Greatest NU Offensive Lineman

TGHusker

The O linemen that are referred to as the pipeline, was due in part to practice, whatever the 1's were practicing, the 2's and 3's were practicing the same exact play. Repetition of the same plays by the top three units every day. Osborne's playbook didn't have that many formations, just several variations off each formation. The O linemen as described above, were ready by their junior yr, unless they were a real talent. As far as recruiting, Dr Tom didn't recruit 5 star o linemen, his regimen in practice would prepare the linemen to step in when their time came, and they would be like machines, no errors, they knew their jobs, and the performed them without thought.

Imagine the top three units all practicing the same plays at the same time every day. I believe this more than anything else is why the Huskers always had a great o line. GBR

• 9 months later...

You covered most of the ones i could think of. hmm

One of my favorites was Richie Incognito.

Matt Slausen,and Russ Hochstein.were pretty good too.

Incognito (best name ever by the way) was a beast. Friend of mine encountered him at a part as a freshman and provided a detailed description of what Richie did to some kid who pushed his buttons. Dude was mean. Could you imagine what he wouldve done to Borland of Wisconsin at the CCG when he tried to bodyslam Taylor. Richie was always gettin PF penalties.

Incognito is in the news regarding the Jonathan Martin situation for Miami Dolphins.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9913324/sources-nflpa-eyes-miami-dolphins-richie-incognito-jonathan-martin-case

Chris Dishman. He was listed as a preseason All-American before he even started his first game as a Husker. The haus played tackle for Nebraska in the mid '90s. I liked him. He helped the 1995 offensive line which had graduated everybody except starter Aaron Graham. Dishman's 1995 O-line was supposed to be a weakness going into the season, but it turned into a strength as he got help from Aaron Taylor (not Notre Dame's Taylor you see on ABC), Eric Anderson, Steve Ott, Graham (of course), and Matt Vrzal. That was a great offensive line. I purchased the 1995 VHS of the Washington State game, and Nebraska pounded the Pac-10 school, 35-21.

I hope some of the older, more seasoned posters could help me out here because I'm clueless on this one. I understand the '90's run will never happen again, it was the perfect alignment of the stars, with partial qualifiers, no CCG's, no BCS, switch from 5-2 to 4-3 defense and coming up big on several recruits. However, one factor of that run is one that I scratch my head as to why it still can't happen today. We use to corner the market on the some of the best linemen in the country, home-grown right in the great state of Nebraska. Anyone know what the reason is as to why we can't keep churning out these corn-fed, steak-n-tater eating big boys from the plains and consistently have All-American Offensive Lines? We still have farms there in Nebraska that these kids can get "country strong" on and develop the work ethic and strength that will help them succeed on the football field.

Good question....I got nothing.

I've got to go with Wiegert on this one. I just have replays in my head of that guy being the first guy down the field lead blocking out front. He was big, physical, yet so damn athletic it was impressive. He also always seemed to key on the right guy when he was out there paving the way for the man with the ball. I'm sure some of the older guys would probably be higher on my list of all time favorites if I had seen them play more.

I too am a huge fan of Incognito. We need a badass or two on this team like Richie.

Yeah, I'd go with Wiegert too. And Incognito. Not sure if anyone has mentioned Carl Nicks. Maybe not the best we've ever had, but he was real good. Probably better than he got credit for because he played during a tough time in Husker history.

Chris Dishman. He was listed as a preseason All-American before he even started his first game as a Husker. The haus played tackle for Nebraska in the mid '90s. I liked him. He helped the 1995 offensive line which had graduated everybody except starter Aaron Graham. Dishman's 1995 O-line was supposed to be a weakness going into the season, but it turned into a strength as he got help from Aaron Taylor (not Notre Dame's Taylor you see on ABC), Eric Anderson, Steve Ott, Graham (of course), and Matt Vrzal. That was a great offensive line. I purchased the 1995 VHS of the Washington State game, and Nebraska pounded the Pac-10 school, 35-21.

Ha. Nice.

In 1991, Cozad came to town to play my high school for the state semifinal game in class B. One of our best teams ever. We never had a chance. The bellcows for Cozad? Chris Dishman and Brenden Holbein.

Incognito (best name ever by the way) was a beast. Friend of mine encountered him at a part as a freshman and provided a detailed description of what Richie did to some kid who pushed his buttons. Dude was mean. Could you imagine what he wouldve done to Borland of Wisconsin at the CCG when he tried to bodyslam Taylor. Richie was always gettin PF penalties.

Incognito is in the news regarding the Jonathan Martin situation for Miami Dolphins.

http://espn.go.com/n...han-martin-case

Initial reports identified Incognito as the instigator in the Jonathan Martin situation where Martin left the team due to harassment. But according to this follow-up report, Incognito and Martin exchanged a number of texts and Martin didn't blame Incognito for leaving the team.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/fl-dolphins-jonathan-martin-1103-20131102,0,1156501.story

http://espn.go.com/n...han-martin-case

Initial reports identified Incognito as the instigator in the Jonathan Martin situation where Martin left the team due to harassment. But according to this follow-up report, Incognito and Martin exchanged a number of texts and Martin didn't blame Incognito for leaving the team.

http://www.chicagotr...0,1156501.story

Now the Dolphins have suspended Incognito indefinitely: (Quote from below "ESPN.com reported Martin contributed $15,000 toward a trip taken by a group of Dolphins players to Las Vegas even though he didn't go. The report said Martin gave the money to Incognito because he feared repercussions if he didn't contribute.")

http://articles.sun-...-miami-dolphins

ESPN also reported that "Incognito also was suspended for the 2004 season in college at Nebraska due to off-field incidents." Incognito has also tweeted responses:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9924206/miami-dolphins-suspend-richie-incognito-indefinitely-connection-jonathan-martin-incident

Wiegert was so friggin good...but so was that whole unit. What I remember about those guys is that Zatacha (sic) and all those other guys were rocking 4.0s in like biochemistry...and Zach had a 2.8 in something like Continuing Studies on Jim Morrison's Drunkest Moments :lol:

Man...we had like 9 of the top 20 linemen in the nation on that team. I'll never forget...like clockwork, about 5 mins into the 3rd quarter they'd stop the game every three plays to help a defender off the field. So many players straight up quit against those guys. They'd just had enough...and really, who could blame them?