Dictionary of Nebraska English

This isn't a phrase or word usage thing but it is definitely Nebraskan. In what other state can you istantly tell what county a person resides in based on the license plate number? None that I know of. example; I seen that feller headin down to the crick has 10 county plates. Translation- That gentleman from platte county is going to the creek.

Kansas has a sticker with a two letter abr. of the county - WY for Wyandotte, JO for Johnson etc. (Trivia: It used to be that vanity plates were issued by county so there could be multiple plates: The most popular plate? Jayhawks - no. Hawks - no. Wildcats - no. Cats - no. The correct answer is: Huskers.)

Tekamah or Beatrice

Their is a ton of Husker plates here in Olathe, Kansas.

There is one of everything in Nebraska. The interstate. The university. The river.

Along the lines of 'warsh' and whatever the appeal of adding extra R's to words

Tortino's - The frozen pizza normal people call Totino's

Freshman year,,Abel 6...During the Iran Hostage crisis

7 or 8 guys..all Engineering majors including my Room-mate originally from Norfolk.

Quess how they pronounced their hometown.

I also have a Husker plate with my hometown county's plate # (37) out here in Arizona.

I seen: The incorrect usage of the phrase "I saw" or "I have seen". Examples: I seen that movie before. I seen him an hour ago.

That's not Nebraskan/Midwesterny, that's just being an idiot.

Then you need to get out, because anyone who is from a county lower than 2 say it constantly. And it drives me nuts.

One of my favourite old girlfriends from 52 county still says "seen"..But I don't remember anyone from 37 county using that term.

Garys. A collective noun referring to a family. The patriarch 's (or matriarch's) first

name is used to identify the family members. . Garys are coming for Thanksgiving. That means Gary and his wife and children and spouses and grandchildren and spouses will be in attendance. Rogers would be a different group of relatives.

All of the things expressed in this topic are really midwesternisms. I grew up in Nebraska and Iowa and dinner is what a farm family would eat at noon meal. If they were having lunch it would imply something very light like a sandwich. Dinner was just like eating supper except at noon. Pop is very midwestern. East and west coast it is soda. Go to the deep south and it is a "Coke" all pop/soda is called coke.

The best thing about Nebraska is the how town names are pronounced

Juanita is Juneietta

Waunita is spelled like this

Madrid is Maadrid

Prague is Preg

Keya Paha is Kipaha

pop is not only Nebraskan, more of a region thing and when we say "the river" we mean the Nemaha river! oh and "shar" for shower.

Pop is actually one that I take offense to. I get teased by my nieces all the time that grew up on the East coast because they think "soda" is more correct. In reality, this all started with the term "Soda Pop". So, we chose to shorten it to "pop" and they decided to use "soda". Why is one more correct than the other one?

One that absolutely drives me crazy because my wife is from that area so I hear it all the time is "Norfork" for referring to a certain town in the north east part of the state. People...it is spelled "NORFOLK". There is not a second "R" in the word.

I was raised by two English teachers and mispronunciations or misuse of words drive me crazy.

Problem is, for some reason I still suck at spelling and punctuation.

• Fire 1

pop is not only Nebraskan, more of a region thing and when we say "the river" we mean the Nemaha river! oh and "shar" for shower.

One that absolutely drives me crazy because my wife is from that area so I hear it all the time is "Norfork" for referring to a certain town in the north east part of the state. People...it is spelled "NORFOLK". There is not a second "R" in the word.

I'm glad I grew up in omaha, so my pronunciation matches the rest of America. Some nebraskans don't realize they're the only ones on this universe that pronounces Norfolk as "norfork". It's kinda funny actually