Strange Things Ive Noticed Lately

Both were very winnable games, as in we were close until the end unlike our in conference games.

If you allow 35+ points and 600 yards of offense, I don't really consider them winnable games.

The score definitely disagrees with you on "considering then winnable games". They were winnable, because our offense couldn't be stopped in the Georgia game, and the UCLA game was one play from working in our favor. You can't say the same thing about the other two games can you? Those two games were OURS to lose. Who freaking cares how many yards were given up, that doesn't counter the fact those games were winnable.

Your statement had nothing to do with offense or defense. Whatevs.

Yea, nothing to do with defense or offense... other than the part where I talk about the yards and points allowed.

You, uh, care to show me where that would be?

This is an excellent point. The Big 10 is pitiful right now, and the premier competition we faced out of conference, UCLA and Georgia.... it didn't go very well.

It's a simple fact really. Our losses to the out-of-conference "premier" competition were a hell of a lot more competitive than our 2 in-conference losses. That's all. It's doesnt matter what happened offensively or defensively. You said the out of conference games didnt go well in an effort to back up how pitiful the Big 10 and our team is, yet, I said they went better than the 2 conference losses. You made a statment about defense. I say the two non-con losses were more competitive than the conference losses. That's a pretty obvious fact isnt it? Each of those games were still winnable well into the 4th quarters. Wisconsin and Ohio St? CCG was over after the 1st quarter. Ohio St game was pretty much sewed up in the 3rd quarter.

The point wasn't necessarily that we didn't give up yards or points, but that we got stops when we needed to to keep our team in the game.

The defense occasionally decided to do their job, sure, but I don't think there's any denying the offense carried the team the vast majority of the time last year.

This is a disrespect to the effort and a slap in the face to the kids who suit up ever Saturday and sweat blood for the scarlet and cream.

sgthulka19a8ebad.jpg

It may seem like nothing to you but quotes like that happen too often and quite frankly, they are not true. Many of the players read these quotes. You don't think it has some effect on them if they are hearing it repeatedly. If you are putting your all into what you are doing only for someone who isn't able to walk a mile in your shoes to tell you that you lack the effort consistently, it will take an effect on you eventually. Nothing's wrong with discussing likes/dislikes/issues/etc... on a message board, everyone is open to their opinion, I just think some things said have no factual roots but they keep getting repeated thus causing others to eventually take it as "law".

This is an excellent point. The Big 10 is pitiful right now, and the premier competition we faced out of conference, UCLA and Georgia.... it didn't go very well.

Those two losses went a hell of a lot better than the 2 in-conference losses.

Yay we only gave up 45 points and 600 yards?? Hell of a standard Bo has set for himself.

Both were very winnable games, as in we were close until the end unlike our in conference games.

If you allow 35+ points and 600 yards of offense, I don't really consider them winnable games.

I would add too that Georgia was not intense at all. They viewed this game as a gimme and it showed. They took things seriously and woke up well into the game before the decided to play... and when that happened, the game was wildly one-sided.

It may seem like nothing to you but quotes like that happen too often and quite frankly, they are not true. Many of the players read these quotes. You don't think it has some effect on them if they are hearing it repeatedly. If you are putting your all into what you are doing only for someone who isn't able to walk a mile in your shoes to tell you that you lack the effort consistently, it will take an effect on you eventually. Nothing's wrong with discussing likes/dislikes/issues/etc... on a message board, everyone is open to their opinion, I just think some things said have no factual roots but they keep getting repeated thus causing others to eventually take it as "law".

Lack of effort wasn't the point of my statement. If "decided" is too harsh/offensive/whatever for you, simply replace it with "managed", if that would be a more favorable phrasing.

Bo can coach defense. People over look the conference change for a lot of the issues. U do not recruit a lot of linebackers in the big 12. The type of d line that you recruit is different. Big 12 was horizontal run league we're u needed athletic Dline that could move laterally. The B1G u need big physical heavy handed d line to hold the line of scrimmage and not lose ground. If u look at the 1 place on our defense with depth it is the position we recruited the Heck out of to win in the big 12. We have so many corner ans safety type players that would have played well in the pass happy big 12. Now 2 solid cb or safeties are on the sideline and replaced with 2 players that are our weakness (fisher and Whaley). I love the linebackers that we have recruited and our young Dline was brought into play a physical brand of football. I think bo has been trying to plug holes that he has had in personnel for the past couple years. Yes it is his job to recruit. But winning in 2 different leagues requires different types of players to recruit.

Another thing overlooked is staff turnover. If bo was so terrible and our scheme is so bad why is USC, LSU and other teams lining up to steal our coaches. We have lost our dc and 2 solid secondary coaches but our coaches are terrible and can't coach. If we can keep our staff together and get the personnel required to win in this conference bo will be a genius again.

Lastly, horrible defensive performances are everywhere. Yes we had a few bad ones last year but every defense took it on the chin last year. Bama was lit up, Georgia gave up huge games, USC defense got gashed in a few games and all those teams have loads of NFL talent. We didn't. Football has evolved. You play more plays per game against offenses attacking the entire field. The UCLA game we surrendered a lot of yards but played well enough to win the second half and that is how u judge a defense. Yards and points allowed can get misleading. You look at teams generally ranked high on defense and they are teams that control the clock.and.run the ball. Thus defending less snaps and shortening the game. Everyone loves Mich st defense but on the fourth quarter they lost 6 games bc they couldn't stop someone. Yet they are the number 4 defense in the land. They don't give up a ton of yards but they don't play a lot of snaps. We will be good again on defense soon. Let our young guys develop and restore the blackshirts pride. We will be a good ag