2013 PGA Tour Discussion Thread

tschu

Hello, fellow golf fans.

Football season is just about wrapped up, and it's time to start getting obsessed with professional golf again. Thought I'd make a catch-all thread for PGA (and European) Tour discussion on a week-to-week basis.

tiger3_zps0ddbb22b.jpg

rory1_zpsbac1d23a.jpg

GO!

You gotta like what we're seeing from Tiger Woods right now. Currently a 6-shot lead with 4 holes left in the 3rd round. He's driving the ball well still (for all his woes, he was actually 6th in total driving last year on tour) but the two most important things we're seeing are:

1. Short game. He's got the flat stick rolling and has chipped well all week.

2. Utter destruction of the Par 5s. He used to crush these every week, but in the last 3 years he has struggled mightily on them. Literally a night-and-day difference. Well he's 14-under on the par-5s this week. If he keeps that up, the PGA Tour better look out.

One thing to add: This is all happening at Torrey Pines, a course that he grew up playing and absolutely loves. He's got 7 pro wins there. Let's not say Tiger is back to his old dominant ways until he starts doing this consistently at other courses and/or wins a major. That monkey is still on his back.

I think this is the year where Tiger comes roaring back. He played quite a bit of good golf last year but couldn't string four rounds together very often. He would be right in the tick of it through 40-50 holes before fading. I think he gets it put together this year and posts a few wins, including a major or two. Not like the Tiger of old but the best player out there.

Driver Twirl.

*chills down spine*

If Tiger has the Driver working, there's not much hope for the field.

Definitely. I'll add wedge play to that; last year he was 75th on tour on approaches between 100 and 125 yards. That's a huge liability.

It looks like he's already in shutdown mode; aiming for the middle of the green, two-putt for par, move on. Classic, boring old Tiger.

You gotta like what we're seeing from Tiger Woods right now. Currently a 6-shot lead with 4 holes left in the 3rd round. He's driving the ball well still (for all his woes, he was actually 6th in total driving last year on tour) but the two most important things we're seeing are:

1. Short game. He's got the flat stick rolling and has chipped well all week.

2. Utter destruction of the Par 5s. He used to crush these every week, but in the last 3 years he has struggled mightily on them. Literally a night-and-day difference. Well he's 14-under on the par-5s this week. If he keeps that up, the PGA Tour better look out.

One thing to add: This is all happening at Torrey Pines, a course that he grew up playing and absolutely loves. He's got 7 pro wins there. Let's not say Tiger is back to his old dominant ways until he starts doing this consistently at other courses and/or wins a major. That monkey is still on his back.

In past seasons I think a big reason why Tiger played so well is because he got off to a good start at Torrey Pines. Him playing well and winning there seems to give him a nice confidence boost for the rest of the year.

Just seems more confident and more in control of his swing and overall game this year than in years past.

Definitely. I'll add wedge play to that; last year he was 75th on tour on approaches between 100 and 125 yards. That's a huge liability.

This is what I was going to add. His distance control with wedges has been superb. He is ALL OVER the stick.

I had told my friends his swing changes was a simple progression. He was spending ALL of his time on the full swing mechanics, pretty much abandoning short game and putting. Now the swing changes are sticking and becoming second nature. He is able to work on getting his touch back with the wedges and flatstick. WATCH OUT.