LeBron/Kobe/MJ

LINK

The NBA has put into writing a rule allowing players on the move to gather the ball, after driving or catching it, and then take two steps. Throughout NBA history, the rulebook said players could take one step.

The new rule reads, in part: "A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball."

NBA vice president of referee operations Joe Borgia told TrueHoop's Henry Abbott that referees had long been instructed to ignore the rulebook

And this. Watch this kid take 2 steps every time, which is the fundamentally correct way of shooting a layup:

LINK

The NBA has put into writing a rule allowing players on the move to gather the ball, after driving or catching it, and then take two steps. Throughout NBA history, the rulebook said players could take one step.

The new rule reads, in part: "A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball."

NBA vice president of referee operations Joe Borgia told TrueHoop's Henry Abbott that referees had long been instructed to ignore the rulebook

And this. Watch this kid take 2 steps every time, which is the fundamentally correct way of shooting a layup:

Sweet Jehovah savior. Two steps including your pivot foot - not in addition to. Two steps. The video with Lebron (watch it again) had three steps. Your explanation of how pivot feet work has three steps as well.

Yeah, I told you that six hours ago

I don't think I disputed it. If I did I take it back :P

Yes, two steps - right then left - not three steps - right, left, right - like you keep claiming (except in the NBA).

I've never said 3 steps is alright. 2 steps starts with the first step after the establishment of a pivot foot. Fundamentally on a right handed layup, you pick the ball up on your left foot which establishes it as a pivot foot, then you get 2 steps. In the case that started this entire discussion, Lebron was mid-air when he picked it up, landed on his left which established his pivot foot, and took 2 steps. Questionable, yes. But according to the true fundamental aspects of the game of basketball, not a travel.

I still can't believe I'm defending Lebron.... So to make up for it, here's this:

You get 2 steps on a layup. You're taught that from the first time you dribble a basketball. Not sure where the confusion lies there.

You are right. Two steps.

When he picks up the ball, neither of his feet are on the ground, so when his first foot comes down (1 step), that establishes his pivot foot. Then he takes 2 (two steps) steps for the layup. Questionable, but not a travel by the rules.

You just proved mine and everyone else's point. He took three. You are allowed two. Not two in addition to your pivot foot. Two including your pivot foot. Two steps. Two. 2.

You are allowed two steps. One step to establish your pivot foot, and a second step with your non-pivot foot.

You keep describing a three-step process. You get two.

Look at the videos Mavric linked to see how what you are describing is a correct description of the event, but also an illegal maneuver. I've even hyperlinked it for you - straight from the NBA:

If establishing a pivot foot is a step, then a jump stop is a travel.

No it's not. It's a travel if you take a step and then jump stop, but if you leap simultaneously to gathering the ball and then jump stop, it is legal and you can then choose your pivot foot. The jump stop counts as one step, and then you have a second step of your choosing which establishes your pivot foot.

No it's not. It's a travel if you take a step and then jump stop, but if you leap simultaneously to gathering the ball and then jump stop, it is legal and you can then choose your pivot foot. The jump stop counts as one step, and then you have a second step of your choosing which establishes your pivot foot.

Actually, you can step down with one foot then jump off that one foot and jump stop. As long as both feet hit at the same time, it's not a travel, but you can't pivot on either foot.

Please find more links that support this.

There is nothing that supports it because it is not true.

Not sure if you were trying to be facetious. If so, I giggled.

I meant please provide a link to show what a step is - or is not - in a basketball rule book.