Any opinions on Hybrid clubs?

flatwaterfan

I carry a hybrid to replace my 3 iron. That is pretty common at professional and amateur level alike.

I could probably play a 4 hybrid but like the more boring flight of a nice 4 iron.

Depending on skill level and swing speed, I would probably replace your 3 iron for sure, probably 4 iron, and maaaaaybe 5 iron.

Yeah in all honesty I've taken my 3 and 4 irons out and replaced them with wedges. Like I said above I did receive a 4Hi as a gift but the courses in my loup don't require me to need longer irons much less a 3wood or 3hi. When I get down to omaha ill bring a 5wood just in case.

I am a hack so I need an easy club to hit... My swing speed is definitely slowing down.

So it sounds like the majority of you guys support a switch and that I should try a 3 & 4 to start with first, so I will try that.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it, more importantly the players on other fairways will appreciate it even more. Hahaha. Just kidding.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but didn't think a new thread was needed.

Wanted you golfers opinions on a new iron set I'm looking at. The Pings I have are 20 years old so any upgrade would be an improvement. I've been thinking of up grading for a few years, and this is the first year our Fed refund wasn't spent already.

They are TaylorMade Burner Plus irons. I believe they are 2011 models. Originally SRP $800, now $299. Obviously brand new still in the box. http://www.austads.com/customer/category/product.jsp/SUBCATEGORY_ID/11796/refScid/1092/sattr0/Hand/sattrVal0/right/sattr1/Gender/sattrVal1/mens

Does anyone currently use these, or has anyone heard good or bad about them?

Thanks for the input guys!

It'll depend a lot on your handicap, skill level, etc. These irons are not for a low-handicapper, but if you're a 10+ these seem to be pretty good. Browsing around, I can't find much bad to be said about them. Apparently pretty lightweight, have a large clubhead, high trajectory, and should give you about a club distance-wise over your old Pings. I bet you get more spin with some grooves that are newer than 20 years too! I guess I would say try to find a place to hit them and test them out, and if you indeed like them, get them fitted for length and lie angle.

I need to get new wedges this year so I'll be doing a similar thing! And you've got the $$$ value thing down, getting a 1-2 year old model really doesn't sacrifice much technology at all but often saves you 50-75% of the price.

I ordered them. Does anyone have an opinion on Golf Galaxy to get my fitting done? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

tschu, I'm a weekender. I love playing the game but can't seem to get below 90. If I could learn to quit pushing to the right all the time, it would be better. My luck is that if it goes right, you can bet a dollar to a doughnut, that its the closest line to OB. As nice as it is to get a +1 on here, those +1's on the course suck.

I ordered them. Does anyone have an opinion on Golf Galaxy to get my fitting done? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

tschu, I'm a weekender. I love playing the game but can't seem to get below 90. If I could learn to quit pushing to the right all the time, it would be better. My luck is that if it goes right, you can bet a dollar to a doughnut, that its the closest line to OB. As nice as it is to get a +1 on here, those +1's on the course suck.

Golf Galaxy > Austads

Another tip. Since you went for a new set of irons and got a great deal on them, when you go to get them fitted, try out several of the grip options. I've owned a couple set of Taylor Mades and don't like their grips(JMO). Spend the extra $80 bucks or so to get a grip that you are comfortable with! I like the Winn wraps that are new this spring and will probably put them on my i20s.