Will Rex be a steal?

I hope I'm wrong but i say no unless he is in a system where he fits. I think about Danny Woodhead and Toby Gerhart. Woodhead wasn't a steal until he ended up in NE. Gerhart has yet to make an impact in MN.

Hard to make an impact when AP just won't quit.

T_O_B

Rex is a solid "get" which ever round it is. If he goes after round 5 or later, IMO, it will be a steal. He can block, catch, wildcat and has a knack to always get yrds after contact. Kid doesn't go down at first contact. Not to mention you are getting a kid with great character.

I also wonder if it will help him in that he has played in a zone read offense with a dual threat QB. Seems the whole zone read is becoming the next big thing with some teams in the NFL. Might make home more attractive to some teams.

I hope I'm wrong but i say no unless he is in a system where he fits. I think about Danny Woodhead and Toby Gerhart. Woodhead wasn't a steal until he ended up in NE. Gerhart has yet to make an impact in MN.

It's always funny that white RB and WR are always compared to white RB and WR. Rex has nothing in common with these to players except Woodhead is also from Nebraska. His running style reminds me a little bit of a more powerful Tiki Barber. The aforementioned Curtis Martin is all-around also a more valid comparison.

It's always funny that white RB and WR are always compared to white RB and WR. Rex has nothing in common with these to players except Woodhead is also from Nebraska. His running style reminds me a little bit of a more powerful Tiki Barber. The aforementioned Curtis Martin is all-around also a more valid comparison.

It had not dawned on me about race at the time. I had actually thought about Reggie Bush in New Orleans after I had already posted it. My point wasn't trying to compare their running abilities or anything like that. The point I was trying to make is that if he goes to a program that does not fit him as a RB, he will not be a steal. Woodhead was considered a steal once he got into New Englands style of play. No one thought of him when he was with the Jets. Gerhart clearly is not in the right situation in Minnesota. That was the one and only correlation I was making.

I watched an NFL.com episode where they ranked the top 20 RB's in the draft and they had a guy from Utah State and 2 guys from non-BCS level... and no Rex.

I wager that after say 3-4 years, were you to look at how well the RB's from this class contribute at the NFL level... that Rex would be in the top 20 and likely the top 10.

So... if he goes as low as some predict... I think he will be a steal.

I watched an NFL.com episode where they ranked the top 20 RB's in the draft and they had a guy from Utah State and 2 guys from non-BCS level... and no Rex.

I wager that after say 3-4 years, were you to look at how well the RB's from this class contribute at the NFL level... that Rex would be in the top 20 and likely the top 10.

Its mostly because of what he was not capable of doing his Senior year. Marcus Lattimore should easily be a top 3 RB, but due to his injury, there is a lot of skepticism on what he can do at the next level, and how long he will last. He did have a much better career than Rex, but the same questions go for Rex, even though his injury wasn't close to being on the same level as Lattimore's. Had Rex been able to have a solid year, injury free, he would be a 3 rounder with ease.

Down the road, I think Rex will be that quality back for whatever team he lands on. He could end up being traded a couple times, until he finds that offense and coach that he meshes well with, and they know what he can do. Like I said before, he isn't a Frank Gore, Eddie Lacy, Trent Richardson, Arian Foster or Adrian Peterson, so I don't expect to see him as a big time starter, but he will be a quality, reliable back.

Its mostly because of what he was not capable of doing his Senior year. Marcus Lattimore should easily be a top 3 RB, but due to his injury, there is a lot of skepticism on what he can do at the next level, and how long he will last. He did have a much better career than Rex, but the same questions go for Rex, even though his injury wasn't close to being on the same level as Lattimore's. Had Rex been able to have a solid year, injury free, he would be a 3 rounder with ease.

Down the road, I think Rex will be that quality back for whatever team he lands on. He could end up being traded a couple times, until he finds that offense and coach that he meshes well with, and they know what he can do. Like I said before, he isn't a Frank Gore, Eddie Lacy, Trent Richardson, Arian Foster or Adrian Peterson, so I don't expect to see him as a big time starter, but he will be a quality, reliable back.

Seems like a reasonable assessment to me. He will be productive and where ever he goes the fans will love him. I think you are right... it is unlikely he'll be a star... but he will be good and again... I doubt 10 other backs will be better down the road.

I think you could compare Rex to Danny Woodhead. Woodhead signed as a free agent out of Chadron in 2008. Rex has a better shot of being drafted just by all the exposure he has had.

Rex and Danny are actually fairly similar if you think about it. Two guys who were undervalued for various reasons (Rex-speed & injuries, Woodhead-size & level of competition, Both-skin color), that are going to go to a team at cheap price and make contributions. Rex has more potential to develop into a feature back than Woodhead, but more than likely he will take on a similar role as a teams "swiss army knife" third down back. I don't think I'm saying anything everyone on here doesn't already know, but Rex brings tremendous value to any team. Excluding his character and leadership qualities, the guy can really play. He has power, quickness, vision, and short burst speed that I think can get 10-20 yards on a given play. In addition, I think if any team wanted to convert him to play the slot he would be incredibly effective. There may be backs in this draft that can do things better than Rex, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find any that can do all the things he can.

....undervalued for various reasons (skin color)

ummmm.....

I don't think I'm saying anything everyone on here doesn't already know

I disagree.

Be real, if they had a little more melanin they would valued higher. Position typing by race is very real.

As for the second part, you disagree that Rex Burkhead doesn't offer a very unique skill set, or are you just taking the skin color comment out of context?

....undervalued for various reasons (skin color)

ummmm.....

I don't think I'm saying anything everyone on here doesn't already know

I disagree.

Be real, if they had a little more melanin they would valued higher. Position typing by race is very real.

As for the second part, you disagree that Rex Burkhead doesn't offer a very unique skill set, or are you just taking the skin color comment out of context?

I don't think his skin color has anything to do with where he is placed at in the draft. If position typing by race was "very real", then why did a white QB go #1, and then a BLACK QB go #2 in the draft last year? No way a Black QB should have gone in the first round, based upon your statement you made. Landry Jones, and every other white QB should have gone before him, since majority of Hall of Famer's and currect QB's are white.

I really hope you don't have this same view out in the real world.

If you wanted to just be honest with yourself for 1 minute, and realize that Rex is just a slightly above average RB and played half of his Senior season due to an injury, had more to do with his draft placement than his color. His character is what sets him above most of those guys. Just because he excelled at more things in a practice combine, doesn't mean he is better than most of them. Eddie Lacey has proven that he is by far, the best RB coming into the combine, but IIRC, Rex outperformed him too.