Ham and Beans

• 3 weeks later...

I've got this.

After soaking the beans overnight, get a six pack of a good pale or brown ale. First thing ya do is drink one to make sure it's good. Then put the ham shank and beans in ziplock bags. Have another beer. Put the bags in the fridge until a woman that knows how to cook shows up. Order a pizza and have up to 4 more beers when the pizza arrives. If no woman shows up to prepare the ham and beans, throw them out in about a week.

• Fire 1

I've got this.

After soaking the beans overnight, get a six pack of a good pale or brown ale. First thing ya do is drink one to make sure it's good. Then put the ham shank and beans in ziplock bags. Have another beer. Put the bags in the fridge until a woman that knows how to cook shows up. Order a pizza and have up to 4 more beers when the pizza arrives. If no woman shows up to prepare the ham and beans, throw them out in about a week.

Have you ever thought about starting your own show, cooking for men on spike tv!

vinegar works for those of the gaseous sort; and doesn't complicate those with sensitivity to sodium.

Never used chicken stock; just water. Add all the incredients into big enough pot/kettle and bring to boil, then simmer until tasty :)

"the expert" the Mom in law does the quick soak method. Check the package. Her total cook time is usually 4+ hrs or until soft/tasty :)

Knapp is kinda the resident guru other than Roxy; among others no slight intended

I've got this.

Have you ever thought about starting your own show, cooking for men on spike tv!

Actually I do know how to cook quite a few things. This just wasn't one of them. The whole "soaking" beans thing........guess I'm more of a ready to eat, canned beans sort.

??? Please explain. I think I'm missing either something funny or something that might actually be disgusting....

Sorry . . . I tried and failed to find a link. There was a chili recipe posted on reddit a few months ago and the author had very strong feelings about dry beans vs. canned beans. Something like "DO NOT USE CANNED BEANS YOU DISGUST ME."

It's quite likely that no one else laughed at that recipe . . . but I have a weird sense of humor.

Now that that's out of the way . . . I do notice quite a difference when cooking with soaked and boiled dried beans compared to canned beans. It's a lot more work but I think that guy's rant contained some truth. Next time you cook with canned beans look a little more closely at the syrupy sauce that they're packed in. It is a little weird. I still use canned beans at least half of the time but when I have the time I prefer dry.

??? Please explain. I think I'm missing either something funny or something that might actually be disgusting....

Sorry . . . I tried and failed to find a link. There was a chili recipe posted on reddit a few months ago and the author had very strong feelings about dry beans vs. canned beans. Something like "DO NOT USE CANNED BEANS YOU DISGUST ME."

It's quite likely that no one else laughed at that recipe . . . but I have a weird sense of humor.

Now that that's out of the way . . . I do notice quite a difference when cooking with soaked and boiled dried beans compared to canned beans. It's a lot more work but I think that guy's rant contained some truth. Next time you cook with canned beans look a little more closely at the syrupy sauce that they're packed in. It is a little weird. I still use canned beans at least half of the time but when I have the time I prefer dry.

OK, good. I thought possibly I had accidently offended you. I only like doing that when it's intentional :P I can appreciate that dry beans are probably higher quality at the end of the day but something about a can opener and a dumping motion satisfies my desire for efficiency. I'm not a big bean eating guy anyway although I do love me some fresh green beans out of the garden. When I make chili, I use canned Kuners Pinto beans in chili sauce but use as little of their sauce as possible. I can't stand red kidney beans at all. I even pick them out of Wendy's chili. They remind me of a cockroach- tough dark skin with squishy innards, yuck.