Nebraska Wrestling

Easily the best Nebraska has looked all season.  Here's hoping this means they're peaking.  Looked like it was a terrific atmosphere.

125--Nice job fighting and keeping the match to a regular decision.  Reno is obviously outmatched as a true frosh and unfortunately is taking his lumps.  He's getting invaluable experience though and I'm confident this will be dividends down the road.

133--A bit surprised to see Thomsen out there, guessing Manning figured that Thomsen had a better chance of not getting pinned.  Expected result, DeSanto is really tough.

141--Really entertaining match and Red was going for it.  Loved his aggressiveness, Eierman is just a cut above, no shame in that.  If Red wrestles like that, he'll be a really tough out come NCAAs.

149--Ugh, such a boring match.  Turk's offense is essentially throwing right hooks (he threw one from left field that Lovett ducked) although I was stunned that he actually shot a couple times.  Lovett finally got the TD late after Turk wisely decided to go neutral.  Turk is never beating Lovett ever and have to imagine Brands was ducking Lovett for seeding.

157--I think I need to recalibrate my expectations of Robb.  When he beat O'Connor earlier this year, I took it as a sign that Robb had taken the leap and was ready to challenge for AA status.  After watching him the last month, I'm not sure that's the case.  Big Tens will tell us quite a lot I think.  Granted, I realize the Big Tens is an absolute meat grinder and every match is tough.

165--Nice job by Bubba keeping the match to a regular decision.

174--What a match!  That was awesome, I thought Labs earned a couple NF points when he rolled Kemerer through but it was probably close.  Statement win for Labs.

184--Venz's matches are nothing if not entertaining.  Great job catching Assad with the trap arm and launching him for the fall.

197--Great tough win by Schultz.  He has been wrestling awesome this year and I really want to see him match up against Dean at Big Tens.  197 is wide open with Ferrari out and Schultz has more than a shot at winning it all.  Would be poetic justice for Schultz to go deep after last year's disappointment.  Warner did nothing on top and should've gotten dinged for stalling.  All he was doing was the parallel ride.

HWT--Pretty much went expected, Lance is wrestling well, Cassioppi just a level above.  I don't mind the stall calls on Lance although Cass wasn't doing a ton, he at least kept breaking Lance down to his belly.  Honestly, Lance could've gotten dinged like 4 times for stalling, he didn't do much.

• Plus1 1

Saw this posted on another forum and it makes quite a bit of sense.  The officiating was inconsistent with Red getting shut down at 141 but Turk was allowed to just bomb away.

my only complaint in the dual was the officiating at 141

red comes out on fire, going after eirman and twice pushes him out  of bounds... the second time the ref says... you're done, you're done... and red stops wrestling aggressively.

not saying he would have won the match.. but it changed things.

and dont tell me he was too rough, see the next match where turk tries to take lovett's head off (again and again) and no call...

• Plus1 1

I think Nebraska is a stone lock to get 7 and if the bracket breaks right/they wrestle well Serrano and Wilson have a great shot at getting to NCAAs.  Would be huge for those guys to get a taste of the big stage.  Reno has certainly taken his lumps this year but this experience has been invaluable for him, maybe he can get hot and string a couple wins together.  

I'm really looking forward to 141.  Lee/Eierman/SeaBass should be epic and it's now March which means Chad Red turns into a freaking beast!

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Hmmmm, debating if I want to pull the trigger on getting BTN+ for the Big Tens this year.  The regular coverage is usually quite good and Nebraska should get some extra run since it is at Lincoln.  Anyone have a login they could throw me :cheers

You can get it for team and sport specific. I pay $10 or $11 a month just for Nebraska. I'll cancel after wrestling season is over.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, MLB 51 said:

You can get it for team and sport specific. I pay $10 or $11 a month just for Nebraska. I'll cancel after wrestling season is over.

Ok, excellent that is good to know.  I was only seeing the monthly option of $14.99.  A bit steep just to watch Big Tens but I might pull the trigger.  Perhaps I'll be able to find a torrent stream online somewhere.  Preferably one that doesn't give my computer a weird virus lol.

5 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Ok, excellent that is good to know.  I was only seeing the monthly option of $14.99.  A bit steep just to watch Big Tens but I might pull the trigger.  Perhaps I'll be able to find a torrent stream online somewhere.  Preferably one that doesn't give my computer a weird virus lol.

I've never found a stream for wrestling. Like I said, you can cancel it at any time. Make sure to uncheck the box for auto-renewal.

• Plus1 1