Miles closing recruits

Until we make some real noise, we probably shouldn't expect any big recruiting wins. Sure we have facilities and an arena, but Miles hasn't proven that he has a winning program yet.

hmmmmmmm did you see what Miles kids did for Colorado St this year. The kids we have coming in and who we red shirted are far more talented than we have seen in the past.

Colorado State doesn't play in the Big Ten. Sure, it's encouraging, lots of stuff is encouraging. Let's just not expect a bunch (or any) big time recruits to start showing up. Give him some time, a couple decent recruiting classes with unspectacular yet solid players, win a few more gamesTHEN we'll see if his program can hit its stride and start bringing in some big recruits. He didn't build any of his previous programs overnight - especially not CSU.

Miles had made huge strides with our team last year. Like others have already posted we had no business being competetive in almost all of the games we played in the B1G last year. Much less winning some of them. Miles knows how to coach and that will lead to alot of good recruits in the future.

Facilities can only take you so far. At the end of the day, most of these kids want to win and Nebraska hasn't consistently won since 1998. I don't think these recruiting losses are an indictment on his ability to finish the job on these guys but if I'm Coach Miles, I'm looking for big time recruiters to fill the assistant coaching position. This part is hard for me to say but, I really...like....what Creighton did to get a guy who has east coast recruiting ties and made room for him on the staff.

Recruiting is a process. Sure, some guys can be picked up late, but I don't think that's any coaches bread and butter. Coach has only been at Nebraska a year, so I say lets give him 3 years to see what he can do when he can start working on recruiting guys through 3 year cycle. I have faith that between his personality, our facilities, and his coaching style... we will start picking up some of these guys that we *BARELY* missed on this year.

I'm excited... really excited. I believe in Miles 100%. He will get it done.

• Fire 1

Again.. my question isnt on closing all recruits... It is about closing the bigs.

His offensive style is going to be fast paced I assume... I wonder if he has a hard time selling that to big guys because in his offense it wont run through the center.

The 5 and 4 might be more of a defensive presence.

That is my question, can he close big men?

Again.. my question isnt on closing all recruits... It is about closing the bigs.

His offensive style is going to be fast paced I assume... I wonder if he has a hard time selling that to big guys because in his offense it wont run through the center.

This question is too hard to answer right now. Nebraska did not have a big center for Miles to use. Almeida had bad knees and could not move and Ubel was a PF playing center. Both had their share of shots at times. I do believe he is looking for something that is more athletic. I also believe that we only seen a portion of Miles offense. Again, you can not judge his closing ability on the 4 PF/Cs we just lost. Don't forget Miller who decided to go to prep school, instead of play for NE. He is holding for a scholarship from MO or KS. Winning is the main key.

I think it's harder to get bigs because there are less of them. You have a lot more competition from established programs for those kind of players. If you miss on a PG or Wing you still have options. For the big fella's that's not necessarily true. So I don't think it has to do with scheme or style. I think it has to do with numbers and winning. Facilities definitely help. Just my opinion.

I think it's harder to get bigs because there are less of them. You have a lot more competition from established programs for those kind of players. If you miss on a PG or Wing you still have options. For the big fella's that's not necessarily true. So I don't think it has to do with scheme or style. I think it has to do with numbers and winning. Facilities definitely help. Just my opinion.

I agree! Quality big men are hard to find!

• 2 weeks later...

For what it is worth, NU has NOT had a 4 or 5 star recruit sign and come to campus since before Collier. Miles hasn't changed that, at least not yet.

Likewise, NU's BB program hasn't produced an NBA player since the days of Danny Nee.

To win NCAA tournament games, you need NBA bound talent.

For what it is worth, NU has NOT had a 4 or 5 star recruit sign and come to campus since before Collier. Miles hasn't changed that, at least not yet.

Likewise, NU's BB program hasn't produced an NBA player since the days of Danny Nee.

No, but Webster likely would have been an easy 4 star if he played in the states. I can't say whether or not he is NBA bound talent, but NBA level talent isn't necessary to start winning tournament games and get the ball rolling on bigger recruits.. I don't think Colorado State had any NBA talent, and I'm sure there are many better examples.

and how many tournament wins did that nba bound talent nee had get nebraska? it takes more than just talent alone to make the dance and win. and given what miles did with this past year's team, he has them going in the right direction.

No, but Webster likely would have been an easy 4 star if he played in the states. I can't say whether or not he is NBA bound talent, but NBA level talent isn't necessary to start winning tournament games and get the ball rolling on bigger recruits.. I don't think Colorado State had any NBA talent, and I'm sure there are many better examples.

Duke wins every year without NBA talent......... Oooooohhhhhh!!!!

:P

Duke wins every year without NBA talent......... Oooooohhhhhh!!!!

:P

No.. they have NBA talent... Not all have been super stars, but they have guys talented enough to play in the NBA, maybe not as STARS, but they play.