Nebraska Wrestling

It is pretty disappointing seeing 2 of the best wrestlers in the state,  Moomey and Burkes,  heading out of state for wrestling.  Both are going to D1 schools,  Moomey to Cornell and Burkes to Okie State.   I don't blame either of them because they are both going to great programs and will benefit greatly from it. 

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

It is pretty disappointing seeing 2 of the best wrestlers in the state,  Moomey and Burkes,  heading out of state for wrestling.  Both are going to D1 schools,  Moomey to Cornell and Burkes to Okie State.   I don't blame either of them because they are both going to great programs and will benefit greatly from it. 

Burks was the big one for me. Nebraska needed him desperately for 125 and couldn't get him. He stated that wrestling room partners were a big reason for his decision to Okie State and I cant fault him for that. That being said things change and Okie State already has another commitment from someone else for the exact same weight. Hope Manning and Co. continue to go after him. 

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

Burks was the big one for me. Nebraska needed him desperately for 125 and couldn't get him. He stated that wrestling room partners were a big reason for his decision to Okie State and I cant fault him for that. That being said things change and Okie State already has another commitment from someone else for the exact same weight. Hope Manning and Co. continue to go after him. 

Yeah here's hoping Manning can flip Burks.  Can't fault him for the reason on leaving at all as Okie Lite has some studs down low with Picc, Fix and Brock.  Perhaps NU can sweeten the pot with more scholly money if there is an opportunity there?  For some odd reason NU hasn't been able to snag a top flight 125lber in the longest time.  Probably since Paul Donahoe right?

4 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Yeah here's hoping Manning can flip Burks.  Can't fault him for the reason on leaving at all as Okie Lite has some studs down low with Picc, Fix and Brock.  Perhaps NU can sweeten the pot with more scholly money if there is an opportunity there?  For some odd reason NU hasn't been able to snag a top flight 125lber in the longest time.  Probably since Paul Donahoe right?

I hope he can because Nebraska really doesn't have a 125 unless Thomsen can stay at that weight. Really like Ridge Lovett in the 2019 class. Henrich could be a sleeper as he didn't give up a point this year in the smaller class in Iowa. Daventport is ranked #4 at 145. 2020 already has Allred who should be ranked #1 at 195 for next year and Serrano is impressed me when i saw him wrestle this year. Nebraska seems to struggle to recruit 125 and HWT. 

16 hours ago, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

I hope he can because Nebraska really doesn't have a 125 unless Thomsen can stay at that weight. Really like Ridge Lovett in the 2019 class. Henrich could be a sleeper as he didn't give up a point this year in the smaller class in Iowa. Daventport is ranked #4 at 145. 2020 already has Allred who should be ranked #1 at 195 for next year and Serrano is impressed me when i saw him wrestle this year. Nebraska seems to struggle to recruit 125 and HWT. 

Totally agree about HWT and we talked about 125.  I have been pleasantly surprised with Jensen as he seems to be turning the corner, pretty impressive for a guy that wasn't even a 1x state champ.  Would like to see them get another HWT as all they have is Emersom as a Fr.  I wonder if they're able to get Nash if they'll let him wrestle in addition to playing football.  Dude is a next level talent for wrestling.

2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Totally agree about HWT and we talked about 125.  I have been pleasantly surprised with Jensen as he seems to be turning the corner, pretty impressive for a guy that wasn't even a 1x state champ.  Would like to see them get another HWT as all they have is Emersom as a Fr.  I wonder if they're able to get Nash if they'll let him wrestle in addition to playing football.  Dude is a next level talent for wrestling.

I honestly don't see Nash wrestling in college. I think he is elite and would be a force at HWT for the years to come but Manning and Frost would have to have one heck of a game plan for this to happen. Plus this would include Nash cutting weight (around 30 lbs) to wrestle during off season training for football. He would most likely miss some spring football as well. I don't think Frost would go for that. We know Manning would!! :) 

46 minutes ago, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

I honestly don't see Nash wrestling in college. I think he is elite and would be a force at HWT for the years to come but Manning and Frost would have to have one heck of a game plan for this to happen. Plus this would include Nash cutting weight (around 30 lbs) to wrestle during off season training for football. He would most likely miss some spring football as well. I don't think Frost would go for that. We know Manning would!! :) 

I agree on the not wrestling in college piece.  The weight cut (which is hilarious saying weight cut in regards to 285) and the back-to-back nature of the seasons makes it a tough call.  

Here are your allocations for NCAAs this year...

https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/2019-03-01/ncaa-division-i-wrestling-qualifier-allocations-2019-championships

And here are the pre-seeds.  Official bracket comes out Friday I believe.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/big-ten-wrestling-tournament-2019-seeds-weights-20190304

And here's a preview if you're interested.  I just happened to click the 157 preview first, all the other weight classes have links at the bottom of the page.

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/03/big-ten-wrestling-championships-2019-157-pound-preview-picks.html

On 3/8/2019 at 9:41 AM, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

Big 10 Championship predictions

125- Moisey- 4th

133- Parrish 12th

141- Red- 6th

149- Shearer- DNP 

157- Berger- 2nd

165- White- 5th

174 Labriola- 3rd

184- Venz- 2nd

197 Schultz- 4th

HWT- Jensen 8th

5th place team finish behind Penn State, Ohio State, Iowa, and Michigan.

Overall i was pleased with Nebraska's effort. Sunday wasnt the day they were looking for but overall a solid showing by the Huskers. Moisey was a disappointment from the get go and most likely will not make nationals. Parrish came all the way back and got 9th. Im not positive if that gets him into nationals but a great Sunday for him. Red finally looking like the top notch recruit we were looking for. He shows up for big moments and hopefully can AA again this year. Shearer is a lot better than people give him credit for. Tough losses on Saturday probably ended his Husker career. Berger did exactly what i thought he would do. White. Should have made semis. Absolutely tanked in the 3rd against Massa but overall not a bad showing as 165 is loaded in the Big 10s. Labriola should never lose to the Minnesota kid. He did it twice this weekend. :( Venz was close to making finals. Losing to Parker for 3-4 wasnt a huge surprise. Can still see him making finals if hes opposite Martin of Ohio State. Schultz i was really impressed with. He beat former Husker Breske and took Warner to OT. Jensen beat a couple guys that i wasnt sure could especially pinning Parris from Michigan. 

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

Overall i was pleased with Nebraska's effort. Sunday wasnt the day they were looking for but overall a solid showing by the Huskers. Moisey was a disappointment from the get go and most likely will not make nationals. Parrish came all the way back and got 9th. Im not positive if that gets him into nationals but a great Sunday for him. Red finally looking like the top notch recruit we were looking for. He shows up for big moments and hopefully can AA again this year. Shearer is a lot better than people give him credit for. Tough losses on Saturday probably ended his Husker career. Berger did exactly what i thought he would do. White. Should have made semis. Absolutely tanked in the 3rd against Massa but overall not a bad showing as 165 is loaded in the Big 10s. Labriola should never lose to the Minnesota kid. He did it twice this weekend. :( Venz was close to making finals. Losing to Parker for 3-4 wasnt a huge surprise. Can still see him making finals if hes opposite Martin of Ohio State. Schultz i was really impressed with. He beat former Husker Breske and took Warner to OT. Jensen beat a couple guys that i wasnt sure could especially pinning Parris from Michigan. 

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.  Not sure what happened to Moisey this year...guessing either injuries or the weight cut got to him.  Nice run by Parrish to come back and get 9th, will be interesting to see if that gets him a WC spot.  Red wrestled great with wins over a couple top 6 guys and it'll be interesting to see if he can parlay that into another AA finish.  Berger has zero shot against Nolf which isn't a knock on Berger, Nolf is just other worldly.  Would've been nice to see Berger try and create a little bit of offense but I get it against a dude like Nolf you're just trying to survive out there.  165 is a total crapshoot, White could make the finals or DNP...who knows. Any one of the top 8 guys could win and I wouldn't be shocked.  I missed Labriola's first match against the Minny kid so not sure how he got pinned but it appears it's a toss up with those guys as Labriola is 1-2 with 2 of the matches being 1 point decisions either way.  I get that Mark Hall is a total stud but man his style is so boring.  I think Venz is still one year away from going next level as he still struggles getting out from the bottom against the top tier dudes and frankly, no one is touching Martin this year anyways.  Venz is a total hammer on top though and his style plays well in the NCAAs since a total meat grinder and dudes are pretty beat up.  Now, if Sheed is truly gimped up and not just protecting his seed than Venz could get him provided he stays away from the Martin side of the bracket.  Schultz has really impressed me as of late and I think he's got a shot to get a low level AA if the seeds break right for him.  Really nice showing for Jensen as well and he also has a shot to get that AA if he can avoid Jennings from NW and Hemida from MD haha.  Those guys seem to own Jensen.

I think best case scenario for NU is 6 AAs with 2 finalists and worst case scenario is 3 AAs.  I can't see a scenario where Berger and then 2 of the group of Venz, White and Labriola don't get to the podium.

• Plus1 2