Nebraska Wrestling

My officially official predictions for the Skers.

125--10 qualifiers, I never say never but it's gonna be tough for Reno.  Here's hoping he can at least pick up a win and build towards next year.

133--10 qualifiers, Serrano has a real shot at qualifying.  He's got Cannon from NW who he lost to 5-4 in the 1st round.  Win or lose, he'll have to beat the loser of Ramos (Pur) or Oliveri (Rut) to lock up a spot.

141--7 qualifiers.  What a stupid weight.  How Red didn't get the Big Ten an AQ spot is beyond me.  It's now March, which is where CJ turns it on.  I give him a great shot to make the semis where he should get another crack at Lee from PSU.  I don't think Rivera is going to wrestle much due to injury so I'll call it and say Red finishes 3rd.

149--7 qualifiers, Lovett will have a tricky quarters match against either Storr or Van Brill.  I think he solves Gomez this time around and makes the finals against Sasso.

157--7 qualifiers, I think Robb is a lock for a spot unless he goes 0-2 which would be stunning to me.  I'd love to see him string together a couple wins and get another crack at Deakin in the semis but I think we end up seeing Robb wrestle for 7th/8th

165--7 qualifiers, It's gonna be a tough climb for Wilson because I think he needs to finish in 7th or better to lock up a spot because I don't think he gets an at large.  My prediction is he'll get another crack at Braunagel from Illinois in the consis and ends up having to wrestle Fish from MSU in the 7th/8th match.  I think Nebraska gets one of Serrano or Wilson to the NCAAs and I think Serrano's path is easier with more AQ slots so I'll side with Serrano.

174--8 qualifiers, Labs' loss to to Massa has really refocused him IMO.  I think we get another Labs/Massa in the semis and Labs gets revenge and gets to the finals against Starrocci.

184--12(!) qualifiers, man I dunno with Venz.  He could go 0-2, he could make the semis.  Beats me.  He gets a rematch with Lyon from Purdue in the 1st round who he lost to 7-2.  If Venz gets by Lyon, he probably catches Assad from Iowa whom he pinned although I think the match was pretty close when Venz caught and launched him.  Venz is probably my favorite wrestler for NU because of his high variance style so I'll split the difference and say he does some awesome stuff, some dumb stuff and ends up wrestling for 5th/6th

197--11(!) qualifiers, Schultz is wrestling extremely well.  I really want to see him get a crack at Dean because Dean wrestles a funky style and is really tough on top and I'd like to see Schultz wrestle him in case they see each other at NCAAs.  Semis should be great with Schultz catching boring a$$ Warner and Dean against Caffey who is a freaking mutant.

HWT--9 slots, Lance has had a tough go catching the top tier guys recently.  He should catch Hilger from Wisc in the consis who he's matched up well against in the past.  I think Lance wrestles to his seed and goes for 5th/6th.

Think the Skers get 1 champ and qualify 8.  Should be good for 4th or so. 

• Plus1 1

Mixed bag yesterday.  Wow, Michigan wrestled out of their minds.

125--2 & Que.  Onward and upward Reno!

133--Serrano has to beat Oliveri of Rutgers to clinch an AQ spot.

141--Woof.  Red looked terrible.  Sounds like he was sick with the flu which would make sense.  I'm not super familiar with how they aware at-large spots but the folks over at The Mat seem to think he should one of the wild card spots.  Here's hoping they're right.

149--Disappointing result in the semis but I'd by lying if I didn't geek out a bit on that toss by Gomez.  That thing was awesome.  He just jacked Lovett up in double unders and took him for a ride.

157--Nice job by Robb, he wrestled a great match against Coleman who is superrrr slick and did a nice job coming on top.  He wrestled Deakin tough and that's all you can ask for.  This version of Robb has a real shot at AA status.

165--Tremendous, tremendous job by Wilson.  He wrestled clean, wrestled smart and I'm tickled to see him locking up an AQ spot.

174--Nice job getting to the semis but I'm sure Labs will be disappointed by that result.  That semis match was WILD.  Tons of action and scrambles.  Man, Massa looked great last night, he was shooting from the stands on some of those attempts and still getting in on Labs' legs.  Even with all that, Labs still had a shot with 30 seconds left when he almost caught Massa during that scramble.

184--Nice job getting to the semis, Brooks is just at another level.  Good test in the consi semis against Braunagel who thumped Venz just a couple weeks ago.

197--Great job by Schultz, exactly what I was hoping for to see Dean in the finals.

HWT--Little disappointing with the loss to Luffman, here's hoping Lance bounces back against the OSU guy.  These are the exact types of matches Lance is gonna need to win to secure AA status.  Side note, holy smokes what a brain fart by Kerk against Cassioppi in the semis.  Yikes.

• Plus1 1

https://www.ncaa.com/championships/wrestling/d1/road-to-the-championships#:~:text=The 2022 NCAA Division I,be announced Wednesday%2C March 9.

For anyone who wants to do the work (I do not), there is a two stage process for determining the at-large bids.

First the pool of eligible wrestlers is determined. To be eligible, a wrestler must meet at least two of the following criteria:

• .700 overall winning percentage (at the weight)
  • .700 Division I winning percentage at the weight class
  • Top 33 RPI (taken after the qualifying tournaments)
  • Top 33 Coaches Ranking (Taken after the qualifying tournament)
  • One win against a wrestler who qualified for the National Tournament
  • Qualifying event placement one below AQ

Then from that pool, the following criteria are applied to determine at-larges:

• Head-to-Head Competition
  • Quality Wins (defined as current year NCAA Qualifiers)
  • Coaches Rank (final poll, after the qualifying tournaments)
  • Conference tournament placement
  • Results vs. common opponents
  • Win percentage