DE Harrison Phillips [Stanford - Signed LOI]

He made it pretty clear that the Stanford education was a huge factor in the decision. Unless Bo could have made UNL one of the most well respected universities on the planet he probably wasn't going to land Phillips.

I thought he said something about always wanting to be a Husker, but that Nebraska didn't really give him the time of day?

Hmm...I might have imagined that.

This one pissed me off a bit. Between Phillips and Ott, imagine the defensive line this year.

(Not a knock on Gangwish, the man is a beast, he'd be out there regardless)

He made it pretty clear that the Stanford education was a huge factor in the decision. Unless Bo could have made UNL one of the most well respected universities on the planet he probably wasn't going to land Phillips.

I thought he said something about always wanting to be a Husker, but that Nebraska didn't really give him the time of day?

This one pissed me off a bit. Between Phillips and Ott, imagine the defensive line this year.

He said something to the effect of which degree will give him more opportunities when football is over.

Bubak said he had the same dream. Sometimes those dreams die I guess.

And yes, Phillips would have been a great get, always wanted him to be a member of that recruiting class. But he played the education card a bunch one he received that Stanford offer, so who knows how it would've, turned out even if NU had offered earlier

Yeah, I think that's fair (*ahem* <-- not familiar with this player's recruitment at all). I mean, we heard what the Nebraska HS coaches had to say with the incoming staff. Of course that doesn't mean they'll pursue every Nebraska 3-stars or above with everything they've got. They'll have their own evaluations, and they'll still lose some.

Although, I don't know how any football player who gets a Stanford offer could possibly turn it down. I know many do, and that's up to them, really.

Not every recruiting outcome should be a referendum on the coaches, and that cuts both ways. It also doesn't negate discussions about general trends or approaches.