SCOTUS and Gay Marriage

I hate memes, so damn much, they are pain in the ass to quote, but to Qmany, Marriage(the idea) may not have been invented by any one religion, nor should any religion own the term marriage. But because most religions have invested most of their history around the word and idea, I think its easier to separate the church and state and find common ground. If no one is prepared to compromise on the issue, no real progress can be made.

Who is grasping on to this word is my question? Catholics, Muslims, atheists? Pretty sure any of them can go get a "marriage" license. No church or religion is needed. Throw in some gay people and NOW these religions have a problem with how the word is being used?

I hate memes, so damn much, they are pain in the ass to quote, but to Qmany, Marriage(the idea) may not have been invented by any one religion, nor should any religion own the term marriage. But because most religions have invested most of their history around the word and idea, I think its easier to separate the church and state and find common ground. If no one is prepared to compromise on the issue, no real progress can be made.

Who is grasping on to this word is my question? Catholics, Muslims, atheists? Pretty sure any of them can go get a "marriage" license. No church or religion is needed. Throw in some gay people and NOW these religions have a problem with how the word is being used?

my point was that religions absolutely have a right to determine who they want to marry and who they do not want to. they have that same right for confirmation and other sacraments. however, the state should not abide by the religious definition of marriage being between a man and woman. the state affords certain rights to man and woman for no other reason than religious tradition. as such, they are denying rights based on sexual orientation. they are using a religious definition to justify discrimination.

you can say that the state has an interest in preserving the family unite, but gay marriage does not threaten that. and the state should have an interest in extending certain rights to gay couples.

i know we are not disagreeing, i just wanted to clarify my point.

My second question, and yes I am serious. For all the people who are pro-gay marriage/rights, are you for polygamous marriage equality as well? Why or Why not? The reason being, I personally think people should be allowed to enter into a relationship that all parties are consenting to and legally agree upon.

My opinion as I expressed to my bat-sh*t crazy Aunt:

Polygamy raises questions about exploitation, abuse, patriarchy, issues with respect to taxes, inheritance, and child custody that regular and gay marriage does not. If a state prohibits polygamy, it’s prohibiting conduct (choice). If it prohibits gay and lesbian citizens from getting married, it is prohibiting based upon their status. Polygamy is a choice. You choose to want to marry 20 women. It is not a choice to be black, female, or gay. You shouldn’t be able to discriminate those based on that status.

Poor argument.

First, your '...raises questions about exploitation, abuse, patriarchy...' is simply your biased opinion. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want two or more wives and families - but just because I can't imagine it for myself - I don't assume those who prefer that lifestyle to be exploiting, abusing and dominating their wives. I guess your only exposure to polygamists has been in the form of TV news clips where some weirdo on a compound somewhere just married his 7 wife who happens to be 14.

--

We have laws governing taxes, inheritance, and child custody for couples - and there is no reason to believe we couldn't amend them for marriages of 3 or more adults. Discriminating against the civil rights of polygamists because the laws currently on the books can't handle it is rather weak.

--

Marriage is a choice -- for anyone who participates (unless you're in India)

You're confusing marriage - a legal contract to another - with sexual orientation.

Churches can elect, or not, to marry anyone they want. No point of contention there. But a Judge should be able to marry gays and lesbians.

Marriage is one of those things that Christians appropriated into a 'sacrament' that existed long before there was Christianity, and in cultures that never have been Christian. It is not a social standing that was invented by the Christians.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/03/28/_be_they_gays_be_they_nambla_be_they_people_who_believe_in_beastiality.html

Ben Carson needs to read the buzzfeed link I posted earlier, because he is apparently an idiot.

Well, my thoughts are that marriage is between a man and a woman. It's a well-established, fundamental pillar of society and no group, be they gays, be they NAMBLA, be they people who believe in bestiality. It doesn't matter what they are. They don't get to change the definition. So he, it's not something that is against gays, it's against anybody who wants to come along and change the fundamental definitions of pillars of society. It has significant ramifications.

Interesting that a black man would suggest that "fundamental pillars of society" can never be changed. A black man who is a world renowned neurosurgeon, at that.

Hilarious how America was settled due to religious persecution and was founded on the idea of separation of church and state; yet a large percentage of the population still believes that not only is it okay, but that it is correct to discriminate against a certain subset of the population merely on the basis of what their religion deems to be unholy. "Gay marriage shouldn't be legal because my religion says it's a sin" is some of the worst logic you can ever come up with.

True Christians wouldn't care about the government making same sex marriage legal. The government is not their church. Of course, in my opinion, true Christians don't take part in politics.

So you think there are like....what, ~773 or so true Christians in America? That's just an arbitrary number but I mean, that's a damn narrow definition.

True Christians are people who put saving faith in Jesus Christ. As misguided as it may be, that's possible to do while still caring about governmental influence on same-sex marriage.

Hilarious how America was settled due to religious persecution and was founded on the idea of separation of church and state; yet a large percentage of the population still believes that not only is it okay, but that it is correct to discriminate against a certain subset of the population merely on the basis of what their religion deems to be unholy. "Gay marriage shouldn't be legal because my religion says it's a sin" is some of the worst logic you can ever come up with.

True Christians wouldn't care about the government making same sex marriage legal. The government is not their church. Of course, in my opinion, true Christians don't take part in politics.

So you think there are like....what, ~773 or so true Christians in America? That's just an arbitrary number but I mean, that's a damn narrow definition.

True Christians are people who put saving faith in Jesus Christ. As misguided as it may be, that's possible to do while still caring about governmental influence on same-sex marriage.

Glad you clarified that for us. My wife is a christian who believes in equality. Her faith is Methodist. Faith has nothing to do with being misguided into believing in something or someones ideas. I believe Sal (Paul) was gay. Who gets a boat and sails around the Mediterranean with a young boy preaching hate on women. Really? I think the issue is bigger than religion. You all can preach about equality and rights but I would bet most people do not want 2 guys kissing in the neighbors driveway. Yet alone your 8 year old watching it, 2 girls, another story. I loved my neighbors. They were the best. We put in a driveway, torn down a garage port, had them for dinner and even let Jason pick my son up from middle school when he had an exotic car to show off (61 Ferrari 250). I miss them. But, I have to admit the first time I saw them kiss in their driveway, kind of creep-ed me out. I still am not comfortable seeing it on TV. Do I care, no. If that's what you want, knock yourself out. I believe this is the real issue. You can not get on national TV and and say "What they aren't telling you (in California) is how close the vote was", guess what, the people voted. Anybody in a committed relationship for long term, deserves the right to make choices and share in the benefits of their significant other. Some states still have common laws on their books. I have friends that will tell you "I'm pro gay rights" and look the other way as if its fashionable to say that. I'll wrap this up and leave it at this, Black, White, Jewish, Muslim, Gay all peoples deserve the opportunity to live the life that they choose, as long as they are not harming anyone and deserve to share benefits of that union.

Glad you clarified that for us. My wife is a christian who believes in equality. Her faith is Methodist. Faith has nothing to do with being misguided into believing in something or someones ideas. I believe Sal (Paul) was gay. Who gets a boat and sails around the Mediterranean with a young boy preaching hate on women. Really? I think the issue is bigger than religion. You all can preach about equality and rights but I would bet most people do not want 2 guys kissing in the neighbors driveway. Yet alone your 8 year old watching it, 2 girls, another story. I loved my neighbors. They were the best. We put in a driveway, torn down a garage port, had them for dinner and even let Jason pick my son up from middle school when he had an exotic car to show off (61 Ferrari 250). I miss them. But, I have to admit the first time I saw them kiss in their driveway, kind of creep-ed me out. I still am not comfortable seeing it on TV. Do I care, no. If that's what you want, knock yourself out. I believe this is the real issue. You can not get on national TV and and say "What they aren't telling you (in California) is how close the vote was", guess what, the people voted. Anybody in a committed relationship for long term, deserves the right to make choices and share in the benefits of their significant other. Some states still have common laws on their books. I have friends that will tell you "I'm pro gay rights" and look the other way as if its fashionable to say that. I'll wrap this up and leave it at this, Black, White, Jewish, Muslim, Gay all peoples deserve the opportunity to live the life that they choose, as long as they are not harming anyone and deserve to share benefits of that union.

firefly.gif

I mean this is 0% a religious issue and 100% a political issue

It's kind of sad there's even votes on this topic. The point of the constitution is to protect people from mob rule. "We'll hold a vote to determine whether or not we'll treat that subset of people as equals". -- makes no sense. We either believe in equality in this nation or we don't. You can't have it both ways.

i just am impressed with how fast public perception has changed on this. i know if i was a homosexual i would not feel that way, but not long ago gay marriage was a wedge issue used by rove to get republicans to the polls. now the tide has completely turned. it is pretty neat that society can, even if rarely, change its mind on important issues within a lifetime.