Spring Practice Updates

Gerry is ready to see the field as a true freshman body wise.....ran the 60 meter dash with a time of 6.94

Who's Gerry? Nathan Gerry? If so, I believe Nathan is not a member of Huskers team until fall practice.

Technically, he is already part of the team, as he is on the '13 Roster. He just isn't done with HS yet, so he can't partake in practices. No one said he was practicing, just saying that body/mass wise, with his speed, he could see the field, without having to bulk up.

Because its not possible for him to built like that naturally or off of legal supplements?

I just can't wait to see what we can produce, on both sides of the ball come fall. Alonzo Moore and Westerkamp should be quite impressive, and as for the DL, I think it could become a solid position. With Nickens, or one of the incoming freshman, we should be much better than last year. LB crew, I think talent will over due the lack of experience.

We just need to let our secondary do its job, rather than doing their job, while being accountable for the run, like last year. Had we had an average DL and LB crew, we would have seen a stiffer secondary defense, and more INT's. I think average is all we need, and I do believe we will be above that. Top 10, maybe not, but I do believe top 30, if not 25 rush defense.

Top 30 in overall defense? I would take that in a heart beat. My hope is a top 40 defense. If they can accomplish that with as much youth and experience that would be back for the 2014 season, the defense should be trending up. But it is way to early to look at that way as we need to see what the new guys can get done and how much they improve throughout the season.

I was speaking Rush defense in general BUT, in overall, top 25 should be pretty easy. I do believe we will have a top 10 Passing Defense, if not top 5. If we can crack top 25 in rush defense, that should (key word should) put us in the high teens on overall defense. Pelini has shown, as long as we have a dominant, or solid DL, he can run a top 10 defense. We have the anchors, they just need some decent talent to let everyone else do their jobs.

Before people start commenting on how they don't think we had a dominant pass defense, because of the Georgia game, they also have to remember how many extra duties the secondary had, that they normally don't. Like stopping the run. When your being accountable for the run, while your trying to cover a receiver, your going to occasionally get burned. That and PERFECTLY passes are going to happen, especially when there isn't anything you could have done defensively to prevent that. Murray had some excellent throws, that were practically undefendable.