SCOTUS and Gay Marriage

It's kind of sad there's even votes on this topic. The point of the constitution is to protect people from mob rule. "We'll hold a vote to determine whether or not we'll treat that subset of people as equals". -- makes no sense. We either believe in equality in this nation or we don't. You can't have it both ways.

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority." -- John Dalberg-Acton

So you think there are like....what, ~773 or so true Christians in America? That's just an arbitrary number but I mean, that's a damn narrow definition.

True Christians are people who put saving faith in Jesus Christ. As misguided as it may be, that's possible to do while still caring about governmental influence on same-sex marriage.

Dude, I'm not calculating. I'm just stating the example the Bible gave us. Jesus didn't care about what the Romans and their government were doing and he sure didn't get involved in Politics...every single conversation that the religious leaders tried to bring to political ends were redirected by Jesus. Being a Christian means modeling your life after Jesus' and living according to the principals that guided his life...so, wouldn't we do the same and avoid political infighting and caring what the government thinks is legal or isn't legal?

I understand what you're doing. However, what you're saying is that people who don't model their lives like Jesus in this one specific, particular regard (not mentioning any other single element of life that we consistently fail to live by Jesus' model), are not true Christians.

That's wrong and not okay.

I understand what you're doing. However, what you're saying is that people who don't model their lives like Jesus in this one specific, particular regard (not mentioning any other single element of life that we consistently fail to live by Jesus' model), are not true Christians.

That's wrong and not okay.

That's not what I'm saying...it is what the BIBLE says. If someone ignores entire facets of his ministry then they're not aspiring to the example he set. In my opinion, a "Christian" who is blatant and willful against the teachings of Jesus is, as Paul said in his writings, an apostate.

Look, Christians can't have their cake and eat it too...the Bible has the rules. You either follow, as close as you can, the example Jesus set forth (and the example his anointed followers provided for us) or you don't. Most "Christians" pick and choose what they want to follow and leave out the rest.

First you claim the Bible says "x", then you say "in my opinion, a Christian is ___". Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

Do you know what else Paul said? "For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate."

The whole point of Jesus is because we CAN'T follow the example. We're imperfect and sinners and wicked. More than "most" Christians pick and choose; every single Christian picks and chooses. That's the definition of what sin is.

A True Christian is someone who has been declared righteous and regenerated by the Holy Spirit. That's it. It's by grace alone that we have been saved; not by obedience.

So I guess it comes down to: Are you an American or are you a Christian?

Would you prefer that

A) America legalizes gay marriage and you carry on with your life

or

B) You continue practicing your discriminatory beliefs by moving to a foreign country that allows you to do so?

• Fire 2

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/04/03/texas-republican-links-gun-reform-to-same-sex-marriage-bestiality/

“In fact, I had this discussion with some wonderful, caring Democrats earlier this week on the issue of, well, they said ‘surely you could agree to limit the number of rounds in a magazine, couldn’t you? How would that be problematic?’

And I pointed out, well, once you make it ten, then why would you draw the line at ten? What’s wrong with nine? Or 11? And the problem is once you draw that limit ; it’s kind of like marriage when you say it’s not a man and a woman any more, then why not have three men and one woman, or four women and one man, or why not somebody has a love for an animal?

There is no clear place to draw the line once you eliminate the traditional marriage and it’s the same once you start putting limits on what guns can be used, then it’s just really easy to have laws that make them all illegal.

This guy... he just... makes no sense...

i have always stood for the sanctity of traditional magazines.

What's crazy is that somewhere out there, someone is reading that quote and thinking... "You know, that makes a lot of sense! If we restrict magazine size, we're all gonna turn gay and have to marry a cow!"

devnet, do you know how hard it is to follow a plethora of rules? Especially ancient rules with ambiguous meanings?

No one is going to follow every single rule; we are all going to fall short many times in our lives. But that doesn't matter, if we accept Jesus as our savior, when we find those pearly gates God won't see us, he'll see his Son.

Gay marriage is a point where political decisions are influenced way more than they should be by religious belief. It shouldn't be that way, but the sole nature of our society has made it so.

I've an interesting question: can gay people not be Christian? By Bible logic, isn't that impossible?

Just accepting Jesus as our savior isn't enough...

Isn't enough for what? Might want to weigh that statement against Scripture to see if it actually holds water (hint; it doesn't).

Accept Jesus as savior is enough, because it is the catalyst that results in Him sending the Holy Spirit to dwell inside and regenerate you, thus enabling and encouraging you towards good works.

Doing things is not a requirement; it is a result. A result of a transformed heart.

• Fire 1

I'm not convinced--maybe we're splitting hairs, but shouldn't you, through your faith--naturally do "works"?

It's the way it's worded, but it's basically the same thing.

It's not the same thing at all, unfortunately. But you are right in your question.