The 80s: The Decade That Made Us

The music alone would be a reason to never watch it. Worst decade for music since the advent of Rock n'Roll

You are either 25 years old and grew up on rap music and autotuners or 60 and love the Greatful Dead and Jefferson Airplane. Every era has good music and bad music. I happened to live right through the 80's as my formative years. I was fourteen in 1980. Some of the great bands of the 80's would be U2, REM, The Cure, The Replacements, Depech Mode, INXS plus some very good hair bands Motley Crue, G and R, Tesla.

I love music from many eras. I always tell my kids there is no such thing as old music only good and bad music.

Everyone has there own likes in music also. I don't like rap music. I don't understand it. I am not a poor, angry kid from the inner city. Why should I understand it.

That was my first impression before I opened this thread. About it being so bad music wise, It should have been my favorite since I started UNL in 1980, but the bad music was so overplayed that you sometimes forget the occaisional good music.

But why did rap survive longer than Disco?

The music alone would be a reason to never watch it. Worst decade for music since the advent of Rock n'Roll

You are either 25 years old and grew up on rap music and autotuners or 60 and love the Greatful Dead and Jefferson Airplane. Every era has good music and bad music. I happened to live right through the 80's as my formative years. I was fourteen in 1980. Some of the great bands of the 80's would be U2, REM, The Cure, The Replacements, Depech Mode, INXS plus some very good hair bands Motley Crue, G and R, Tesla.

I love music from many eras. I always tell my kids there is no such thing as old music only good and bad music.

Everyone has there own likes in music also. I don't like rap music. I don't understand it. I am not a poor, angry kid from the inner city. Why should I understand it.

That was my first impression before I opened this thread. About it being so bad music wise, It should have been my favorite since I started UNL in 1980, but the bad music was so overplayed that you sometimes forget the occaisional good music.

I think rap music has survived because it has evolved and changed so much over the years. Trust me I taught school for 20 years and little saburban white kids love rap music. Listen to all the dirty words in it. chuckleshuffle

Again there is a lot of good and crappy music produced in every decade. People remember Come on Eileen and Do you really want to hurt me from the 80's. What about Mombo # 5 and The Macarana from the 90's or Who Let the Dogs Out or that Stupid Song from that Korean guy right now. Every era has bad music that people remember. There is also a lot of good stuff too.

Just because something is over played doesn't mean it's bad music.

Kind of an interesting show. I watched 2-3 hours of it last night. It's strange how, when you look back now, it seems quite a bit different than it did actually living through that period. I think once you get 20-30 years down the road, that is when you begin to see the effects of certain things in the bigger picture. I'm not so sure they are doing much more than acknowledging how some of these things, that seemed rather insignificant then, were instrumental in how things evolved since. I would agree with tschu that every time period has things that happen, so the 80's are not any different than any other era in that regard. But, I don't think the importance or significance of these events are artificial creations. It's just that we can't recognize how they were important or significant until we get a chance to see what impact they have had. Anyway, it was pretty interesting and probably worth your time to watch if you get the chance. What I did not like were all the freakin commercials. My god, I think there was 6 minutes of commercials for every 5 minutes of show.

No just because it is overplayed doesn't make it bad. Def Leps "Pour Some Sugar on Me" was and still is way overplayed. It makes me want to vomit when I hear it. It is not a terrible song, not their best by any means, but not terrible. I just can't listen to it anymore. More recently that "Call Me Maybe" tune by whoever is catchy and not too bad for a pop song, but way overplayed.

The decade known as the 80's was the beginning of the "Age of Technology" this is still going on. It was the decade of excess and decadence. Look at all the hair bands ands Gordan Gekko. Remember "Greed is Good". Cocaine for everyone, Miami Vice and pastel shirts. Americans felt good about themselves again because Reagen said we could. Thats what the 80's was for me.

Kind of an interesting show. I watched 2-3 hours of it last night. It's strange how, when you look back now, it seems quite a bit different than it did actually living through that period. I think once you get 20-30 years down the road, that is when you begin to see the effects of certain things in the bigger picture. I'm not so sure they are doing much more than acknowledging how some of these things, that seemed rather insignificant then, were instrumental in how things evolved since. I would agree with tschu that every time period has things that happen, so the 80's are not any different than any other era in that regard. But, I don't think the importance or significance of these events are artificial creations. It's just that we can't recognize how they were important or significant until we get a chance to see what impact they have had. Anyway, it was pretty interesting and probably worth your time to watch if you get the chance. What I did not like were all the freakin commercials. My god, I think there was 6 minutes of commercials for every 5 minutes of show.

Now, that is something interesting now that you say that. When cable TV came out (in the 80s) really became wide spread, I remember it being promoted as since it was subscription based, there would be no (or fewer) commercials.

Kind of funny how that has worked out.

• Fire 1

Yeah, but "Stairway To Heaven" came out in the '70s

I caught some of it last night and am going to watch the rest when it re-airs. I love American pop-culture history so this is right in my wheelhouse, plus it's more historically in-depth than VH1's "I Love The..." series so that's a big plus. I agree that sometimes it pushes the angle of how much influence the 80s has on us today too hard, but it is quite interesting to think of the technological advances like the Walkman, cell phone, etc. leading into our devices today.

Yeah, but "Stairway To Heaven" came out in the '70s

And that is why the 70's trumps all when it comes to Rock-N-Roll.

Just the other day my dad was talking about buying his first VCR. . . for $400. That was a nice little chunk of change back then too.

you will use any excuse to brag about having a dad. and now you can not resist to mention his purchasing power even back in the '80s. unbelievable.

Taped the episodes on Saturday and have been watching them. Actually not a bad show. Shows a lot of what the 80s was about. It really shows RR in a pretty good light. He was a great president, not because all of his policies were great, but because of the way he made Americans feel about themselves again.