My Take on a Solid Weekend

EZ-E

I set the dvr to record the replay tonight. I'll be able to give my better and more honest assessment after watching that.

I say it's pretty irrelevant as a game, but I was also sitting in row 10 in the south, and spending more time paying attention to my kids, that I couldnt really pay attention to individual performances and details required to take anything constructive from a nationally televised spring game.

QMany - you are a CB guy at heart!!! How was Fiddlin' Saturday night?! Need to do an Omaha one of these then we can get a HuskerBoard bar hop going on the 100 block!!!! Pardon my manners as well, I dont remember thanking you for the beers.

Let's just say, if it was a fight, CB bars won by TKO. I lost my debit card and dignity, and it was a very rough drive back home Sunday evening.

QMany - you are a CB guy at heart!!! How was Fiddlin' Saturday night?! Need to do an Omaha one of these then we can get a HuskerBoard bar hop going on the 100 block!!!! Pardon my manners as well, I dont remember thanking you for the beers.

Let's just say, if it was a fight, CB bars won by TKO. I lost my debit card and dignity, and it was a very rough drive back home Sunday evening.

That sounds about like New Years Eve for me down there!!! Can't count how many times I've needed a ride back to my Jeep in the morning.

Hey all,

So to give those an update that care, 10 AM on Friday, girl had a doctors appointment. She has been doing a ton better, but the doctor said with her current levels of anxiety leaving town for a weekend without a proper to the T eating schedule would not be the best idea. Was really disappointed and didn't even wanna go up. But she didn't let me stay so I got to Lincoln around 245.

I stopped into Jake's for a few whiskey drinks and it was there that I ran into a man named Aaron Davis. Aaron played on the 94 team and now owns a very successful consulting firm and is a motivational speaker. Aaron and I spoke for right around 2 hours.

What sparked our conversation was someone complaining about TMart. I just kinda casually leaned over and said there wasn't anything wrong with our QB. We then both agreed if he cuts the turnovers down, he will be in the Heisman talk.

Aaron has played golf multiple times with Coach Pelini and he says that the former players like him a lot. What they are most impressed with is Bo personally reaching out to them and inviting them to practice. With the family atmosphere Bo has created, there isn't anyone who isn't welcome. The former guys are very impressed with how Bo conducts his practices. Aaron said it isn't quite like the 90s, but he said the reason for that is we don't have unlimited scholarships anymore. He is impressed with the walk-on program once again and said this has helped take some of those disadvantages away. What Bo currently doesn't like about NU and really the only thing is how he is constantly in the fishbowl. He understands it, but that doesn't make him like it any more.

He cringes when you talk about Steve Pederson. He got so visibly upset he wouldn't elaborate very far. I was able to take a few things away however. He said even Coach Osborne wasn't welcome back during that time. There was an instance that he spoke somewhere and Pederson was there. Steve said some things to him that Aaron wouldn't tell me. He was so mad that he cancelled his season tickets. This was one year before he was fired. Coach Osborne called him on the phone later that week and apologized to him. All Coach Osborne said after that was "these things tend to work themselves out." Osborne knew what was going on.

HuskerBoard guys!!!!!!!!!!

I seriously would have stayed at Brewskys all night long and talked Husker football with you guys. Really enjoyed every single one of you.

TruetotheRed - great to hear about your kid being cancer free. Really hope it stays that way and I don't want you to be afraid to share it with the board.

Bye bye Big 12 - I tried not to laugh too hard at Paul ripping on you. Even though it was funny.

HuskerAddict - your username says it all. You are one of the dudes a lot like me that seems to have the answer for every trivia question they ask.

GM_Tood - funny dude. Thank you for listening to my tipsy rambling that I hope made sense.

Eric the Red - Coach JP. Funny ass stories about your gold chain and turtle necks. I believe we had a conversation about what our favorite part of the female anatomy is.

Paul Crewe - what is there today about you???? I remember one of our first phone conversations in which you stated we are like long lost cousins, and it turns out we legitamently could be!!!!!!!

Knapplc - you have given me very solid advice throughout the past few weeks. I can't say enough good things about you or Crewecfor reaching out to me.

Accountability - I wish you could have cut it back a little bit Moreland had a few more!! I understood with the wife and kids why you didn't though!!!!

HotGrillOnGrillAction - your presence was felt, but just like the board, you hardly through your two cents in!!!! Come on dude!!! :)

LandLord - I promise, I'll have the rent next time I see you. :)

AK-47 - more posting. Ryan Dempster :)

I seriously would have sat and drank with you guys all day long and talked football.

The Game

A few take always

1) "Swimming in it" perfectly discribes Tommy Armstrong. He's got a long ways to go. He's got a ton of potential, but a lot of work to do. Johnny Stanton I do believe will give him all he can handle.

2) WR is our best position on either side of the ball

3) We have a lot of bodies on the DL. Not quality ones, but a lot of guys. Was really hoping to see VV and a few others.

4) We are very athletic at LB. CL I think might actually be just as developed physically as Will Compton was.

5) Worried about OT

6) We are monstrous at guard.

7) JACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really wish we could go tailgating every weekend!!!!!

Is it September yet???????

I have seen you a few times mention how you thought Tommy has a long way to go. What specifically in the game did not you like about his performance and what do you think he needs to improve on before you think he can take over the reigns as the #1 guy?

Obama.

To me it's not that Armstrong is lacking-though he is very raw as most 1st and 2nd year players are-but rather from watching film, Stanton just seems to be a better fit to what we are doing offensively. Now, how that translates into his development once he gets here, I dont know. But it is my opinion based on what I've been able to see from each.

I have seen you a few times mention how you thought Tommy has a long way to go. What specifically in the game did not you like about his performance and what do you think he needs to improve on before you think he can take over the reigns as the #1 guy?

If I may, I think he has a long way to go as well, as I stated in my previous post. His mechanics alone, isn't what is going to land him the starting spot. He needs hit the playbook harder. He also needs to learn how to read the defense better. He didn't check or make the correct adjustments on a few plays. These things may not be a big deal to some, but these are huge when it comes to game time. There is more to the game, than good mechanics. His two fumbles also is a big indicator that he has some things to improve.

RKIII managed his offence very well, and had complete control over it. This is where Armstrong needs to be, if he wants the starting spot. These kinds of things take some time to adapt though. This is why no one has even considered Martinez losing his spot this year.

If I may, I think he has a long way to go as well, as I stated in my previous post. His mechanics alone, isn't what is going to land him the starting spot. He needs hit the playbook harder. He also needs to learn how to read the defense better. He didn't check or make the correct adjustments on a few plays. These things may not be a big deal to some, but these are huge when it comes to game time. There is more to the game, than good mechanics. His two fumbles also is a big indicator that he has some things to improve.

RKIII managed his offence very well, and had complete control over it. This is where Armstrong needs to be, if he wants the starting spot. These kinds of things take some time to adapt though. This is why no one has even considered Martinez losing his spot this year.

Yeah, no doubt he made a few improper reads. I can think of 4 times where he ran the zone read and twice he made the perfect read, once made the completely wrong read, and the other the defense just had it sniffed out and either decision he made would have been stuffed. The option I thought he ran extremely well and have no complaints there.

Passing wise he went 5-7. The good points were the throw to Moore. No one on the roster can make that throw. I'm a big Taylor fan, but if he makes that throw, it gets picked by the safety over the top and Kellogg doesn't have the down field arm strength to beat the safety, either. So that was great. His two incompletions were: 1. a walk-on WR against a starting CB where the CB just cutoff the route and made a better play and 2. where one of the TEs ran the wrong route (but fundamentally Tommy bailed on that play in the pocket, too).

And then he leadership, poise, intanglibles, etc. have been noted as his most impressive attribute amongst coaches, teammates, and the like.

Either way, my personal take away was that he made enough good plays that with another full year and a half of development, I think he will be really good and I was just curious as to why others did not see it that way. I'm not calling you/EZ-E or anyone else wrong for that view, but just trying to see the other perspective I guess

Yeah, no doubt he made a few improper reads. I can think of 4 times where he ran the zone read and twice he made the perfect read, once made the completely wrong read, and the other the defense just had it sniffed out and either decision he made would have been stuffed. The option I thought he ran extremely well and have no complaints there.

Passing wise he went 5-7. The good points were the throw to Moore. No one on the roster can make that throw. I'm a big Taylor fan, but if he makes that throw, it gets picked by the safety over the top and Kellogg doesn't have the down field arm strength to beat the safety, either. So that was great. His two incompletions were: 1. a walk-on WR against a starting CB where the CB just cutoff the route and made a better play and 2. where one of the TEs ran the wrong route (but fundamentally Tommy bailed on that play in the pocket, too).

And then he leadership, poise, intanglibles, etc. have been noted as his most impressive attribute amongst coaches, teammates, and the like.

Either way, my personal take away was that he made enough good plays that with another full year and a half of development, I think he will be really good and I was just curious as to why others did not see it that way. I'm not calling you/EZ-E or anyone else wrong for that view, but just trying to see the other perspective I guess

Not ignoring you, on my phone and don't have the patience to type it out from here.

He said even Coach Osborne wasn't welcome back during that time.

Inconceivable.

He said there were things that went beyond wrong and were absolutely "sickening" during that era. In my conclusion, Steve Pederson personally set us back so much more than what made the papers. I've never had more distaste for him when I heard that. It went way beyond that he made a bad hire. Aaron said it was like he tried to wipe the blackboard completely clean so big mighty Steve could build his own program.

The only thing I would complain about the option, is him not getting the LB to bite more. There were a couple where the LB did bite, but there was one I remember, he gave the ball off to early. Cross only got +2 on that carry. He needs tweaking here and there, but its just the lack of knowledge he has on the defensive reads and the checking IMO. Ball security is a must as well. I also don't think Armstrong utilized his TE's and WR's to his best either. He did key onto a couple players on his reads, but it was NOTHING like Ryker Fyfe. There was a play where Armstrong did a 5 yard pass to his right, when there was a player up top (Cross I believe it was) who was completely open who would have gone 10+. I know I am keying on little things, that even Martinez would do, but these are things that the coaches look at as well. He just needs a lot of work on a few departments.

The best pass Armstrong had though, that showed the talent of his arm and accuracy, was the pass to Brandon Reilly by the sideline while he was in double coverage.

Stanton is everything Nebraska has been looking for. Some say he has a better arm than Armstrong, but I think its too close to call, for me. I do believe Stanton is faster, and more elusive.

Its going to be a battle for the starting bid next year.