Which program becomes the second program to win their 1,000th game?

5. Mack Brown is old and he will be fired soon.

That's the best thing that could happen to Texas. Mack is a Made Man in Austin for some reason, but once they get smart and axe him, presuming they hire a good coach, not a figurehead, they should take off to the stratosphere.

Of course, the history of Texas is one of underachievement, so maybe they do that again. Hard to say.

I understand they've fallen on some hard times lately, but didn't Mack take a previously struggling program to the stratosphere (however 'brief'-ish-ly?)

I'm not that up to date on my Texas history granted. I just see Mack frequently get negatively grades and I'm just curious as to some of the reasons for it.

That's the best thing that could happen to Texas. Mack is a Made Man in Austin for some reason, but once they get smart and axe him, presuming they hire a good coach, not a figurehead, they should take off to the stratosphere.

Of course, the history of Texas is one of underachievement, so maybe they do that again. Hard to say.

I understand they've fallen on some hard times lately, but didn't Mack take a previously struggling program to the stratosphere (however 'brief'-ish-ly?)

I'm not that up to date on my Texas history granted. I just see Mack frequently get negatively grades and I'm just curious as to some of the reasons for it.

There is a Texas fan on the Ohio State Scout forum that explained all of this. I will search for the info tonight. If memory serves, a lot of it came down to recruiting misses (bad recruiting), poor assistant hires and the like.

There is a Texas fan on the Ohio State Scout forum that explained all of this. I will search for the info tonight. If memory serves, a lot of it came down to recruiting misses (bad recruiting), poor assistant hires and the like.

Why can't you ever provide the info, instead of saying it exists and never posting anything after?

Mack has 1 big recruiting miss...Garret Gilbert. We've had plenty of those at the QB spot. Every team does. If you miss there, you win 8 games a couple years in a row instead of 11. And there were very few poor assistant hires - in fact his assistant hires were maybe too good - because he was turning them over to SEC coordinator and HC jobs on a near yearly basis.

wholesale-short-school-bus-tp_3922472903304101158.jpg

Why can't you every provide the info, instead of saying it exists and never posting anything after?

Mack has 1 big recruiting miss...Garret Gilbert. We've had plenty of those at the QB spot. Every team does. If you miss there, you win 8 games a couple years in a row instead of 11. And there were very few poor assistant hires - in fact his assistant hires were maybe too good - because he was turning them over to SEC coordinator and HC jobs on a near yearly basis.

Simple, if I could remember who the recruit was I could easily bring up the article.

Why can't you every provide the info, instead of saying it exists and never posting anything after?

Simple, if I could remember who the recruit was I could easily bring up the article.

So when you're ignorant of the subject just keep your mouth shut.

So when you're ignorant of the subject just keep your mouth shut.

I will just let the mods take care of this.

Mack Brown got lucky, in my opinion. Entered into the program with all the momentum in the world - a new conference, an enormous upset to win the inaugural conference championship, etc., and took advantage of it, turning it into a snowball.

His first six seasons were only a hair more impressive than Bo's current resume as a head coach. Then Vince Young happened.

I can't tell if he got lazy over time, or always was, but the prevailing Texas attitude has always been that they are already superior to everyone else. This leads them to think they can get away with taking all the best high school kids (on paper, not necessarily from thorough evaulation) from their state and their state only and they'll magically produce results.

Mack Brown got lucky, in my opinion. Entered into the program with all the momentum in the world - a new conference, an enormous upset to win the inaugural conference championship, etc., and took advantage of it, turning it into a snowball.

His first six seasons were only a hair more impressive than Bo's current resume as a head coach. Then Vince Young happened.

I can't tell if he got lazy over time, or always was, but the prevailing Texas attitude has always been that they are already superior to everyone else. This leads them to think they can get away with taking all the best high school kids (on paper, not necessarily from thorough evaulation) from their state and their state only and they'll magically produce results.

I disagree with the bold. Mack Brown entered a situation similar to what Bo did. Texas had a losing record (4-7?) in 1997. It's what was the axe for Mackovic.