Nebraska Wrestling

Tremendous job by the lads this weekend!  Special tips of the caps to Labs, Hardy and Robb.  Robb especially wrestling really well.  Ed Scott from NC State is a super tough kid and Robb has now beaten him 3 straight times.  Labs with the YUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE win over super stud Lewis from VT. 

Would've been great to have Ridge in there at 149 but I understand why he took the RS with Yanni/Sasso being Seniors plus a bunch of other dudes like Murin from IA, Thomas from NW, Millner (App State) also being Seniors.  

• Plus1 1

Good job by the the 2023 recruits at today's Ironman tournament which features some of the best high school wrestlers in the country.

Stiles - 157# won his weight class

McDanel - 190# came in second.  He lost to the number 1 seed by a 3-2 decision

Dalton - 150# came in 4th.  In the semis he lost a 2 point decision to the number 1 seed and eventual champ

Lauridsen - 120#  He started off well with 4 wins but got teched in the semis and then got pinned twice in the consolation. One of those pins was to a wrestler he beat in the opening rounds.   Maybe he was not feeling well today.

• Plus1 2

• 2 weeks later...

14 hours ago, HANC said:

I feel dumb asking this, bc it is probably widely known, but what was the motive behind Lovett redshirting? Was it just a personal decision?

I don't follow the wrestling team super close so I may be incorrect but I believe he's basically ducking Yianni Diakomihalis.  The top of the 149lb division is loaded with seniors and Yianni is basically unbeatable so I really can't blame Ridge but it does suck because he would certainly be one of the top guys in his class giving us a chance at a good team finish.  Essentially taking the year off to work on his game and take a crack at being a two-time NCAA champ.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Farms said:

I don't follow the wrestling team super close so I may be incorrect but I believe he's basically ducking Yianni Diakomihalis.  The top of the 149lb division is loaded with seniors and Yianni is basically unbeatable so I really can't blame Ridge but it does suck because he would certainly be one of the top guys in his class giving us a chance at a good team finish.  Essentially taking the year off to work on his game and take a crack at being a two-time NCAA champ.  

That's the way I understand it as well.  It does suck because Lovett would be a strong candidate for a high AA finish.  Nebraska is now basically trading Lovett's points for Labriola's points as I think he's done this year at 174 unless he can get a goofy 7th year.  

• Plus1 1