Nebraska Wrestling

21 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

If/when Manning decides to move on and if Snyder doesn't get bumped up, I would imagine Chris Pendleton at Oregon State will get a call.  The Beavs wrestled tremendously well this weekend.

I don't follow wrestling super close is Manning getting close to retirement? Manning has had a lot of success but I can't help but wonder if a new younger coach could help take the team to another level. 

43 minutes ago, Farms said:

I don't follow wrestling super close is Manning getting close to retirement? Manning has had a lot of success but I can't help but wonder if a new younger coach could help take the team to another level. 

Prior to NCAAs there were some grumblings that maybe he had taken the program as far as it had gone.  I don't have any inside knowledge or anything like that, but I can't help but notice that Nebraska has really started turning out some elite level talent at the prep level over the past few years and a lot of those guys haven't been ending up at UNL.  I know it's tougher in wrestling to stockpile talent given scholarship limitations and there are only so many weight classes but you can't help but notice a guy like Isaac Trumble at NC State that is starting at 197 as a freshman.  Or that Grice (Bell East) and Hamilton (Papio) are both heading to UVA.  They were able to snag Taylor from Millard South but there have been quite a few guys that have slipped away.

Manning has been a terrific steward of the program and is a terrific guy but 20 years is a really long time.  That being said, if you move on Manning, what are you hoping the next guy will do?  Penn State and Iowa are the two big dogs in the conference and will always be loaded as long as Cael and Brands are there.  Okie State had a rare down year but they are always in the mix, plus there are a handful of other teams that are always tough.  If prep recruiting isn't going to be your jam, then you need to make hay in the portal.  Michigan snagged two studs that helped push them to a top 2 finish.

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

Nebraska has a history of letting go to people and hiring people who don't do as well.  I would be careful here.

It's definitely just speculation on my part and I'm assuming the reason Snyder has stayed for so long is he's viewed as the HC in waiting although I could be totally wrong on that.  Regardless, it's a moot point now with Nebraska having their best NCAA finish in a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On 4/20/2022 at 10:36 AM, Xmas32 said:

Really talented kid.  Will be interesting to see how much bigger he gets.

His younger brother is one to keep an eye on also.   

Speaking of homegrown kids,  I hope we are putting a full court press on Joel Adams from Millard South.  That kid is WAY to good to have leave the state.    

• Plus1 2