Defensive Scheme

One thing that disturbs me a bit was a previous article that talked about our players learning level '1' base defense vs being able to progress to level's 2 and 3. Some of those guys are redshirt Jr's and Sr's. You would think they would be know what they were doing by the time they were Jr's and Sr and would be at the top level.... So is that a coaching issue or is it too complicated/responsibility specific.

One thing that disturbs me a bit was a previous article that talked about our players learning level '1' base defense vs being able to progress to level's 2 and 3. Some of those guys are redshirt Jr's and Sr's. You would think they would be know what they were doing by the time they were Jr's and Sr and would be at the top level.... So is that a coaching issue or is it too complicated/responsibility specific.

Some kids are just football smart and get it right away and others just never do. They may be smart kids, but they can not pick up the Xs & Os In HS, they compete with a few good players and now in college, they are all good and several are great.

As far as defense, we have not had a great safety since Brown. Like offense, you need great QB on defense. This means high football IQ.

Some kids are just football smart and get it right away and others just never do. They may be smart kids, but they can not pick up the Xs & Os In HS, they compete with a few good players and now in college, they are all good and several are great.

As far as defense, we have not had a great safety since Brown. Like offense, you need great QB on defense. This means high football IQ.

:blink:

Bullocks, Bullocks, O'Hanlon, Asante, Gomes, Hagg?

you know somebody is going to bring up the VAtech game now...

The thing about safety play is I'm not sure any of us understands the scheme enough to really know who's fault it is. They are often the guy chasing after the play but that might only be because they are the last line of defense. How does anyone know that it wasn't someone else who blew their assignment so bad that they're not even close and the safety is trying to cover for them but can't get there.

The thing about safety play is I'm not sure any of us understands the scheme enough to really know who's fault it is. They are often the guy chasing after the play but that might only be because they are the last line of defense. How does anyone know that it wasn't someone else who blew their assignment so bad that they're not even close and the safety is trying to cover for them but can't get there.

Even if it was his fault he played pretty well the entire game I think and was really good for the whole year. People are just dumb sometimes.

Even if it was his fault he played pretty well the entire game I think and was really good for the whole year. People are just dumb sometimes.

True. I also should have added that it depends on what the call was on a specific play. Perhaps the safety was exactly where he was supposed to be.

True. I also should have added that it depends on what the call was on a specific play. Perhaps the safety was exactly where he was supposed to be.

Yeah, I wish I could remember what Bo said. Some people were saying he was actually playing it correctly the LB or whoever had the coverage screwed up. All I know for sure is Bo was pretty disappointed that people were remembering him for that one play and not his overall body of work.

Bo has to find a way to get young players on the field. Assuming everyone redshirts, that is 17 scholarships per year. That leaves 8.5 seniors on defense per year. You need at least 3 times that many recruits to field 11 good players. Sophomores and Juniors have to be major contributors for NU to compete. Beck does it on offense, Bo should do it on defense, even if it means simplifying the scheme.

That'd be pretty unfair. We miss the hell out of Matty, have ever since he left. O'Hanlon and Hagg were totally underrated during their time here, and left big voids.

O'Hanlon was worthless until the OU game. He had a great last half of his Sr. season, but to say anything else is untrue. He was a big problem for most of his career here.

That'd be pretty unfair. We miss the hell out of Matty, have ever since he left. O'Hanlon and Hagg were totally underrated during their time here, and left big voids.

O'Hanlon was worthless until the OU game. He had a great last half of his Sr. season, but to say anything else is untrue. He was a big problem for most of his career here.

That's a bit of a stretch to say that. He was pretty off and on but I wouldn't say he was a problem.

That's a bit of a stretch to say that. He was pretty off and on but I wouldn't say he was a problem.

By problem I meant slow and couldn't tackle. Which is what we are used to all of last year. The blown coverage in the VT game was pretty much par for the course for him until the OU game. But he shoudln't have had a chance to blow an easy coverage if Bo had the balls to go for it on 4th and 1 at the VT 40 when Helu was averaging 6 ypc. Coaching lost that game just as much as Matt's boneheaded fall for a play fake in cover 2 in that situation.

Huh. I didn't realize all those guys were safeties. I'll give you the Bullocks brothers as borderline great. The other safeties? Not so much. Gomes probably could have been a good safety, not sure about Hagg. Defining those guys as safeties is a bit of a stretch just for the sake of proving your point. The Bullocks brothers were part of a Pelini D that attacked and was the aggressor, which forced a lot of bad decisions from the opposing QBs. We've gotten away from that big time. Not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, as 2003's D had a couple embarrassing games as well. But not nearly as bad as what we've seen that past few years.