CB Naijiel Hale [Washington - Signed LOI]

Not Joseph's region I don't think. More Beck's area than anything. This was "the" guy we needed to get for our CB spot this year and we whiffed. Fail on the recruiting staff. Our inability to get anyone near college ready in the backfield of the d is disappointing. It's the spot we just can't get for some reason...

I am pretty sure that Beck doesn't cover CA, he focuses on TX and QB's, and he most likely wouldn't be brought in to assist on a DB as the OC. I believe Fisher has CA and TJ would've been involved as well as the position coach.

Not Joseph's region I don't think. More Beck's area than anything. This was "the" guy we needed to get for our CB spot this year and we whiffed. Fail on the recruiting staff. Our inability to get anyone near college ready in the backfield of the d is disappointing. It's the spot we just can't get for some reason...

Are you talking about landing a HS recruit that is college ready? Or developing a CB once he's here???

Landing them. We know we can make them better but does it exclude us from trying to get better guys who are more ready?

Rose is about the only high profile guy I can say we have and he was a transfer. I'm not saying we don't teach them up extremely well but why not get higher ceiling guys if we can?

Imagine what we could do with a Priest Willis that we can't quite do with a kid like Mitchell for instance. Mitchell is great and has been coached to be a great fit for us but with the athletic ability that Willis has over Mitchell, you just gotta wish we coulda landed him last year.

What's annoying is that this is one of those kids we'd likely still be in on if the NCAA allowed summer OV's. They need to get with the times, the recruiting-cycle has sped-up too much to continue waiting til Fall. Plus summer visits can just be more practical. We'd still be at a disadvantage because of distance but we'd have gotten to take our best shot anyway.

Are you talking about landing a HS recruit that is college ready? Or developing a CB once he's here???

Landing them. We know we can make them better but does it exclude us from trying to get better guys who are more ready?

Rose is about the only high profile guy I can say we have and he was a transfer. I'm not saying we don't teach them up extremely well but why not get higher ceiling guys if we can?

Imagine what we could do with a Priest Willis that we can't quite do with a kid like Mitchell for instance. Mitchell is great and has been coached to be a great fit for us but with the athletic ability that Willis has over Mitchell, you just gotta wish we coulda landed him last year.

I agree that missing out on Hale and other high profile CBs is really weird. This staff knows how to coach the secondary, boasts great stats for disrupting pass efficiency (not to mention the #1 pass defense last year), and can get guys to the next level (even undersized guys). Still, I don't mind picking up under the radar guys who can learn and excel in our backfield. And, if you are worried about pure athleticism, check this out from Trai Mosley...

BM_exGLCMAAMtsS.jpg

Yeah, but he's not talking about getting elite athletes, he wants elite stars! You know, guys like chuck jackson and mo seisay.

We have had a problem landing corners the last couple of years. However, considering how well our current corners played last year and the young guys we have lined up (rose, davie, and yes, mosely) I don't see much to be concerned about. We need to get a few in this class for the future, but we'll be fine.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...