New Divisions: ESPN We are in the West of course.

Flood

According to Drive 1010, Iowa has just two 9-win seasons under Ferentz, "despite the love he gets."

Leaving out facts does not present a true picture of Iowa under Ferentz. You are correct when you say Iowa has had two 9-win seasons under Ferentz. But don't stop there! The Hawks also have two 10-win seasons, two 11-win seasons, 10 bowl game appearances, six bowl game wins (including the Orange Bowl) under Ferentz. Next time, give your readers the true picture.

According to Drive 1010, Iowa has just two 9-win seasons under Ferentz, "despite the love he gets."

Leaving out facts does not present a true picture of Iowa under Ferentz. You are correct when you say Iowa has had two 9-win seasons under Ferentz. But don't stop there! The Hawks also have two 10-win seasons, two 11-win seasons, 10 bowl game appearances, six bowl game wins (including the Orange Bowl) under Ferentz. Next time, give your readers the true picture.

Did you create an account and make this post for the simple sake of defending Iowa and Ferentz?

It's pretty obvious that the Kirk Ferentz era at Iowa has more than run its course.

Hello Husker Nation…Buckeye Mike first post

I came over to get you guys take on the Divisions because I respect Nebraska as a great program with a very knowledgeable fanbase. I think it’s pretty good if they would just put the fighting Dantonios in the West. That would still be a good geographical split, with almost perfect competitive balance. Wisconsin has been very good for what 10-15 years now. Iowa has been good in the past and should be again (not sure if maybe time for a change)? NW should be good this year and they have a good coach. Lots of potential in the other programs.

2) I think you guys are selling your program short however. I see Nebraska as an elite program no doubt. Like a lot of other Buckeyes I thought bringing the Huskers into the Big was a huge get for our conference. Unlike a lot of other Buckeyes I don’t see tOSU as a dominant team in our conference or even our division. I don’t thing the Big has a dominant team right now. We have four historical programs but none of them is at their very best right now. I personally would like to see all four PSU, TSUN, Huskers, and tOSU be as good as they can be. I think that is good for our conference. I also want all of our teams to be at their best for the same reason. If my Buckeyes are fortunate enough to win our Division this year, we still would face probably a legit top ten Husker team, and I will not predict a win there. Would be a great game probably.

3) While I’m rambling on here I will give my take on expansion. This may surprise you but this Buckeye would love to see the Oklahoma Sooners come into the Big. Man that would be a great get just like you guys. Not only would it add another great program, but it would bring back one of the great rivalries, and that is good for college football fans everywhere. I would be ok with the Cowboys as the other, or Kansas. A lot of people say the Sooners would never do this even if so inclined, because they don’t want to split the RRR with Texas. But who knows, if we could persuade Oklahoma, then maybe the Horns would join. What a conference! I know not going to happen, but I can dream right.

I have to run and do some chores but will stop back and check you guys out on another day. Hope everyone has a good weekend…….

Yes, but Iowa is 19-19 in the past 3 seasons, which includes an ugly 4-8 in 2012. If you look at Ferentz's career as a whole, yes he has been successful, no doubt. But right now there is heat under his seat for him to win, and win NOW. He just signed that monster contract which runs through 2020. I believe it's about $4M per year... (firing him would be a huge disaster due to a clause stating he is due 75% of his salary per year) So I believe the pressure is on him to win in 2013. Iowa has to take advantage of the weaker schools in the division - Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern.

Good post. I am not defending Ferentz as much as I am trying to set the record straight. It annoys me when guys twist facts or leave facts out just to back up their post. All I ask is for folks to tell the entire story and then make their conclusions.

You are right, Iowa fans are not happy about the last three seasons. No question Ferentz' seat is heating up. They do need to take care of business with the weaker schools in the division, but they also have to return to when Iowa was a tough out. They owned Penn State for years. They need to be back to fight it out with the big boys, like the Huskers. They will be there, but Ferentz has to make big strides back starting this year.

Good post. I am not defending Ferentz as much as I am trying to set the record straight. It annoys me when guys twist facts or leave facts out just to back up their post. All I ask is for folks to tell the entire story and then make their conclusions.

You are right, Iowa fans are not happy about the last three seasons. No question Ferentz' seat is heating up. They do need to take care of business with the weaker schools in the division, but they also have to return to when Iowa was a tough out. They owned Penn State for years. They need to be back to fight it out with the big boys, like the Huskers. They will be there, but Ferentz has to make big strides back starting this year.

I agree that Iowa needs to return to being a Big Ten power. That is when they are at their best, and you noted that with their success in your post I quoted. One reason why I believe they have floundered is because the offense has failed to put up points. Last year, against Big Six schools Iowa scored over 20 points in just 3 games. When you play in the Big Ten, that won't cut it. The defense has been better, but you can't expect to win 9-6, 6-3, 3-0 football games. Ferentz has got to find a way to get his players to score and gain some momentum so when they play the tougher B10 schools - Wisconsin, Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. - they can put up a fight. Until they can do that, I think they will struggle to win more than 7-8 games per season.

but you can't expect to win 9-6, 6-3, 3-0 football games.

ndamukong-suh-300x223.jpg

• Fire 2

I came over to get you guys take on the Divisions because I respect Nebraska as a great program with a very knowledgeable fanbase. I think it’s pretty good if they would just put the fighting Dantonios in the West. That would still be a good geographical split, with almost perfect competitive balance. Wisconsin has been very good for what 10-15 years now. Iowa has been good in the past and should be again (not sure if maybe time for a change)? NW should be good this year and they have a good coach. Lots of potential in the other programs.

2) I think you guys are selling your program short however. I see Nebraska as an elite program no doubt. Like a lot of other Buckeyes I thought bringing the Huskers into the Big was a huge get for our conference. Unlike a lot of other Buckeyes I don’t see tOSU as a dominant team in our conference or even our division. I don’t thing the Big has a dominant team right now. We have four historical programs but none of them is at their very best right now. I personally would like to see all four PSU, TSUN, Huskers, and tOSU be as good as they can be. I think that is good for our conference. I also want all of our teams to be at their best for the same reason. If my Buckeyes are fortunate enough to win our Division this year, we still would face probably a legit top ten Husker team, and I will not predict a win there. Would be a great game probably.

3) While I’m rambling on here I will give my take on expansion. This may surprise you but this Buckeye would love to see the Oklahoma Sooners come into the Big. Man that would be a great get just like you guys. Not only would it add another great program, but it would bring back one of the great rivalries, and that is good for college football fans everywhere. I would be ok with the Cowboys as the other, or Kansas. A lot of people say the Sooners would never do this even if so inclined, because they don’t want to split the RRR with Texas. But who knows, if we could persuade Oklahoma, then maybe the Horns would join. What a conference! I know not going to happen, but I can dream right.

I have to run and do some chores but will stop back and check you guys out on another day. Hope everyone has a good weekend…….

533596_304100776372925_1970513617_n.jpg

• Fire 1

I think they moved too quick with the addition of Rutgers and Maryland. If they'd have waited it out for another year or so, they could have lured a couple better schools into the conference.

[qoute]2) I think you guys are selling your program short however. I see Nebraska as an elite program no doubt. Like a lot of other Buckeyes I thought bringing the Huskers into the Big was a huge get for our conference. Unlike a lot of other Buckeyes I don’t see tOSU as a dominant team in our conference or even our division. I don’t thing the Big has a dominant team right now. We have four historical programs but none of them is at their very best right now. I personally would like to see all four PSU, TSUN, Huskers, and tOSU be as good as they can be. I think that is good for our conference. I also want all of our teams to be at their best for the same reason. If my Buckeyes are fortunate enough to win our Division this year, we still would face probably a legit top ten Husker team, and I will not predict a win there. Would be a great game probably.

We are our own worst crictics, like I'm sure you are in regards to your own team. I think the conference will start regaining it's respect when Ohio St, Mich, Neb, and either Mich St/PSU/whoever steps up and becomes a team that people are legitimately afraid to play. Until we start scaring the crap out of teams in the SEC, Big XII, PAC XII, then there's work to do...

The Big XII could have been saved if it weren't for the money grabbing douchbags that are the "Whorns". If they could have got everyone to agree, they could have added TCU and another team to give them 14 teams, and had a division made up entirely of Texas teams for example...

so -- UW alumnus and Badger fan here. Hello people.

We've had some pretty memorable moments together already and starting in 2014 we'll be butting heads every year. I'm glad the B1G did it in the East/West fashion because it preserves every main rivalry except Indiana/Purdue... and i'm pretty sure they'll play each other annually.

I wish you guys would go back to your old bread and butter -- power football. Even if that meant you'd beat the Badgers. Because a strong Nebraska means a stronger Big Ten.

The realignment means that we (UW) get to play all of our traditional rivals every year -- Minniehaha, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois. I look forward to the annual Wisc/Neb/Iowa battle for the West crown.

Take care, friends.

Tom

This is going to be a disaster and it's stupid to keep realigning divisions. Sure we now have less competition in the west but will that prepare us for the east champion? history says no.

The East/West thing makes sense. Wisconsin has no national championships but we have been a major player for most of the past 20 years. If we'd had Martinez, we'd have beaten Stanford...

Iowa is also strong. In today's terms, they are the equal of Penn State. Without the scandal.

Minnesota has 6 national championships, though the program is in a dormant phase. But who knows... maybe they can become decent.

Illinois has Red Grange, one of the greatest football players of all time at any level. They also won a couple of NCs and though not consistently good, now and then they recruit their state well and have the ability to win 10 games.

Purdue... there is sporadic history there. they will struggle in the West most years.

Northwestern -- they finally won a bowl game and have been competitive over most of the last 10-15 years. they will never beat the huskers when the huskers are good, but they will compete with you most other years.

I would still consider us a power football team.

I think so too. I mean, are we really that bad that a team that should've been playing for the National title had to play 4 quarters to beat us? Sure we have bad games, and we have great games too. But we're not exactly Iowa St or Kansas as some claim us to be.