New B1G Divisions

Note: Thanks to nebraskafaninwi for bringing this to attention.

ESPN released what the new East and West divisions are going to be.

"East" division

Maryland

Michigan

Michigan State

Ohio State

Penn State

Rutgers

Purdue or Indiana

"West" division

Illinois

Iowa

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern

Wisconsin

Purdue or Indiana

Link to full article here.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/73332/divisions-debate-down-to-indiana-purdue

I don't like it. Very similar to big 12. All the states with population and the most recruits are in same division.

True, but if we are winning our division consistently (3 out of every 4) then we will be getting quality recruits out those other states, just like we did when we were pulling quality recruits out of Texas. Plus this setup would give us an easier road to the CCG and a BCS bowl/playoff bid almost every year.

I don't like it. Very similar to big 12. All the states with population and the most recruits are in same division.

It's not exactly Texas on that side of the coin. Ohio and Michigan are locked down but it helps that more teams will dilute the talent pool in a region that Nebraska isn't generally in, save a few Ohio kids.

I'm glad they're getting rid of the protected crossover games (mostly). The idea was OK but I don't think it works very well in practice.

Also, I like 9 conference games for the being. If there is more expansion, 10 might be OK but you'd get your own division plus about half the other division each year and I think that is fine.

If we get Purdue in lieu of Indiana, it will likely be a full recruiting cycle of four years with some players never playing a team (Indiana) within their own conference even once.......fwiw.......

Not sure I follow you. Even on an eight game schedule, you'd have six division games and two against the other division which means you'd play each team at least every four years.