Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend?

Ulty

Why not produce a credit card statement for the 'white roses' he said he purchased for her funeral?

Yeah, while there is a lot to go through, there are certain things that can be easily and objectively tested. Like you said, credit card, either the flowers were ordered, or they weren't. Phone records, either he was talking to someone regularly, or he wasn't. The great thing about this is that he can prove several things without compromising his personal privacy to an extreme level. Like he could release several months of phone records with everything but the date, times, and the last four numbers of "her" phone number redacted. If he were to indeed show that he talked to someone for ~30 hours a month or whatever, that is a huge step toward exonerating him from some of the worst theories.

My guess is that if this is requested of him, he'll term it a ridiculous intrusion on his personal life, and how dare you question my integrity on this etc etc. And no, sorry Domers, this is not a personal issue that the public should respect. He won a slew of awards, huge amounts of publicity and hype, and damn near won the Heisman trophy. Those of us that followed the career of Ndamukong Suh are fully aware of the farce that Te'o's legend was. It is not at all unreasonable to posit that his remarkable fake personal story helped pave the way to him doing way better on the awards podium than any player of his caliber had any right to.

OK, so I have been thoroughly enjoying trolling around on IrishEnvy.com. I highly recommend it.

Supposedly, they think it is some elaborate hoax based on USC fan affiliations.

Tuiasosopo's are a USC family. There is some coincidental tweet by Robert Woods asking Ronaiah "what did you guys do now" and laughing.

It is getting weirder!

http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/17/manti-teo-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-scandal-hoax-notre-dame-photo-girlfriend/?adid=hero1

Some random lady named Jan befriended Lennay, and eventually her sister.

Jan said she wanted to send flowers -- so Lennay's "sister" gave her an address. TMZ has learned the address belongs to a member of the Tuiasosopo family.

Jan also gave us the phone number Lennay's sister would use to contact her -- and we found out the number is registered to a man named Titus Tuiasosopo -- Ronaiah's father.

In the days following the BCS championship game, there was significant internal debate at Notre Dame about when to go public with the revelation that star linebacker Manti Te'o's girlfriend was a hoax, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

Some administrators were pressing for a unilateral public disclosure by the school, while others wanted to let Te'o himself make the stunning news public, the source said. Notre Dame officials were in contact with Te'o's agent, Tom Condon of Creative Artists Agency, and were told the Heisman Trophy runner-up planned to release his version of events Monday. The decision was made to wait and let Te'o and CAA control the message.

Link

this gay theory does not garner my sympathies. yes, it is sad that people have to hide their homosexuality for fear of rejection or persecution. but if the purpose of a fake online relationship is to hide your homosexuality, you do not make the fake relationship your season long inspiration and include car accidents, cancer, and death on the same god damn day as your g-ma. it does not make sense, but even if it is true, i will not feel bad about mocking manti te'o.

It is looking less and less likely to be the case, but I have to disagree with the sympathy bit. Yes, obviously elaborate lies and stuff are bad and if he did do all this stuff to keep his cover, there's no condoning that, and those actions in and of themselves do not lend themselves to sympathy. Where it becomes sad is thinking about the personal demons that a person must be dealing with to do something so irrational when their future was so bright. That's sad, and neither the vileness of the action nor the sadness of the motive cancel each other out. They would have existed as two independent morally conflicting realities. Much like no person is purely good or purely bad.

Yeah, I'd say that's a conclusion erroneously jumped to at this point. Odd thing is, I jumped to that conclusion, and tons of other people all over the country did as well.

Perhaps I'm alone on this (no pun intended) but I was actually starting to lean more toward those two being "together". The main reason for this is that I think most are of the opinion that Te'o is in on the deal. And now I see that the other guy seemed to be telling others on his end that he was communicating with Te'o, even though it was through a fake identity. So why would the other guy be "bragging" about running a catfish on Te'o if Te'o was in on it?

I guess to start Te'o could have just been in on the joke to let the other guy have a good story to tell. But there's no way he would have let that get as deep as it did - there wouldn't be anything for Te'o to gain from it. So Te'o was in on it but lying about it and the other guy was in on it but was lying about it. I can't figure out why they would both be lying about what was really going on other than to cover up something bigger.

Maybe someone can fill me in on something I'm missing but I can't really come up with much else. I guess the publicity angle would still be a possibility but I just don't believe that for a second.