Miles closing recruits

Everything about Coach Miles has been great so far. I have been a huge fan of what he has done with very little, and has created the first true hype for Nebrasketball in years.... This place is becoming easier and easier to recruit to, but yet we have had that key big man, join yet.

This isnt an insult or even a concern at Miles. Just an observation. Lost out on Agau.. lost out on Atewe.. lost out on Sai.

Akoy wasnt a shocker... Atewe was and I think Sai was a bit of a surprise, but not huge loss.

Is this failure to get these 3 guys on Tim's inability to close, or just on where the program is and it is amazing we were even mentioned with these 3?

Miles got 2 big recruits IMO: Webster/Biggs.

I think his system is easy to sell to guys like that... My big concern is how can he get big boys in here, knowing that their main role will be to rebound and run.

• Fire 1

I'd say he is having trouble lately because many recruits just aren't sold that Nebraska will ever be able to be any kind of basketball power. Akoy wasn't a shocker at all, if anything it's surprising that Miles kept us in the talks so long, but weren't those other two recruits lost after the rest of the class had come together? As in Miles had pretty much gotten all of his targets and just had one more scholarship that he might be willing to give out? He might not have pursued them very hard from the beginning, putting us at an even larger disadvantage.

Considering we haven't been to the NCAA's since 1998 and aren't know for either a great home court advantage (like in football), he is doing fine. Especially since coaches Chin and Johnson have left in the last cycle, that is always going to halt recruiting momentum.

Once they actually see/feel the consistent home court sell out and we start winning (even relatively speaking), everything else will take care of itself and Miles can close.

Sorry Minnesota, but this is a rediculous notion: Atewe had pressure from an AAU coach, Sai lives in AZ and we were too late in the game for Ucherbo. We might have great facilities, but winning will help us recruit. Kids want to play and they want to go to the Dance.

I like that Miles is not in a big hurry to fill the schollies on the team. Because of Doc, he has to find D1 talent that want to play for NE. We cannot afford anymore transfers.

This is his first true recruiting class. Last year, he just tried to fill holes and there were a lot of them. Lets give him a little time. I am one who believes that we will be better this coming year. Also remember that we have 1 Sr. and this will be their second year under a new regime.

Sorry Minnesota, but this is a rediculous notion: Atewe had pressure from an AAU coach, Sai lives in AZ and we were too late in the game for Ucherbo. We might have great facilities, but winning will help us recruit. Kids want to play and they want to go to the Dance.

I like that Miles is not in a big hurry to fill the schollies on the team. Because of Doc, he has to find D1 talent that want to play for NE. We cannot afford anymore transfers.

This is his first true recruiting class. Last year, he just tried to fill holes and there were a lot of them. Lets give him a little time. I am one who believes that we will be better this coming year. Also remember that we have 1 Sr. and this will be their second year under a new regime.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!

I don't know all that much about basketball, but I think this is a situation that will take some time. Tim Miles isn't like Bob Huggins landing at Kansas State - Huggins was already a big name in coaching circles and able to get some big time recruits immediately. Miles is still an up and comer; we haven't seen what he is truly capable of. With his first class of recruits redshirted and ready to play this fall, with a sold-out brand spankin' new arena, there will be opportunities to open eyes that Miles simply couldn't do in his first year, aside from the energy he brings.

Some programs can have quick turnarounds, but since Nebraska is a basketball never-has-been, a little momentum will probably need to be built before expecting any huge recruiting splashes.

It's a timing issue. Recruiting to Nebraska is all about relationships. Miles and staff got the kids they did because they spent time building a relationship and convincing them of what their plan is. With these last few guys, they've giving Nebraska a look because of the facilities, but you can't make a snap decision to go to a joke of a program over a stable program, and at this point in the game snap decisions are what's being made because of the approaching deadline.

What is crazy about questioning his ability to close? I am not saying Miles is a bad coach or a bad recruiter or anything like that.. but we have lost out on 4 big men. 2 i dont blame him on(Akoy- Out of our league/ Uchebo-got in way to late)

I am not sharpening my pitchfork.. just bringing up a question.

Winning always helps. If we have success this coming year and have an electric atmosphere at the new place we will sign higher profile players. Take it to the bank.

I agree with you.

If this team can get a sniff at the dance late in the year... and sell out a good chunk of games.... WOW.. recruiting becomes so much easier for timmy.

• Fire 1

What is crazy about questioning his ability to close? I am not saying Miles is a bad coach or a bad recruiter or anything like that.. but we have lost out on 4 big men. 2 i dont blame him on(Akoy- Out of our league/ Uchebo-got in way to late)

Sorry Minnesota, Your view of these 4 big men are different then mine. We had an uphill battle in getting any of these guys for one reason or another. I think Miles has shown something by even getting a couple of these guys to visit. Good big men are hard to fine. I also believe that it is way to early to judge Miles ability to close.

Sorry Minnesota, Your view of these 4 big men are different then mine. We had an uphill battle in getting any of these guys for one reason or another. I think Miles has shown something by even getting a couple of these guys to visit. Good big men are hard to fine. I also believe that it is way to early to judge Miles ability to close.

I agree.. but I wanted to bring up a point to discuss at least.

Until we make some real noise, we probably shouldn't expect any big recruiting wins. Sure we have facilities and an arena, but Miles hasn't proven that he has a winning program yet.

hmmmmmmm did you see what Miles kids did for Colorado St this year. The kids we have coming in and who we red shirted are far more talented than we have seen in the past.