The last Husker to score in the Super Bowl

huKSer

That was a very smart play by Koch, by the way. I actually thought he should have waited a few seconds and then chucked it as far as he could out of bounds. Has to be frustrating for the other team though.

That early TO San Fran took....

He stayed in bounds just about as long as he could. Plus, if he had decided to chuck it deep out of bounds, he would have run the risk of the ball hitting the ground before the clock ran out and then giving the 49ers a chance to win the game from the Raven's three yard line. It could have been eerily similar to the 2009 Big 12 Championship game.

San Francisco should have called a timeout before their fourth down play that gave Baltimore the ball back. That was really the killer, imho. They had two (or, at the very least, one) timeout at that point in the game. Why not burn it? It's the most important play for the rest of the game because if you score, you've basically won. If you don't, they've basically won.

Let's not forget the Koch's tremendous punt on the free kick following. There is a free kick/field goal rule that would allow the 49ers to make a fair catch and then have an unrushed attempt at a game tying field goal from that spot. So, had Koch shanked that punt or not get the distance, it really couldve bit them in the ass, but in typical Husker fashion, he goes and booms the thing from 20 to 20, forcing the 49ers to have to come up with a near impossible return.

Let's not forget the Koch's tremendous punt on the free kick following. There is a free kick/field goal rule that would allow the 49ers to make a fair catch and then have an unrushed attempt at a game tying field goal from that spot. So, had Koch shanked that punt or not get the distance, it really couldve bit them in the ass, but in typical Husker fashion, he goes and booms the thing from 20 to 20, forcing the 49ers to have to come up with a near impossible return.

When I heard the announcers mention this I had no idea it was a rule. I don't really get the point of it. Guess you learn something new everyday.

When I heard the announcers mention this I had no idea it was a rule. I don't really get the point of it. Guess you learn something new everyday.

It was actually attempted by someone a few years back. Was missed. cant remember who or when for sure.

It was actually attempted by someone a few years back. Was missed. cant remember who or when for sure.

Janokowski for the Raiders

That was a very smart play by Koch, by the way. I actually thought he should have waited a few seconds and then chucked it as far as he could out of bounds. Has to be frustrating for the other team though.

That early TO San Fran took....

He stayed in bounds just about as long as he could. Plus, if he had decided to chuck it deep out of bounds, he would have run the risk of the ball hitting the ground before the clock ran out and then giving the 49ers a chance to win the game from the Raven's three yard line. It could have been eerily similar to the 2009 Big 12 Championship game.

San Francisco should have called a timeout before their fourth down play that gave Baltimore the ball back. That was really the killer, imho. They had two (or, at the very least, one) timeout at that point in the game. Why not burn it? It's the most important play for the rest of the game because if you score, you've basically won. If you don't, they've basically won.

Wasn't the third down play an incomplete pass?

nm, think you were speaking of the alignment issues with protection against max pressure. Sorry.

San Fran only had 1 timeout at the 4th down play. They had to burn one down there on 1st or 2nd down already when the play clock was approaching zero. They also "wasted" one for the same situation in the 3rd quarter. I guess I agree with you that they might as well have used the last one there with the blitz showin, but if it was me, I wouldve let the play clock expire on the play or two prior and just taken the 5 yards and give my receivers a little more room to operate, especially with Kaepernick's running ability.

It was a smart play, because you can basically tackle the opposing defense and you come out on top. What's ridiculous was that there wasn't even a holding flag thrown...

Not really rediculous at all as it wouldn't change a thing to throw a flag other than to add unnessesary procedure after the play. Holding isn't a penalty that stops play so they play still would have unfolded as it did.

There are only two options that San Francisco would have if the referees throw the flag for holding in that situation 1. decline the holding penalty or 2. accept the holding penalty which results in a safety with the exact clock and circumstances as existed anyways.

There still would have been 4 seconds left, the score would have still been the same and the Ravens still would have been doing the free kick.

So what would have been the point?

No, it's very ridiculous. They are there to call the game how it is played, not make their own deductions on if a penalty is going to matter or not. Obviously a flag won't mean anything, it's the principle of the matter.

Janokowski for the Raiders

Janokowski attempted a 76 yard field goal but it wasn't a free kick, Neil Rackers had a true free kick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCBBUMnRqbo

San Fran only had 1 timeout at the 4th down play. They had to burn one down there on 1st or 2nd down already when the play clock was approaching zero. They also "wasted" one for the same situation in the 3rd quarter. I guess I agree with you that they might as well have used the last one there with the blitz showin, but if it was me, I wouldve let the play clock expire on the play or two prior and just taken the 5 yards and give my receivers a little more room to operate, especially with Kaepernick's running ability.

I would've just called the timeout. At least we can both agree that they made the wrong decision. When it's fourth down, you have one play to either win it or lose it, and the play clock dwindles close to zero and your team is barely getting lined up, I don't know why you rush the snap.

I don't remember the exact details of his kick, but if it really landed at the SF 20 that's equivalent to about a 46 yard punt in a normal scenario. It's good, but I wouldn't call it tremendous.

I don't remember the exact details of his kick, but if it really landed at the SF 20 that's equivalent to about a 46 yard punt in a normal scenario. It's good, but I wouldn't call it tremendous.

Erm? From the 20 to mid field is 30 yards and the same from mid field to their 20. So that's a 60 yard punt...

Erm? From the 20 to mid field is 30 yards and the same from mid field to their 20. So that's a 60 yard punt...

True, but in a real punt situation, the punter stands 13-15 yards behind the line of scrimmage, which in this instance would equate to a 46 yard punt. I was just pointing out that he coulda shanked it for 20 yards or hit it wrong out of bounds after10 yards giving them a shot. He just did his job giving SF no chance whatsoever.