Nebraska Wrestling

Overall, I don't think you have to be pretty darn thrilled with how Nebraska has wrestled thus far.  Would've been nice to see Venz get to the finals but I'll gladly trade a loss in the Big Tens for a win over Brooks at the NCAAs.  Really want to see the guys who lost in the semis last night bounce back and get into the 3rd/4th place match today (I'm looking at you Chad Red Jr!).  Could be a potentially huge day for Labs' confidence if he get scoop Ws over Lydy and potentially get a rematch against Skatzka.

I was still holding out some hope that White may be able to get over the hump against Joseph but I just don't think it's going to happen.  Joseph looks like he's solved White and I'm not sure if White has anything else he can throw at him.  With Wick MFF out I hope White can bounce back for 3rd and hopefully get the #3 seed and take a crack at Marinelli.  Granted your trading one set of problems with Joseph for another with the Bull.  Robb gets a chance to avenge a loss against Tucker today.  Man..I just need more offense out of Robb.  He's so good when he shoots but he just doesn't do it often and if he doesn't get that first TD it seems like it's a coin toss for him.

• Plus1 1

Thought the Huskers looked great overall! Hope this helps with theirs seeds coming up on Wednesday. Thomsen, Robb, and Purinton really helped themselves out! Quite honestly the only one i am a little disappointed in right now is Labriola. Seems like he is just thinking way too much on the mat instead of wrestling. Look at his match against the Michigan State. He scores 17 points but hes constantly looking over at coaches. Dude is so talented. Just wrestle. Venz on Saturday looked like he can win nationals. I truly believe that. Day One of the tourney worries me with him because i believe weight loss has cost him some matches in the 3rd period this year. 

Predictions 

125- Thomsen- Hes a year or two from placing. 125 you have to be good on the mat. That is exactly where he struggles. DNP

133- Lovett- Future stud. Will be hard to All-American this week after taking 7th at Big 10's. Needs to be great on his feet as we already know hes great on top. 8th

141- Red- 2x All American already and should make it 3. Top 2-3 guys are tough. Will be interesting on the seed. Away from Pletcher is a good thing. 4th

149- Purinton has guts. He takes 3rd at Big 10's. Should help with seeding. He wrestles like that again and he will be an All-American. Would be a great story for that kid. 7th

157- Robb- So happy they got him from SDSU. Works hard for the the whole 7 minutes. He can All American. Seeding will be a huge thing here though. 8th

165- White-  Tough weight class. White usually beats everyone that is ranked below him and loses a close battle Marinelli or Joseph? Can he change that? I dont know. 4th

174- Labriola- Guy can wrestle with the best of them but seems like he is struggling a little bit. Hopefully he doesnt see the Minnesota guy. So sick of losing to him. 7th

184. Venz - I thought he looked good throughout the tournament. Brooks is dynamic and he pinned Venz. Not worried about it. This is the most open weight class there is. No Big 10 names up top. Venz sitting around 8-10 seed. I like all of it. I prefer he doesnt match up against the UNI guy but if that happens hopefully Venz is ready. I believe its his time. 1st

197- Schultz- Might be our most dependable wrestler. I expect him to be seeded anywhere from 3-6. I hope 3 or 6. :) so he can stay away from Moore until finals. If he does i think he makes finals. 2nd

HWT- Jensen- Hes a senior. Hes good on top. He can cause problems but sometimes that backfires on him. Cant beat the top 4 big 10 guys. Will be interesting. Think he makes it to round of 12 before getting knocked off. 

Obviously with no seeds out its tough to predict. Once i see the seeds i should be able to make a more educated guess. 

• Plus1 2

I think that's a reasonable take @SODAKSKERSFAN20.  I think Robb/Lovett/Purinton are all going to make the blood round and after that it's all based on matchups.  I guess I worry more about the young guys because they really need to get the 1st TD (especially Robb) otherwise they seem to really be behind the 8 Ball.  I think Lovett is going to special down the road if he can get his offense on his feet going on top because he's so tough on top.  

With Venz I honestly have no idea.  Anywhere from 1st to 6th is within his range of outcomes and he needs to stay away from Caffey of course.  I think Labs can go deep if he can stay away from the Lydy/Skatzka as he just has a block when it comes to those guys (he's obviously a ways away from Hall/Kemerer although I'd give him a punchers chance against Kemerer).

I'd love to see Jensen get to the podium as he's really turned it on in the 2nd half of the year and is really peaking nicely.

• Plus1 1