LeBron/Kobe/MJ

When he picks up the ball, neither of his feet are on the ground, so when his first foot comes down, that establishes his pivot foot. Then he takes 2 steps for the layup. Questionable, but not a travel by the rules.

You get 2 steps on a layup as long as the steps are continuous into the shot.

That's the difference between what the rule book says and what is being allowed.

You get 2 steps on a layup. You're taught that from the first time you dribble a basketball. Not sure where the confusion lies there.

Depends on when you are counting the steps. The rule book says two steps - one with each foot. By your first post, you said he get to put his first foot down then take two steps. E.g., if you put your left foot down you can step with your left then with your right. That is traveling as you cannot lift your pivot foot then put it back down again.

However, the NBA admitted they are allowing an extra step from what the rule book states.

When he picks up the ball, neither of his feet are on the ground, so when his first foot comes down, that establishes his pivot foot. Then he takes 2 steps for the layup. Questionable, but not a travel by the rules.

You get 2 steps on a layup as long as the steps are continuous into the shot.

That's the difference between what the rule book says and what is being allowed.

You get 2 steps on a layup. You're taught that from the first time you dribble a basketball. Not sure where the confusion lies there.

Depends on when you are counting the steps. The rule book says two steps - one with each foot. By your first post, you said he get to put his first foot down then take two steps. E.g., if you put your left foot down you can step with your left then with your right. That is traveling as you cannot lift your pivot foot then put it back down again.

However, the NBA admitted they are allowing an extra step from what the rule book states.

Yes you can.

I found a gif of him taking 4-5 steps against the Celtics on a post play. It's atrocious. But it's too large a file to post and I never found it on youtube.

I recall a specific play of Jordan's when he traveled on a baseline spin move and I remember being pissed that they put it on one of his highlight videos (Above and Beyond I think). That was about the only time I remember Jordan taking advantage of the rules was on that play. He was definitely an aggressive defender, but the rules kinda allowed that back then. Definitely made it tougher on the offensive guy.

Watch this video. This is how every kid is supposed to be taught how to do a layup. On a right-handed layup, you pick the ball up when your left foot hits the floor (which is your pivot foot) and then you step with your right foot, then step with your left and jump off of it. Yes, you can lift your pivot foot and put it back down.

Watch this video. This is how every kid is supposed to be taught how to do a layup. On a right-handed layup, you pick the ball up when your left foot hits the floor (which is your pivot foot) and then you step with your right foot, then step with your left and jump off of it. Yes, you can lift your pivot foot and put it back down.

In this example, the right foot is the pivot foot. Your first step after ending your dribble (not simultaneous) is your established pivot foot.

In this example, the right foot is the pivot foot. Your first step after ending your dribble (not simultaneous) is your established pivot foot.

eyeswear2allthatsholy

Um.... No.