, got into an argument with William Hachmeister, 15, at Morey Junior High School. During the argument Beard pulled out a .38 caliber revolver and shot at Hachmeister, wounding him. A stray bullet also struck Deborah Faith Humphrey, 14, who died from her gunshot wound.

October 5, 1966: Grand Rapids, Minnesota Grand Rapids High School student David Black, 15, killed school administrator Forrest Willey and seriously wounded fellow student Kevin Roth, 14.[32]

January 30, 1968: Miami, Florida 16-year-old Blanche Ward shot and killed fellow student Linda Lipscomb, 16, with a .22-caliber pistol at Miami Jackson High School. According to Ward, she was threatened with a razor by Lipscomb during an argument over a fountain pen, and in the ensuing struggle the gun went off.

May 22, 1968: Miami, Florida Ernest Lee Grissom, a 15-year-old student at Drew Junior High School, shot and seriously wounded a teacher and a 13-year-old student after he had been reprimanded for causing a disturbance.

ect. ect. ect...

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

With a little perspective we see today's youth is really no different than yesterday's youth. I was spanked by my parents, and it didn't prevent me from doing a bunch of things most anyone would consider disrespectful, and at times down right destructive. Things I would never consider doing now.

And a lot of people still spank their children. This idea that people don't do that anymore isn't very realistic. Whenever there's some viral video of some kid being a little bastard the common response is "this is what happens when children aren't spanked!". Well, how do we know that little bastard doesn't get spanked? We don't.

When our children are older, they'll likely talk about how disrespectful children are "these days", just like we do now.

• Fire 1