JUCO's and foreign players

High school? JUCO? Foreign? I don't care *where* Miles gets the talent. I'm just glad to see him bringing it to Lincoln.

Agreed. I just brought this up because of the statement he made at the beginning of his hire. The coaches know way more about what they need to help them win so I couldn't care less where the players come from as long as the produce on the court.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't say that I don't care at all where the talent comes from. I'd be a bit skeptical if he signed all JUCOs. But that's not the case. Miles seems to be signing a good mix of high school/JUCO. I'm just pleased that Miles is a LOT better recruiter than any coach we've had in the past that I can remember.

Do you think there is that much difference in bringing in all JUCO's and bringing in all one-and-done's like Kentucky? I know that is not what we would do either way, just pondering the idea.

I dunno. But if it works for Kentucky it can't be a bad thing for us.

/ granted, Kentucky has a waaaay different basketball situation than NU. lol

Danny Nee was also a very good recruiter, especially finding talented less highly touted players. He just doesn't get as much credit since that was before the social media and recruiting services/TV era.

High school? JUCO? Foreign? I don't care *where* Miles gets the talent. I'm just glad to see him bringing it to Lincoln.

Agreed. I just brought this up because of the statement he made at the beginning of his hire. The coaches know way more about what they need to help them win so I couldn't care less where the players come from as long as the produce on the court.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't say that I don't care at all where the talent comes from. I'd be a bit skeptical if he signed all JUCOs. But that's not the case. Miles seems to be signing a good mix of high school/JUCO. I'm just pleased that Miles is a LOT better recruiter than any coach we've had in the past that I can remember.

Nee did recruit Dapries Owens who was highly touted. Jaron Boone while he had some ties to Nebraska was a Utah kid that was highly recruited. Lue was from Kansas and was not highly recruited. Beau Reed and Lewis Jeter were Ohio players and fine players. I don't think they had a lot of recruiting pressure. Chandler was a Juco. Friend(sp?), Hamilton etc were 3 star type players.

Nee&staff had some talent and knew talent IMO. I think Jimmie Williams played a big part in that recruiting and was the ace recruiter. Nee certainly worked hard to the very letter of the rules. (Like when he recruited Richardson?. They weren't allowed on campus so they were right across the street from campus boundaries, and when the bell went ding they were there to get his LOI. That was an ol' Jack Pierce trick.)

Nee did recruit Dapries Owens who was highly touted. Jaron Boone while he had some ties to Nebraska was a Utah kid that was highly recruited. Lue was from Kansas and was not highly recruited. Beau Reed and Lewis Jeter were Ohio players and fine players. I don't think they had a lot of recruiting pressure. Chandler was a Juco. Friend(sp?), Hamilton etc were 3 star type players.

Nee&staff had some talent and knew talent IMO. I think Jimmie Williams played a big part in that recruiting and was the ace recruiter. Nee certainly worked hard to the very letter of the rules. (Like when he recruited Richardson?. They weren't allowed on campus so they were right across the street from campus boundaries, and when the bell went ding they were there to get his LOI. That was an ol' Jack Pierce trick.)

Dapries Owens..........wow...........what a blast from the past! He had a body structured like Ohio St's Sullinger.

Good recap of Nee's efforts. Don't forget Mikki Moore from North or South Carolina.

Dapries Owens..........wow...........what a blast from the past! He had a body structured like Ohio St's Sullinger.

Good recap of Nee's efforts. Don't forget Mikki Moore from North or South Carolina.

Ooooh, really good one. He's definitely deserves mention. I am sure there are others that should be mentioned but that's definitely one that fits Huskball's point.

Lue was highly recruited, but because of his grades schools backed off. Once he became eligible, everyone was after him again. The only reason he came to Nebraska was because we never gave on him. In fact, he was probably one of the highest recruited player to play for the Huskers.

Lue was highly recruited, but because of his grades schools backed off. Once he became eligible, everyone was after him again. The only reason he came to Nebraska was because we never gave on him. In fact, he was probably one of the highest recruited player to play for the Huskers.

That is true. I won't go as far as your going though. Lue was recruited by Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Memphis and Oklahoma to start so your right that's a pretty decent offer list, but because of his ACT schools backed off when he fell into the partial qualifier mode. He picked Nebraska over Memphis, because as you say Nebraska stuck with him. I have to disagree on the highest recruited player thought. My vote would be Woolridge.

Nee mostly benefitted from Nebraska as an athletic department being ahead in everyone else in strength and conditioning. Everyone talks about this fact with football, but it spilled over into other sports as well. It matched well with Nee's up and down style. Combine that with great shooters like the Stricklands, Piatkowskis, and Boones and it led to a decent amount of success for Nee.

So with one scholarship remaining (for the sake of discussion say there are no current players transferring), which one do you take:

Sai T - G/F - With Georgia filled up, we have to be in his Top 3

Mahlon Jones - PG/G

Mikael Herbert - PF/C - Michigan is showing some interest, does that influence anyone's opinion?

So with one scholarship remaining (for the sake of discussion say there are no current players transferring), which one do you take:

Sai T - G/F - With Georgia filled up, we have to be in his Top 3

Mahlon Jones - PG/G

Mikael Herbert - PF/C - Michigan is showing some interest, does that influence anyone's opinion?

In the order you listed.......

That's a tough call. I think we need size but Sai is more ready to play now then Herbert at this time, but he is only 6-7. I like Herbert's athleticism&length and you get 4 years. Jones would be a bigger priority if we are losing one the of incoming freshmen...tough call.

I am going to go with Herbert,Sai,Jones in that order BUT would be thrilled if any of them picked Nebraska.

Ooooh, really good one. He's definitely deserves mention. I am sure there are others that should be mentioned but that's definitely one that fits Huskball's point.

I dont have one problem with getting guys who can put the ball in the basket. Add depth and skill.. worry about size later.

Flat water - Don't forget Steffon Bradford and Bernard Garner - both of whom had a Juco coach compare them to a young Charles Barkley. Those might have been collier though. Always take recruiting with a grain of salt - don't get excited until you see them in a Husker jersey.

Minnesota - great point. We need an influx of talent. Also, size.