And people think Nebraska has transfer problems

knapplc

Steven Bench@SBench12

I've decided to leave Penn State and go to a school that will give me the opportunity to compete for the QB spot and reach my full potential

Penn State QB Steven Bench to transfer

In a stunning bit of spring news, Penn State announced Wednesday that sophomore quarterback Steven Bench is transferring.

It's a shocking development since Bench was competing for the starting job and entered spring practice with the upper hand on the position as the Nittany Lions' only returning scholarship quarterback. No reason was given for Bench's decision.

Soon after the announcement, Bench tweeted: "I've decided to leave Penn State and go to a school that will give me the opportunity to compete for the QB spot and reach my full potential."

"I have been meeting with all the players this week with my evaluation of where they are at related to football and academics and to discuss what they need to work on this summer," Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien said in a statement released by the school. "After meeting with Steven, he informed me he wants to play elsewhere. We want what is best for Steven. I want to thank him for his contributions to the program. We wish Steven the best in the future and will assist him anyway we can."

Sucks when your only returning QB with any starting experience transfers. Granted, he's only a Sophomore, but now PSU enters the season with no QBs with Big Ten experience.

That trip to Happy Valley is looking a little easier.

Make no mistake. This is about the Sandusky scandal and sanctions, not some lame excuse about not having an opportunity to compete. It sucks to be Penn State right now. And will for the next decade.

UPDATE: It appears Bench decided to transfer after learning that Ferguson had won the job. While he told NittanyNation's Josh Moer that the decision wasn't totally based on falling to No. 2 on the depth chart, he also said the following about his meeting with O'Brien:

"It's out of my control, but I wasn't happy with it," he said. "I'm a competitor, so I'm not going to agree with that decision. But, at the same time, it's his decision and it's out of my control. I feel that it kind of left me no choice. I don't want to back anyone up. I want to play. I came here to play football.

Competitors don't give up.

• Fire 2

• 2 weeks later...