Nebraska Wrestling

3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.  Not sure what happened to Moisey this year...guessing either injuries or the weight cut got to him.  Nice run by Parrish to come back and get 9th, will be interesting to see if that gets him a WC spot.  Red wrestled great with wins over a couple top 6 guys and it'll be interesting to see if he can parlay that into another AA finish.  Berger has zero shot against Nolf which isn't a knock on Berger, Nolf is just other worldly.  Would've been nice to see Berger try and create a little bit of offense but I get it against a dude like Nolf you're just trying to survive out there.  165 is a total crapshoot, White could make the finals or DNP...who knows. Any one of the top 8 guys could win and I wouldn't be shocked.  I missed Labriola's first match against the Minny kid so not sure how he got pinned but it appears it's a toss up with those guys as Labriola is 1-2 with 2 of the matches being 1 point decisions either way.  I get that Mark Hall is a total stud but man his style is so boring.  I think Venz is still one year away from going next level as he still struggles getting out from the bottom against the top tier dudes and frankly, no one is touching Martin this year anyways.  Venz is a total hammer on top though and his style plays well in the NCAAs since a total meat grinder and dudes are pretty beat up.  Now, if Sheed is truly gimped up and not just protecting his seed than Venz could get him provided he stays away from the Martin side of the bracket.  Schultz has really impressed me as of late and I think he's got a shot to get a low level AA if the seeds break right for him.  Really nice showing for Jensen as well and he also has a shot to get that AA if he can avoid Jennings from NW and Hemida from MD haha.  Those guys seem to own Jensen.

I think best case scenario for NU is 6 AAs with 2 finalists and worst case scenario is 3 AAs.  I can't see a scenario where Berger and then 2 of the group of Venz, White and Labriola don't get to the podium.

First time around for Labriola he got pinned in overtime (Got taken down and once two was awarded he just laid there) Weird penalty point in that match against Labriola and I thought he should have been awarded back points at the end of the match. I missed the second match for 3rd and 4th but hes just the better wrestler. Needs wins like that to become an AA.  Nebraska should be solid again next year. 125, 133, 149 and 157 are the question marks with some freshman and red shirt freshman having to fill some holes. Thomsen at 125 and Parrish at 133 makes sense. 149 i have no idea and I am guessing Robb at 157? 

27 minutes ago, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

First time around for Labriola he got pinned in overtime (Got taken down and once two was awarded he just laid there) Weird penalty point in that match against Labriola and I thought he should have been awarded back points at the end of the match. I missed the second match for 3rd and 4th but hes just the better wrestler. Needs wins like that to become an AA.  Nebraska should be solid again next year. 125, 133, 149 and 157 are the question marks with some freshman and red shirt freshman having to fill some holes. Thomsen at 125 and Parrish at 133 makes sense. 149 i have no idea and I am guessing Robb at 157? 

That makes sense about Labriola and getting stuck.  Yeah I got nothing for 149 gotta think they'll RS Davenport unless he comes out like a house on fire.  Wouldn't be shocked to see them get a grad transfer for the spot.

16 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

That makes sense about Labriola and getting stuck.  Yeah I got nothing for 149 gotta think they'll RS Davenport unless he comes out like a house on fire.  Wouldn't be shocked to see them get a grad transfer for the spot.

I'm hearing they are going to get Silverstein down to 149 and Robb at 157...Thomson will hold down 125. 

Just now, grim reaper said:

I'm hearing they are going to get Silverstein down to 149 and Robb at 157...Thomson will hold down 125. 

That would make sense.  I forgot that Shearer was a Jr. so you've got him for one more year so it may be a moot point unless injury/transfer.  I'm guessing Baptista can't make the cut to 149 anymore?

4 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

That would make sense.  I forgot that Shearer was a Jr. so you've got him for one more year so it may be a moot point unless injury/transfer.  I'm guessing Baptista can't make the cut to 149 anymore?

Sounds like Robb and Silverstein are just better and more ready then Baptista. After that it wouldn't surprise me to see each move up a weight (157, 165). Plus Shearer is gone after this year. He is going to medical School.

3 minutes ago, grim reaper said:

Sounds like Robb and Silverstein are just better and more ready then Baptista. After that it wouldn't surprise me to see each move up a weight (157, 165). Plus Shearer is gone after this year. He is going to medical School.

Ahh good to know on Shearer.  You know...that's right I remember reading an article about this a few weeks ago.  Totally slipped my mind.  That makes sense about Robb and Silverstein.

1 minute ago, Xmas32 said:

Ahh good to know on Shearer.  You know...that's right I remember reading an article about this a few weeks ago.  Totally slipped my mind.  That makes sense about Robb and Silverstein.

Then they will have either Davenport of Brock Hardy at 149. Unless Hardy can make 141 when he gets back from his mission.

4 minutes ago, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

I wonder if Nebraska has talked to Gross at all. I know most people think he is going to Wisconsin but I have heard that SDSU will block that transfer. He would be a great get and would let Parrish redshirt next year. Its unlikely but man that would be nice to have him in the lower weights!! I expect Robb to fill in nicely! 

Yeah Gross would be an awesome get and I'd be stoked if it happened.  Unfortunately,  I can't see anyway SDSU is able to block Gross from transferring to Whisky tho especially as a grad transfer.  This would be a really bad look for SDSU especially since the AD is on a board that is involved with the transfer portal (I can't remember the exact specifics as I heard this on Flo's Big Ten preview podcast)

20 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Brackets are out...

https://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/images/2019/03/13/2019_ncaa_d1_brackets.pdf

Skers got some tough draws.  Venz's in particular is a little bit of a headscratcher as the #9 seed and catching Martin in the QFs.  

Seeds were horrendous for the Huskers. Red getting a 16 seed while making finals at Big 10. Carr got I believe a 6 and we controlled him in the quarters and went 1-1 in the year. Venz didnt make sense at 9. None. Zero. I believe Dean got the 4 and Venz is 3-0 against him.  Thought Schultz would get a top 8 seed and didnt. Jensen's seed didnt make sense either. Mason Parris is the 5 seed. Jensen was up 4-1 BEFORE he turned him and pinned him! 

I do have to give a tip of the cap to ESPN, they do a great job with the NCAA Wrestling coverage.  Having all the sessions being televised plus all the mats available for streaming (and with the streaming quality being the opposite of Flo which means its...you know actually good) is terrific.  I'll do my best to provide live updates to the matches...yeah I pretty much get no work done during these couple days with both wrestling and basketball haha.

• Plus1 1