Nebraska Wrestling

Tough result last night.  I thought when Purinton got the pin at 149 that Nebraska would've been able to pull it out and offset the two MDs that Penn State got at 133 and 141.

125--Nice win for Thomsen, did a nice job fighting off Meredith's shot in the 3rd.

133--Overall I thought Lovett wrestled pretty well.  RBY got him into a couple scrambles and just kinda out athleted him because well..RBY is a GD wizard.  If/when Lovett gets more refined on his feet he's going to be a really tough out due to him being a hammer on top.  I saw Burroughs had a tweet where this is the 3rd Top 10 guy Lovett has wrestled and none of them have chosen bottom.  Really gross spot at the end to give up the MD.

141--Man...Red is so Jekyll and Hyde.  As good as he looked against Murin, he looked equally bad against Lee.  Hats off to Lee, that was honestly awesome.  He broke Red.

149--Nice work to get the pin.  Veerkleeren had a pretty unathletic looking attempt to defend and ended up getting stuck.  Hey we'll take it!

157--Robb obviously too big for Piper and does a nice job riding him for 3+ minutes.  Still...Robb had a great shot for a TD right from the jump.  I would've liked to see Robb maybe cut Pipher early in the match and try for more TDs.  Still, the flow of the match was close enough that I can't fault Robb for holding on.

165--I can't beat up on Isaiah too much because he's wrestled the top 2 dudes in the country in his last 2 matches but man...he's on the struggle bus trying to get off the bottom.  While looked like he zero desire to be out there tonight after Joseph stonewalled his first couple shot attempts.  Bummer.

174--Mark Hall is really, really, really good.  Textbook Nolf move at the end going for the cradle on a tired opponent after cutting him.

184--Total role reversal of his last match against the Iowa kid.  Venz looked great out there.  Awesome pancake to get his first TD.  Overall terrific effort by both guys.  Easily the match of the night.

197--Every time I see Schutlz wrestle, I start to like him more and more.  Obviously very strong, keeps really good position.  He really outmuscled Rasheed last night.  Really good tests for him coming up with Moore of Ohio State and Brunner of Purdue.

285--Actually pretty good action for the big fellas.  Lance had a nice shot in the 3rd period but it looked like he just didn't quite have the juice to finish it.  Don't think it really would've mattered as Nevills looked like the better guy out there.  Hard to believe he's a true frosh.  He's going to be really, really good when it's all said and done.

• Plus1 1

On 1/26/2020 at 7:32 PM, MLB 51 said:

Venz was terrible today. Caffey is strong and worked Venz pretty good.

I was following along via Twitter and was wondering what the heck happened.  Man Venz is blowing hot and cold.  You are correct about Caffey as he's a horse.  Hopefully BTN will show the dual on one the "BTN Wrestling in 60" shows they put up during the week as I'd like to watch it.

Do you by chance have BTN+?  If so, what are your thoughts on it?  I keep going back and forth as I'm not sure if it's worth the cost because I'd really only use it for wrestling.

4 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I was following along via Twitter and was wondering what the heck happened.  Man Venz is blowing hot and cold.  You are correct about Caffey as he's a horse.  Hopefully BTN will show the dual on one the "BTN Wrestling in 60" shows they put up during the week as I'd like to watch it.

Do you by chance have BTN+?  If so, what are your thoughts on it?  I keep going back and forth as I'm not sure if it's worth the cost because I'd really only use it for wrestling.

I have the "Nebraska" specific version of BTN+  I like it. I was only $80 for a whole year. It's definitely worth it if you follow volleyball, wrestling, basketball, and some of the other Husker sports. I might actually get to watch more Husker baseball and softball this year. :)

If you only plan to watch wrestling, I would just get the monthly instead of yearly subscription. just the Nebraska only version, it's cheaper that way.

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, MLB 51 said:

I have the "Nebraska" specific version of BTN+  I like it. I was only $80 for a whole year. It's definitely worth it if you follow volleyball, wrestling, basketball, and some of the other Husker sports. I might actually get to watch more Husker baseball and softball this year. :)

If you only plan to watch wrestling, I would just get the monthly instead of yearly subscription. just the Nebraska only version, it's cheaper that way.

Appreciate it!

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...

Overall the team looked pretty sharp.  Good Venz showed up and if that Venz shows up I'd make him the favorite to win Big Tens and he wouldn't shock me if he made a finals run (assuming he doesn't catch Valencia.)  Otherwise, pretty solid effort.  I think Robb is going to be pretty good and all this experience he's getting in tough matches as a freshman is going to be invaluable down the road.  He always seems to get an early takedown but that he just kinda shuts his offense down which won't get it down against the top guys who will attack for all 7 minutes.  Red, Labs, Schultz, Lovett all looked great.  White looked good too, just had a couple moments of sloppiness that cost him the MD.

On the UM side, Mason Parris is awesome and I can't wait to see he and Stevenson square off a couple times.  Parris destroyed Jensen.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Overall the team looked pretty sharp.  Good Venz showed up and if that Venz shows up I'd make him the favorite to win Big Tens and he wouldn't shock me if he made a finals run (assuming he doesn't catch Valencia.)  Otherwise, pretty solid effort.  I think Robb is going to be pretty good and all this experience he's getting in tough matches as a freshman is going to be invaluable down the road.  He always seems to get an early takedown but that he just kinda shuts his offense down which won't get it down against the top guys who will attack for all 7 minutes.  Red, Labs, Schultz, Lovett all looked great.  White looked good too, just had a couple moments of sloppiness that cost him the MD.

On the UM side, Mason Parris is awesome and I can't wait to see he and Stevenson square off a couple times.  Parris destroyed Jensen.

Jensen looked terrible in that match. We need a new HWT.

17 hours ago, MLB 51 said:

Jensen looked terrible in that match. We need a new HWT.

Yeah it's been a hot minute since Nebraska had a top flight HWT.  Tucker Lane was pretty good his Sr. year if I remember correctly.  I agree Jensen didn't look great but Parris is wrestling out of his mind right now.  If you haven't watched his destruction of Cassioppi, check it out on YouTube.  It's awesome.

• Plus1 1