LeBron/Kobe/MJ

I played college basketball. I am a high school basketball coach. I love the game, and know the rules.

First of all, the video is the absolute worst bit of coaching I have ever seen. That is not how to teach a layup and top of that, the first attempt of the second kid is a travel. He does a hesi hop before his two steps. Travel. The others are not.

You can't have a pivot foot when dribbling. That doesn't even make sense. Pivot is established once the ball is picked up via catch or dribble. Then you may not lift it and replace it as that is "switching your pivot foot".

i.e. if a post player pivots, fakes, and then steps through he cannot take his pivot foot off the floor and leave the second

, step thru foot down and then step again with the pivot foot. That is a travel. Unless he dribbles.

You can't have a pivot foot when dribbling.

I don't recall anyone arguing this one.

You did, when you said simultaneous step and picking up the ball establishes pivot. Not true.

He's not dribbling anymore if he picks up the ball. So if he picks up the ball and his foot is on the ground then that establishes his pivot foot.

Very simple concept, guys. Please read:

Establishing a Pivot Foot

The moment you gain possession or end your dribble, you can establish a pivot foot in the following ways.

1. If both feet are on the court, you may choose your pivot foot. Moving one foot establishes the other as the pivot foot.

2. If one foot is on the court, that foot is the pivot foot.

3. If both feet are in the air, the foot that touches the court first is the pivot foot. Should both feet land on the court simultaneously, then you may choose your pivot foot, as in point 1.

LINK

This also depends on the situation. If I pick up the dribble with the right foot down spin onto the left foot and then plant the right after the spin for a jump shot, do you consider that first foot the pivot? I spun on both feet, which is legal. This is where the average fan thinks the NBA players travel much worst than they do. Just because they can do two spin moves in two steps and you, Joe Schmo on the couch, cannot does not make it a travel.

I will say it is nice to have a basketball conversation on here...

The moment you gain possession or end your dribble, you can establish a pivot foot in the following ways.

1. If both feet are on the court, you may choose your pivot foot. Moving one foot establishes the other as the pivot foot.

3. If both feet are in the air, the foot that touches the court first is the pivot foot. Should both feet land on the court simultaneously, then you may choose your pivot foot, as in point 1.

LINK

Yes, then keep reading the article you posted:

You may raise your pivot foot to shoot or pass, provided the ball leaves your hands before the pivot foot returns to the court.

This also depends on the situation. If I pick up the dribble with the right foot down spin onto the left foot and then plant the right after the spin for a jump shot, do you consider that first foot the pivot? I spun on both feet, which is legal. This is where the average fan thinks the NBA players travel much worst than they do. Just because they can do two spin moves in two steps and you, Joe Schmo on the couch, cannot does not make it a travel.

I will say it is nice to have a basketball conversation on here...

I'm not really sure I want to go into that detail. This argument stemmed from a previous video posted about how Lebron supposedly traveled, but using the basic rules of establishing a pivot foot and taking 2 steps for a layup, it's really not a travel. That resulted in a 3-hour-long pissing match I guess haha.

I'm thinking Shark isn't understanding which type of play we're referring to.

Anyhoo.

I saw in an article that Oscar Robertson was dogging on Jordan saying basically that players from his generation were better. Then I saw that Bill Russell called Jordan the best ever.

I always thought Oscar Robertson was top 5 based on his stats, but I watched some video on him, and I'm not as impressed as I thought I'd be. Only around 10 teams in the league back then so probably easier to make a big run on titles as the Celtics did. And I saw some pretty poor technique on D and a lot of guys that weren't real athletic that probably made it easy to average a triple-double back then. Still a great player I'm sure, but the article made it sound like sour grapes.

LINK

In the example of a running layup, number 3 is used. The reason being, if you step with your left foot simultaneous to the bouncing of the ball on the ground, then by the time you have gathered the ball into your hands you are in mid-stride.

Think about this. It's called a pivot foot for a reason - the only way you can step off of it is if you are jumping to make a basketball move. It makes absolutely no sense the way you describe it, because that would be 3 legal steps (pivot foot, off foot, pivot foot again). That's why Lebron was called for a travel in the original video - because his left foot planted after his dribble, and because it was after it was his pivot foot, and he proceeded to take two more steps. Read this definition from the NBA's website of a travelling example:

"This play is an example of a traveling violation after a player has ended his dribble. A moving player may take only two legal steps after gathering the ball to shoot, pass, or come to a stop. On this play, the offensive post player gathers the ball while his left foot is on the floor and legally establishes a pivot foot with his right foot on his first step. After the player legally takes his second step with his left foot, he steps with his right pivot foot while he is still holding the ball, thus committing a traveling violation."

He had his left foot on the floor when he gathered the ball, but it wasn't until his first step that he established his pivot foot as his right foot.