UNL College of Business

I'm a senior and never in my life have I even came close to having a class involve something like that. I think it is hilarious that a capstone professor would conduct a review. I didn't get stuff like that when I was a sophmore. It has to be isolated.

I'm actually thinking about prolonging my education and switching to the supply chain mngt major that was recently launched. I've been hearing good things about it.

That might not be a bad one, when I was looking for jobs a year or so ago there were a lot of those type out there. I took a class as a management elective for my major in supply chain management and it was way too easy so I didn't really pay attention. Now I wish I had because I'm sure I could have found a job a lot quicker if I could have regurgitated what I was supposed to learn.

For the most part unless you have an absolutely crappy professor and text to work from you basically get out of college what you put into it. I found that out the hard way.

I've heard that different companies throughout the midwest pushed UNL to start the new major. I guess Union Pacific and several other companies are really wanting midwest kids in the field. The starting salary isn't half bad for most of them either.

Entry level supply chain (ERP) jobs are difficult to fill. It is an entry level job for all different types of professionals and many find out it is not what they are looking for. There is also a lot of turnover. There is definitely money involved, but it will take you a little while to get there. I guarantee you it would be more to your benefit to learn SAP or AS400(going away) then spend another year in college. Union Pacific doesn't pay jack for people with no experience.

edit....I was talking to 'head hunter' a few months ago and there is lack of qualified Supply Chain Managers in the Nebraska area. He actually said a lot of the country. I have worked in manufacturing my entire career and it wasn't something that interested me.

At least he's smart enough to realize his education is terrible

Also...this quote struck me.

It made me remember back to people I went to school with. Various people could be taking the exact same courses in the exact same major. One group would have the attitude..."This is stupid"..."This is a horrible education"....."Why the hell are we doing this"... bla bla bla....

This group typically didn't get squat out of college.

The other group learned it, took it serious, got involved in their majors...etc. These typically are the ones that excelled in college and in their jobs after college.

I know this is an over generalization. But, it held pretty true with the people I saw in college and know them now.

Buster,

You nailed it again my friend.

I haven't used my major since day one and I do fine. So many people think a degree = $'s. I laugh at all the people getting MBA's right now. They have no plan.

MBA is a good plan if you know what you are getting it for. I hear so many colleagues say that want more money or they want to expand their opportunities so they are getting a MBA. They are wasting their time. MBA's only = $'s if you go to Duke, Standford, Emory, Harvard..(there's a few more).

Your degree is what you make of it. If you want to complain about 'bingo' and then use that as a limiting factor in your future, you won't be successful.

Few questions for you:

1. How is complaining about the lack of good education mean you won't be successful? If it was me, I'd be pretty peeved about paying $700 for a required class only to be playing Bingo. I'd expect to actually be learning something, and being upset that you're being jipped doesn't mean you'll be unsuccessful. If anything, it probably shows you care.

2. What do you think is the point of getting a degree? You mentioned you never use the knowledge that came from yours. Are you fine with that? Was there any value to your degree outside of the ability to put it on your resume? If not, why should it be that way? Why should school be nothing but a bunch of fluff that won't actually prepare you for the real world?

With that 2nd point, I'm not saying you should choose a career based on how relevant the education is or anything like that. But you should want the "KJ%" (the percentage of school stuff you'll actually use on job...patent pending on this formula) to be as high as possible. 100% is practically impossible, but 0% should never happen.

And for the record Im a Junior here at UNL right now majoring in Agribusiness through CBA

I'm also a junior in CBA. So far I've actually leaned quite a bit, however it seems like some of the classes are almost identical. The books have the same terms and functions, but just tweaked a little for a specific area. As far as the bingo I've never done that, but in probably 25% of the classes I've taken, we play jeopardy as review for tests.

Few questions for you:

1. How is complaining about the lack of good education mean you won't be successful? If it was me, I'd be pretty peeved about paying $700 for a required class only to be playing Bingo. I'd expect to actually be learning something, and being upset that you're being jipped doesn't mean you'll be unsuccessful. If anything, it probably shows you care.

2. What do you think is the point of getting a degree? You mentioned you never use the knowledge that came from yours. Are you fine with that? Was there any value to your degree outside of the ability to put it on your resume? If not, why should it be that way? Why should school be nothing but a bunch of fluff that won't actually prepare you for the real world?

With that 2nd point, I'm not saying you should choose a career based on how relevant the education is or anything like that. But you should want the "KJ%" (the percentage of school stuff you'll actually use on job...patent pending on this formula) to be as high as possible. 100% is practically impossible, but 0% should never happen.

You are equating a bingo game with a bad education/getting jipped. There is no substitute for experience. You will use very little of your education. It's not your fault..you don't know what you don't know. Enjoy your time in Lincoln and move on. You'll be surprised when you get into 'business' and you find out you are working with a History major from Hastings college or a Secondary Ed major from Peru. Your boss will have a mechanical engineering degree from UNL.

Few questions for you:

You are equating a bingo game with a bad education/getting jipped. There is no substitute for experience. You will use very little of your education. It's not your fault..you don't know what you don't know. Enjoy your time in Lincoln and move on. You'll be surprised when you get into 'business' and you find out you are working with a History major from Hastings college or a Secondary Ed major from Peru. Your boss will have a mechanical engineering degree from UNL.

While that never answers my question, it still isn't necessarily true. I've had internships where I would have to bring my textbooks to work and read before I could do any work. Of course that speaks more for entry-level positions, and doesn't happen as much for people higher in the food chain.

But as I said, how the world is isn't my point. Why should it be that? Why are you fine with wasting 4 years of your life on an education that won't prepare you one bit for what you're going to do?

Few questions for you:

While that never answers my question, it still isn't necessarily true. I've had internships where I would have to bring my textbooks to work and read before I could do any work. Of course that speaks more for entry-level positions, and doesn't happen as much for people higher in the food chain.

But as I said, how the world is isn't my point. Why should it be that? Why are you fine with wasting 4 years of your life on an education that won't prepare you one bit for what you're going to do?

That is largely dependent on what you choose to do. A college education can do many things for you depending on what you choose to do. For instance, if you want a job in accounting, you flat out aren't going to get into that without an accounting degree. Now, you might get to be like a pay roll clerk or something. But, if you want a career type job and move up in accounting, you need an accounting degree of some kind.

Now, when you get into mid level and upper level management, you are going to find many people with many different types of back grounds. You might find that guy with the engineering degree. BUT, I will guarantee you that he started somewhere in a company using that engineering degree, proved himself and was promoted in the company "up the food chain".

You can be very successful without a college degree. What a college degree (especially in the business world) does is proves to potential employers that you have the commitment to accomplish something once you start it and at least some level of brains to be able to do that work.

When I hire someone, I am going to be much more impressed from the start if on the applicant can say he has a college degree compared to one that doesn't unless that one that one that doesn't has a ton of experience to prove the same thing the degree does.

Now, I once knew a woman whose husband died so she needed to support herself. She thought she needed a degree from college so she went to school. In what???? Art history??? Really? What the hell are you going to do with that in the real world?

Few questions for you:

If you consider it a waste, that is something that you will have to deal with. It is a bridge between high school and your professional life. One class isn't going to break your professional career. Although I would have never thought it 20 years ago, you will benefit from being a member of organizations (greeks, volunteering, internships, clubs, professional groups) as much as your education. There is no text book for 95% of the situations you will encounter. The only text books I ever see are Stats or Engineering. Even those guys use google.

What do I think the point of getting a degree and what society/companies believe are two different things. I can get into that if you want, but I would prefer not to. I think it is a problem that we force everyone into college. It isn't for everyone, but there really is no alternative. A 'business degree' is not a trade. You can't have the same expectation as someone that went through Welding at SCC. edit...which Buster describes above. Business is not Lawyer, Doctor or accountant.

Take it for what its worth because I'm not trying to argue with you. I wish you the best of luck.

FYI...I have a business degree and even over 20 years later, I use some things I learned in college every single day now that I'm in management.

Many times you will see an engineering type degree person having a double major in business or they go get an MBA after their undergraduate because what of what you can learn there and what you can do with it after you have it.

FYI...I have a business degree and even over 20 years later, I use some things I learned in college every single day now that I'm in management.

Many times you will see an engineering type degree person having a double major in business or they go get an MBA after their undergraduate because what of what you can learn there and what you can do with it after you have it.

Mechanical Engineer with a MBA are like gold right now.

I think you guys are defining education too narrowly. Education isn't just what you formally learn in a classroom, through a textbook, or by doing research. Education can be attained from experience. More often than not, that, in combination with the education you obtained from your main classes, is how you become the most effective worker possible (as well as using other important characteristics)

I'm also in agreeance with BRB, how much of the education you get in college that you eventually use in the work setting is highly dependent upon what you're majoring in. Psychology major, business minor here--and I will always have to keep learning because the field constantly updates itself monthly and yearly.

Any undecided kids out there:

If you are semi-mechanical and you want to make some solid money quick....go to Milford. Get into there electronics, specifically troubleshooting PLC's program. You'll be make more money than the psych majors in a lot less time. We can't keep these kids (19-20) at all because so much money is being offered to them.

I've heard that. And more and more I wish I would have went to tech school. Fast money to be made.