Ways that Nebraska Has Pioneered

Totally forgot about the Hudl software that started in Lincoln.

Edit: Also, I know the guys at Three Pillars Media (made the video above). Good friends and better people.

Was hudl made be an NU student?

The CEO was working with the football team in the video department and came up with a better way to distribute film. Hudl is a great invention for high school film. Some colleges have their own software developed for studying film, but many still use Hudl for distribution and highlights. Georgia has one of the most advanced video software I have seen at the college level.

This article goes over some of the information.... http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5312405

The thing is, there is no longer an edge in weight training anymore as all major programs across the country do the same lifts. The school that pioneers the next big thing will be the team that gets the competitive edge. I hope what Nebraska is building right now will be the next big thing.

You mean like EliteForm software that is partnered with University of Nebraska Strength and Conditioning program that is bringing the next generation of training to athletes and coaches?

I think we are pioneers and will continue to be for a long time.

Yep, that is part of it. Here is a video I watched

As cool as that stuff is, outside of drawing potential recruits I don't think they are necessarily the next innovation in S&C. The real innovators are out there working independently, but colleges/pro teams are afraid to hire them because of their unconventional methods. Even though it would be a downgrade for them professionally, I wonder what a guy like Joe Defranco could do working at a D1 school.

I think we are the first wt 2 back to back championships in a 25 year period.

Correct. Only Bama has done the same, but we got ours first.

I think we're the winningest program since WW2.

We might be the first program to fire a coach who never won less than 9 games every year as a HC.

Theres a Joe Gibbs quote out there somewhere about Tom Osborne being the first coach to start pulling guards. Or at least thats who Gibbs said who he replicated.... Not sure how true, or if its true, if TO was the first to start pulling guards. Older fans might be able to shed more light on that? Maybe it was just one specific play?

The walk-on program deserves a mention, if it hasn't already.

We were the only team to beat Notre Dames "Four Horsemen", and we did it twice.

The "Fumble-rooskie".

Didn't Solich have a 7-7 season????

As cool as that stuff is, outside of drawing potential recruits I don't think they are necessarily the next innovation in S&C. The real innovators are out there working independently, but colleges/pro teams are afraid to hire them because of their unconventional methods. Even though it would be a downgrade for them professionally, I wonder what a guy like Joe Defranco could do working at a D1 school.

Oh it's serious innovation...you're just not looking at it with perspective in my opinion.

If I had stuff like this when I was a college football player I'd have been able to push myself much further than ever before. Being able to track your motion and your reps with cameras like this does 2 things:

1. It holds the person accountable for completing their workouts

2. It makes the person doing the workouts do the correct motion

The #1 problem with weight lifters in gyms and in programs is incorrect motion when lifting. You don't get the right motion, you're not benefiting fully. This software is mind boggling tying in their nutrition, academics and S&C...it's amazing.

I wonder how many BCS programs use this technology now? I know Nebraska and Texas A&M use it.

Oh it's serious innovation...you're just not looking at it with perspective in my opinion.

If I had stuff like this when I was a college football player I'd have been able to push myself much further than ever before. Being able to track your motion and your reps with cameras like this does 2 things:

1. It holds the person accountable for completing their workouts

2. It makes the person doing the workouts do the correct motion

The #1 problem with weight lifters in gyms and in programs is incorrect motion when lifting. You don't get the right motion, you're not benefiting fully. This software is mind boggling tying in their nutrition, academics and S&C...it's amazing.

I agree, it's really an exciting piece of technology and something that I would love to have someday as a S&C coach, especially due to the fact that you're working with literally hundreds of athletes. Also, the power output and movement analysis is intriguing. I just don't think it's going to make a MAJOR difference on the field. Like I said earlier, the real innovations are being made by those who exploring unorthodox training methods. Obviously guys like Defranco approach things differently than a strength coach at a college, but the guy gets amazing results. Many of his methods are slowly being implemented into the college game.