OT Brian Wallace [Arkansas - Signed LOI]

Nexus

From today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette:

Wallace has narrowed his list of more than 20 scholarship offers to Arkansas, Iowa, Alabama, Nebraska and Ohio State. Hentges, who recorded a sack against Wallace, is the top junior prospect in Missouri, according to CBS Sports Network national recruiting analyst Tom Lemming.

Wallace visited the Hogs in August and plans to return for an official visit.

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

@HeyBakerMark

This is a dude that has no reason to prefer Nebraska over any other school (he's from St. Louis) and that secured an offer from Bama and his home state school. Bama just put up a dominant streak that few other schools has ever matched, and they're still hot. This isn't proof of anything other than the kid is a good player. We're not going to win every recruiting battle. It's also worth noting that St. Louis is within the 500 mile radius of Bama.

Good stuff Huskerzoo ... for me ... I still stand by the statement. We are no longer considered a school for OL ... wherever we lost that ... it has happened. Places like Wisconsin produce a good product out of even far less "stars". I will use this as an example ... what you said is true ... yet, we really didn't get much of a sniff (potential visit ... I don't think that ever even happened?) out of this recruit. I still think we need to "own the 500 mile radius ... even against Bama!

On a side note, Mizzou having a strong year is proof of how important performance is as well for a school with not that high of an image as Bama. We seem to lose the big game which hurts in various recruits as our image is reduced and we miss out on some better talent. Even you stated, "This is a dude that has no reason to prefer Nebraska over any other school." It is crazy to me to think that any recruit would not consider the Huskers ... but that is how much ground we have given up in our OL recruiting.

Good stuff from you. Thanks for chiming in and balancing my view.

Missing on guys like this in our radius is proof to me that we need better OL recruiting and coaching in this area.

Our OL recruiting is fine and I don't know how you can complain about the coaching when they put a pretty good line out there this year despite losing our best lineman and having a slew of injuries to so many others. I'm pretty impressed with where the line is overall. We do need to get another in this class, but I think we've recruited quite well there lately. Sucks to not get this kid, but it's not like he's from our back yard.

Missing on guys like this in our radius is proof to me that we need better OL recruiting and coaching in this area.

Our OL recruiting is fine and I don't know how you can complain about the coaching when they put a pretty good line out there this year despite losing our best lineman and having a slew of injuries to so many others. I'm pretty impressed with where the line is overall. We do need to get another in this class, but I think we've recruited quite well there lately. Sucks to not get this kid, but it's not like he's from our back yard.

I think HeyBakerMark's point was that traditionally Nebraska was one of the top school that offensive linemen thought about and we are no longer one of those schools. I personally think that although we should take another OT this year, Bo and company have done a good job finding talent at O-line. After last years O-line haul we can stand to have a lighter year in that area this year. Also DJ Foster and Tanner Farmer are pretty exciting prospects so it isn't like we are taking the scraps left over. But I would agree that we are no longer considered one of the top schools for O-linemen. That being said, had our line stayed healthy this year I think we would realize just how well our coaches have done teaching.