Nebraska Wrestling

On 2/1/2022 at 11:52 AM, Xmas32 said:

Should be a really fun dual.  Great litmus test for Nebraska especially at the upper weights.  Lots of great matches.  I think Michigan's ability to get bonus points in a couple spots will ultimately be the deciding factor.  Sadly, I think UM wins 20-12.

Pretty accurate. Even if Labs had won, we still lose 17-16.

• Plus1 2

Seems like it was a pretty good atmosphere, wish NU was able to pull it out.

125--Medley TF'd Reno out at the Cliff Keen and this time was no different.  Clear example of a true frosh going up against a Senior in terms of physicality.  I have no doubt that Reno is talented, he just needs more time in the weight room. 

133--Pretty nice showing out of Serrano.  Ragusin is a bottom podium AA guy and Serrano hung in there.  It's great that he's getting these reps against top tier competition and it will serve him well in the future.

141--Great match by Red against a really tough guy in Micic.  Red always seems to wrestle his best when the stakes are highest.  Great job controlling the match and wrestling smart.  Red gets an awesome matchup hopefully this weekend against Nick Lee from PSU.

149--Nice job by Ridge getting the bonus points against a scrappy kid that was in there to compete.  Ridge's ability to ride up top is going to keep him in every single match.  He's going to be a really tough out.

157--I just wish Robb was more aggressive on his feet as it seems like everytime he shoots he scores.  Close match and I think he had the two there in SV although it was tight.  Not a great shot at the end that allowed Lewan to score.

165--Wow, I did not see Bubba getting the win there.  Great job getting the TD at the end.  He'll have a good test against Berge of PSU this weekend who is a wrestler of similar caliber plus he's got some old man savviness to him.

174--Really meh performance out of Labs.  Massa really pushed him around the entire match and looked like he really wanted the win.  Labs better shake off the cobwebs because he's got a freaking beast on Sunday potentially in Starocci.

184--You know, I thought Venz looked pretty good.  He was aggressive, had some great shots, it's just Amine is really freaking good and really freaking hard to score on.

197--Outstanding match out of Schultz, he was tough, pushed the pace and finished his shots against a really tough guy in Brucki who is a 2x AA.  Side note, Brucki is carved out of freaking granite.  If Schultz wrestles like this, he's got a great shot at knocking off Dean on Sunday.

285--I've been really pleased with how Lance his wrestled this year, he hung right in there with Parris, slowed down the match and eventually just got beat because Parris is a level above.  He's got a good test against Kerkvilet of PSU this weekend who is another top tier guy.  Lance is a stone cold real shot to AA this year and I think he gets it done.

9 hours ago, MLB 51 said:

Pretty accurate. Even if Labs had won, we still lose 17-16.

Carnac The Magnificent GIF | Gfycat

• Plus1 3

Big dual here in about 90 minutes!  Let's go Skers!  Found a really nice preview for the dual on a PSU site, prediction seems reasonable. 

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2022/2/5/22915151/penn-state-wrestling-preview-no-1-vs-no-12-nebraska-lovett-labriola-venz-rby-kerkvliet-berge-brooks

I'll base my thoughts on what the author posted in terms of the projected lineup for PSU.

125--PSU by TF

133--PSU WBF

141--PSU by dec, I think Red can keep it close although he and Nick Lee know each other extremely well

149--NU by dec

157--Robb by MD, he needs to come out shooting early and often

165--If Berge wrestled for PSU, he wins by dec, if not Wilson by dec

174--Labs should hammer Manville by MD.  Manville hasn't wrestled much folkstyle in the past few years.  If Starocci goes, PSU by dec

184--Brooks is on another level.  PSU by MD

197--Schultz gets it done.  NU by dec

HWT--I think Lance keeps it close and is able to use his physicality to really slow down the match.  Ultimately, Kerkvilet is pretty slippery and he's able to get a few TDs and ends up winning like 6-2.  PSU by dec.

Nebraska makes a really game effort and keeps it close to the end.

PSU 21

Nebraska 17

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Big dual here in about 90 minutes!  Let's go Skers!  Found a really nice preview for the dual on a PSU site, prediction seems reasonable. 

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2022/2/5/22915151/penn-state-wrestling-preview-no-1-vs-no-12-nebraska-lovett-labriola-venz-rby-kerkvliet-berge-brooks

I'll base my thoughts on what the author posted in terms of the projected lineup for PSU.

125--PSU by TF

133--PSU WBF

141--PSU by dec, I think Red can keep it close although he and Nick Lee know each other extremely well

149--NU by dec

157--Robb by MD, he needs to come out shooting early and often

165--If Berge wrestled for PSU, he wins by dec, if not Wilson by dec

174--Labs should hammer Manville by MD.  Manville hasn't wrestled much folkstyle in the past few years.  If Starocci goes, PSU by dec

184--Brooks is on another level.  PSU by MD

197--Schultz gets it done.  NU by dec

HWT--I think Lance keeps it close and is able to use his physicality to really slow down the match.  Ultimately, Kerkvilet is pretty slippery and he's able to get a few TDs and ends up winning like 6-2.  PSU by dec.

Nebraska makes a really game effort and keeps it close to the end.

PSU 21

Nebraska 17

I highly doubt 133 will be bonus. That will be tight match! Bubba wilson can certainly beat berge as well!!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, HuskerNU09 said:

I am, he showed it. Dont sleep on serrano if you have been watching him. He'll do damage in big 10s

Sure he will, but he isn't beating either of the top 2 at 133. I don't mind a little optimism, but Xmas32 has been pretty spot on with every prediction.

• Plus1 2