***Official Weather Thread***

• 1 month later...

I think my eyebrows crystalized on the way into work today and, even with gloves, my fingers were in pain by the time I got inside (only have a two minutes walk from my garage to my building). I can't imagine how people up north deal with this stuff on a regular basis. No thank you.

2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

-15 here in Chicagoland today with a feels like temp of -38.  Heck it's warmed up.  The feels like temp was -42 about an hour ago.

That's way more entertaining than the 800 people I've seen throw warm water up into the air and watch insta-freeze today.

• Fire 1

While most of us are dealing with Arctic temps, Southern California is dealing with something they're not familiar with - thunderstorms.  People in the Midwest take storms like this for granted, but they're foreign to Californians.  So foreign that the San Diego Trib put up an article about what to do in case of lightning.

A fast moving Pacific storm has been producing thunder and lightning in Santa Barbara and Los Angeles. The National Weather Service says the system will move into northern San Diego County between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. on Thursday, then spread countywide.

Such storms can be deadly; on average, 47 people are killed by lightning each year in the US. Lightning can heat the air around a bolt to 50,000 degrees.

The weather service offices the following advice on how to cope with such storms:

No place outside is safe when a thunderstorm is in the area. Get inside as soon as you hear thunder. Run to a substantial building or hard-topped metal vehicle as fast as you can.

If you can’t get to a safe building or vehicle:

Avoid open areas. Don’t be the tallest object in the area.

Stay away from isolated tall trees, towers or utility poles. Lightning tends to strike the taller objects in an area

Stay away from metal conductors such as wires or fences. Metal does not attract lightning, but lightning can travel long distances through it.

If you are with a group of people, spread out. While this actually increases the chance that someone might get struck, it tends to prevent multiple casualties, and increases the chances that someone could help if a person is struck.

If someone is struck by lightning:

Cardiac arrest is the immediate cause of death for those who die. Lightning victims do not carry an electrical charge and may need first aid immediately.

Call for help. Call 9-1-1.

Give first aid. Begin CPR if you are trained.

Use an Automatic External Defibrillator if one is available. These units are lifesavers.

Don’t be a victim. If possible, move the victim to a safer place. Lightning CAN strike twice.

• 2 weeks later...