Braylon Heard Transferring...

I haven't read through this thread but i have to say this is very disappointing. My one issue with this staff is roster management. They don't seem to a great job with it when they get log jammed at a spot. I also think its odd that the two places we seem to lose the most people are the two coaches that were cut from the "old" cloth of the Nebraska way. I don't know if its just a qwinky dink or if something is there that needs addressed. I also know things like this happen everywhere. It just sucks when its your team.

I hope Bo and Heard can get things hashed out. I know they wanted to use him like Johnny Rodgers this year playing a wing back, slot kind of receiver/I-back. I know its tough feeling like you're giving everything to the team and feel like your feet keep spinning because you can't get roots at one position too.

By multiple, I meant that Beck has a very, very unique offensive system, where he has incorporated a number of different styles of football (power, spread, etc.) into one single system. You are allowed, maybe too your surprise, too be multiple within one brand/style of football (again----power, spread, etc.).... Now, would Cross work in the spread? Well, it wouldn't be ideal. However, he would be able too be used in a number of ways out of our power sets (See: Leveon Bell)....

I wasn't aware (by your logic) that being a running back that is tailor-made too a certain style of football means that you can't be an every down back... ------Defying your logic----------> Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore, Lacey(Bama kid), Bell, Ron Dayne, the list could literally go on, and on....

Doesn't your first paragraph contradict your second? You're saying Cross isn't ideal or an every down back for our offense because he's a power back - which also conflicts with another post right before that where you said he was an every down back, then go on to say that RBs made for a certain style of football can be every down backs (maybe because they didn't play in multiple offenses?). Ah hell, i'm confused.

Well, this is frustrating if true. I say "if true" because supposedly the coaches don't know anything about it and it came from a news paper back in Youngstown.

This just seems like the dumbest thing in the world for this kid. He worked very hard to get here. He is on the cusp of the first spring that he actually has the chance to compete for the starting job and he all of a sudden decides he wants to transfer???? That is just stupidity if true.

In the long run, Nebraska will be fine. One of the true freshmen will need to step up and I think they have the ability to do that. What is going to be extremely frustrating is if AA gets hurt early in the season and then all we have is Cross (who I like but he isn't a speedster) and two true freshmen who aren't going to know the entire play book.

PS...all that said, King Frazier all of a sudden became more important to the program.

Cross is a beast, but he's not an every-down back. If Ameer goes down, we're in serious depth trouble and will be depending on a couple of freshmen to step up. That's scary. Also scary is the huge workload that we're going to dump on Ameer now. Those 80,90,100 carries that Braylon figured to get next year would make a huge difference in keeping Ameer fresh.

We differ there, I see him as an every down back. He wouldn't be productive in our spread formations, but Beck has a very multiple offense, and I could see Cross becoming the every-down back if he was needed....

So he would hamper our ability to be multiple? Not an every down back it would appear

Logic always manages too escape you doesn't it.....

By multiple, I meant that Beck has a very, very unique offensive system, where he has incorporated a number of different styles of football (power, spread, etc.) into one single system. You are allowed, maybe too your surprise, too be multiple within one brand/style of football (again----power, spread, etc.).... Now, would Cross work in the spread? Well, it wouldn't be ideal. However, he would be able too be used in a number of ways out of our power sets (See: Leveon Bell)....

I wasn't aware (by your logic) that being a running back that is tailor-made too a certain style of football means that you can't be an every down back... ------Defying your logic----------> Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore, Lacey(Bama kid), Bell, Ron Dayne, the list could literally go on, and on....

Becks offense is multiple. However a power back limits our options as it pertains to formations. How many of the guys you mentioned have Imani's skill set? The closest being Bell IMHO. Maybe a little bit of Dayne. Crazy how they were not in multiple offenses like ours. The others you mentioned are every down backs because that is what they are. Peterson and Gore are stellar RB that could easily play in a multiple offense like ours.

I am saying he is not an every down back in OUR offense. Which you agreed with by saying he isn't suited for our spread formations! But please continue with personal attacks instead of what is in this thread.

• Fire 1

What this looks like to me is the first year in the B1G. Rex was a Jr like Ameer will be. Rex had 3 true freshmen as backups and we saw them all on the field. Ameer will have a So and 2 true Fr as backups. As much as I liked Heards speed and team play, I can't bring myself to believe that we will miss a step.

Ameer carried the vast majority of the load last year and Cross was the main backup. Heard was hampered by injury or whatever so he was not a MAJOR contributor.

Cross is a beast, but he's not an every-down back. If Ameer goes down, we're in serious depth trouble and will be depending on a couple of freshmen to step up. That's scary. Also scary is the huge workload that we're going to dump on Ameer now. Those 80,90,100 carries that Braylon figured to get next year would make a huge difference in keeping Ameer fresh.

We differ there, I see him as an every down back. He wouldn't be productive in our spread formations, but Beck has a very multiple offense, and I could see Cross becoming the every-down back if he was needed....

So he would hamper our ability to be multiple? Not an every down back it would appear

Logic always manages too escape you doesn't it.....

Becks offense is multiple. However a power back limits our options as it pertains to formations. How many of the guys you mentioned have Imani's skill set? The closest being Bell IMHO. Maybe a little bit of Dayne. Crazy how they were not in multiple offenses like ours. The others you mentioned are every down backs because that is what they are. Peterson and Gore are stellar RB that could easily play in a multiple offense like ours.

I am saying he is not an every down back in OUR offense. Which you agreed with by saying he isn't suited for our spread formations! But please continue with personal attacks instead of what is in this thread.

You suggested that a back that isn't "multiple" couldn't be a every-down back.... And you're wrong....again....

I should point out, that I wasn't suggesting Cross too be our best option, but if need be, I think he could be our every-down back while doing it in a productive manner....

Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip

Talked to Bo Pelini about report out of Ohio that Heard is transferring. Bo said he couldn't comment. I got impression story isn't over.

That was from last night at the same time as the other Sipple tweet about them being caught off guard.

Wonder what the situation is?

He is going to be getting 90-110 carries, I'd guess. He wants 200 carries at another school after sitting out a year? Doesn't seem logical. Then again, McWilson chose UK over us, so logic is out the window this week.

I haven't read through this thread but i have to say this is very disappointing. My one issue with this staff is roster management. They don't seem to a great job with it when they get log jammed at a spot. I also think its odd that the two places we seem to lose the most people are the two coaches that were cut from the "old" cloth of the Nebraska way. I don't know if its just a qwinky dink or if something is there that needs addressed. I also know things like this happen everywhere. It just sucks when its your team.

I hope Bo and Heard can get things hashed out. I know they wanted to use him like Johnny Rodgers this year playing a wing back, slot kind of receiver/I-back. I know its tough feeling like you're giving everything to the team and feel like your feet keep spinning because you can't get roots at one position too.

Maybe he thinks it over and comes back!? Or is it a confirmed done deal and he won't be in Lincoln? Hmmm....

Talked to Bo Pelini about report out of Ohio that Heard is transferring. Bo said he couldn't comment. I got impression story isn't over.

I have that feeling as well. I started to ponder that last night....it is evident that Heard is NEEDED at the RB position. I don't care if they move him a bit to the slot position, but let the young man focus more on the RB role and sprinkle in some special packages from time to time where he is a receiver. I would be fine with that. Bo needs to keep him here at NEB.

I have that feeling as well. I started to ponder that last night....it is evident that Heard is NEEDED at the RB position. I don't care if they move him a bit to the slot position, but let the young man focus more on the RB role and sprinkle in some special packages from time to time where he is a receiver. I would be fine with that. Bo needs to keep him here at NEB.

If it isn't true, you wonder how these stories get out.... Coming into his junior year at Nebraska, I think he is in a good situation....

I hope the coaches can change his mind. I was waiting for this year, to see him get more touches. He is our best break away runner. He was just a block away a few times last year, from taking it to the house. This is a big loss, if he leaves. Those freshmen don't have the experience, or the offense down, to be able to bring to the table what Heard had. He will be a big time player where ever he lands.

Good luck to you young man, you will be missed.

GBR!!! :steam