Ole' Miss is Dirty AF

• 1 month later...

I don’t know who among Ole Miss representatives thought it would be wise to lie to multiple members of the national media about an NCAA investigation, the details of which would eventually become public. But I know why they did.

When the NOA was received, 2016 National Signing Day, the day when college football recruits announce what school they will be attending, was two weeks away. It seems likely that Ole Miss sources lied because the program was trying to hold onto its recruiting class.

It doesn’t matter who authored this strategy inside Ole Miss — the athletic department, the coaching staff or some mix thereof. It would end up being a massive gaffe for everyone at the university. Not only did it hurt the program’s credibility among the media when they’d later make valid claims against the NCAA, Mississippi State and other parties, but it created a new enemy in Houston Nutt.

Making an enemy of Houston Nutt would end up costing Hugh Freeze his job in the most embarrassing way possible.

Since his 2011 firing, Nutt had failed to secure another head coaching job despite multiple attempts. His coaching career was, for all intents and purposes, over. But Ole Miss’ sourced claims in media reports, including SB Nation, gave Nutt new life to assert his career ended not because his own lack of success on the field but a conspiracy against his good name.

Making an enemy of Nutt would end up costing Hugh Freeze his job in the most embarrassing way possible. We’ll get there. Hang on.

SB Nation - long read ..... and a few NSFW words

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, 4skers89 said:

Lewis going to Miss. State after receiving $10K from Ole Miss. sounds odd. 

Read the article and Lewis eventually tells the COI how much he received from Miss St.

Then, the big one: According to sources in the room, Lewis told the Committee on Infractions he received a cash payment of $10,000 “from Mississippi State” on the eve of National Signing Day 2015 to sign with the Bulldogs.

• Plus1 1
On 5/30/2018 at 7:51 PM, Mavric said:

SB Nation - long read ..... and a few NSFW words

Was a very interesting chain of events... Freeze was a dips*t for using the university's phone for his personal escapades.   Kind of reminds me of how all the mobsters could get away with literally murder, and the dumbest thing like not paying taxes is what brings them down.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

The guy that wrote it is an Ole Miss grad....

I MEANT THAT IT'S SAD FROM THE ATHLETES' PERSPECTIVES BECAUSE THEY SEEM TO END UP GETTING THE WORST OF IT WHEN IT COMES TO PUNISHMENTS. I KNOW THEY KNOW THEY SHOULDN'T BE TAKING MONEY, BUT IT'S PROBABLY PRETTY HARD FOR SOME OF THEM TO PASS UP WHEN THEY COME FROM HOMES WHERE THEY'VE NEVER HAD ANYTHING AND A SOME EXTRA CASH COULD REALLY HELP THEM OUT

• Plus1 1

21 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Read the article and Lewis eventually tells the COI how much he received from Miss St.

That’s what I meant about being odd. If Ole Miss gave $10K I would think Miss St would need to up the ante rather then match it. Makes me think Mullen or somebody at Miss St instructed Lewis to say that the money came from Ole Miss instead of Miss St. Just speculating. I feel for Lewis but he was doing something against the rules. Unfortunately I think the lesson that will be learned from this will not be to don’t accept money; the lesson will be don’t tell anyone that you accepted money. This will make it more difficult to catch this in the future. The other lesson is don’t pay the athlete directly since funneling it through friends is OK by the NCAA. Cheaters gonna cheat and the NCAA seems incapable of stopping it. 

28 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

That’s what I meant about being odd. If Ole Miss gave $10K I would think Miss St would need to up the ante rather then match it. Makes me think Mullen or somebody at Miss St instructed Lewis to say that the money came from Ole Miss instead of Miss St. Just speculating. I feel for Lewis but he was doing something against the rules. Unfortunately I think the lesson that will be learned from this will not be to don’t accept money; the lesson will be don’t tell anyone that you accepted money. This will make it more difficult to catch this in the future. The other lesson is don’t pay the athlete directly since funneling it through friends is OK by the NCAA. Cheaters gonna cheat and the NCAA seems incapable of stopping it. 

If you've already got $10k in hand from Ole Miss and you can get another $10k from MSU, and you know they can't report you to anyone, then it makes sense to take both (or more from other schools) and just go wherever you want.

• 4 months later...