Nebraska Wrestling

Cronin is really wrestling with his hair on fire right now.  He looks great out there.  I wonder if he's going to be the guy that finally gets NU over the hump for an AA finish.  I couldn't believe it but the last time NU had an AA at 125 was Paul Donahoe back in 2007 and 2008.  Hell, even 133 has scuffled.  Eric Montoya AA'd in 2016 and 2017 and that's really been it.

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

Cronin is really wrestling with his hair on fire right now.  He looks great out there.  I wonder if he's going to be the guy that finally gets NU over the hump for an AA finish.  I couldn't believe it but the last time NU had an AA at 125 was Paul Donahoe back in 2007 and 2008.  Hell, even 133 has scuffled.  Eric Montoya AA'd in 2016 and 2017 and that's really been it.

We need to fill a few spots. 133, 165, and HWT need serious upgrades. Cronin looks good, but Lee pinned him in under 2 minutes. He should make AA, though.

14 hours ago, MLB 51 said:

We need to fill a few spots. 133, 165, and HWT need serious upgrades. Cronin looks good, but Lee pinned him in under 2 minutes. He should make AA, though.

Ha, in fairness, Lee is pinning almost everyone inside of 2 minutes!  Agreed on the upgrades on the other weight classes for sure.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

Did Condomitti get  hurt? I really thought he would turn it on this year kind of how Pinto is at 184. Next year is big for Manning to find a 125, 133, and 174 to compete. I really like the rest of the lineup next year. 

I sure think so, he hasn't wrestled since November it looks like.  I wouldn't be stunned to see Antrell Taylor grab 165 next year.  125 should be interesting next year as they've got Van Dee who was a pretty talented kid out of PA and I imagine Lauridsen from Bennington will come in at 125 as well.  I think Burwick can be serviceable at 133 but it's hard to see his ceiling being more than a NCAA qualifier.  Brown Ton at 174 looks like he's having a pretty good season so far so cautious optimism there.  With the transfer portal the way it is and Nebraska in theory having some strong talent, they might make for an attractive transfer destination.

• Fire 1

Not having a 149 available is inexcusable.  I mean what are we even doing here!?  I was excited to see Andrews at HWT but holy smokes, he can't weight more than maybe 210.  He looked like Eric Schultz sized out there.  I did see on another forum in interesting thought on perhaps Pinto/Allred moving down a weight class each next year and Andrews going to 197.  No idea if that is possible or not given what those dudes weigh already.

Really nice effort out of Labs at 174.  Ruth is going to be an absolute PITA for years to come.  Extremely long and dangerous, just like his brother.

• Plus1 1
On 2/1/2023 at 5:13 PM, Xmas32 said:

I sure think so, he hasn't wrestled since November it looks like.  I wouldn't be stunned to see Antrell Taylor grab 165 next year.  125 should be interesting next year as they've got Van Dee who was a pretty talented kid out of PA and I imagine Lauridsen from Bennington will come in at 125 as well.  I think Burwick can be serviceable at 133 but it's hard to see his ceiling being more than a NCAA qualifier.  Brown Ton at 174 looks like he's having a pretty good season so far so cautious optimism there.  With the transfer portal the way it is and Nebraska in theory having some strong talent, they might make for an attractive transfer destination.

In 2 years I think incoming frosh Alan Koehler might be a one to watch at 125 lbs.  I expect Lauridsen to redshirt and battle for the 133 lb. weight the following year. 

Ethan Stiles is a two-time Illinois state champion and is currently ranked No. 6 at 160 pounds by Flowrestling.   He was first at Ironman this season.  Of all the incoming frosh I think he might have the best chance to skip a redshirt year.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1